Reality of cargo trailers off road?

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Our 5x8 basecamp is coming along

s6rwYjI4VQFce85zoyomvEV1LRHr6WtxGae4rKz_dEDD6ohaY1c8bwXYr_F-RRqrr8EqoJHor8oCYlKrW2qddiBYlo71CEvrUcIo5ZSJZsjHPh9lvgtx2CyoQezNzNpKoErGKAM=w1104-h621-no

Kevin108

Explorer
On a technical trail of any real difficulty, I imagine the reality is a lot of frustration and inconvenience.

MOguy

Explorer
On a technical trail of any real difficulty, I imagine the reality is a lot of frustration and inconvenience.

Out my way trails are tight. Even the easiest trial may not be passable with a trailer. I would only take a trailer for base cramping.

kdj

Observer
I put cargo in my trailer does it count?
The only thing to drag was the tip of the tongue jack
d535a51994214248ff1d5540ebd3f8a1.jpg

973667e2009e1d382f9f875f381e7635.jpg

63cfb8e1be7d0fce56369a66b1d3c337.jpg

8f30cb94392775c7e4e663fc5b2d8056.jpg

1fdacedbd777085c5347b8743645ebc0.jpg

Is your trailer set up to haul your dirt bikes also? Looks like a bike mount on the front of fender. I'd like to see a pic if you have one. Great idea!

Is your trailer set up to haul your dirt bikes also? Looks like a bike mount on the front of fender. I'd like to see a pic if you have one. Great idea!

Yes i built it to still fit two bikes as that is why I originally bought the trailer as a flatbed. But my buddy was bored at work one day and drew this up in the computer to still carry two bikes and well we built it.
9d60ee763b4ba434c22ecc7461071038.jpg

Axel999

I bought a Hurst trailer,5x10 with 18 in expanded metal sides and a 4-foot rear flap. It was a great buy over the last decade. I think it's estimated at about 2500 bucks, but I uploaded it, and it did well. I pull him with a truck and I can not say he's back. The only complaint I would receive is the length of the tongue, maybe a few inches longer. I installed a toolbox in the language, and if I come off, the bumper just beats the box. I also use a utility trailer of this type https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-utility-trailers/ for garbage disposal in the production

USED_2016_Top_Hat_5x10_5000_Dump_Trailer_zbc0nI.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I spent all of High school and lots of my college time towing a cargo trailer through the desert and mountains with camp gear and 1-3 motorcycles. I always kept mine as a campground trailer because I would be riding the bikes and not needed the trailer to follow. Now that I am older and don't ride anymore I have been long thinking of this...I have always felt if the floor and frame was beffed up or stronger and there was a better suspension or axle set up for my cargo trailer I would be able to take it anywhere. The trailer I used in HS was just a typical cargo trailer with street tires and it did pretty decent in the dunes and desert rocks.

Take the aspect you like of your military trailer and copy or swap them onto the cargo trailer.

Also, I'm sure you're aware, I see adds on here all the time about the Timbren (I think) axleless trailer design....I looked at them about a year ago for something I was working on but took it a different direction.

GA Native

Built it on a 5x8 utility trailer. Flipped the axle and put beefier tires on. Welded some square tubing down the length of the trailer to strengthen its spine. Full bed in the camper and rtt on top20210430_183717.jpg accomodates my wife and two kids. A few thousand miles and no problems. Good tires and enough trailer weight to keep it firmly planted make all the difference on rough trails.

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Not that any of these photos are of truly tough terrain, but having had a cargo trailer camper for 3 years and having put it through a good bit of the Colorado Rockies, I would say it’s very doable.

We outfitted ours with Jeep CJ-7 leaf springs and lift and 33s and that makes a world of difference.

Extended the tongue, off road hitch, minimal frame reinforcement and zero issues or concerns.

67CC11B5-1C03-412C-8577-CF33C5032E92.jpegB5A0A81C-4070-454F-8EF6-C79AC3D263D7.jpeg82E01418-A1D3-4921-9A86-5C1CCAA2B33C.jpeg007492A7-4BFE-488D-8E53-FD50C2F7D32C.jpeg

Shredgnar

Bought this trailer recently. Can't take credit for the build, but it is pretty sweet. Used it on a recent trip through Moab and Sedona. Worked out great, needs a few tweaks. Flipped axle provides decent clearance, probably more than the truck till I put a lift on the truck. No problems getting in and out of multiple campsites and of course they're always less than optimal.

Also need to figure out a better tongue jack situation as this one likes to drag and doesn't go all the way up.
Not pictured in the WR250R in the trailer which necessitated the trailer in the first place.

I call it my "Poor Man's Toy Hauler". ;)

IMG_2179.jpg

cobrien0925

Built it on a 5x8 utility trailer. Flipped the axle and put beefier tires on. Welded some square tubing down the length of the trailer to strengthen its spine. Full bed in the camper and rtt on topView attachment 658163 accomodates my wife and two kids. A few thousand miles and no problems. Good tires and enough trailer weight to keep it firmly planted make all the difference on rough trails.
I like what you've done. I have a 5x10 utility trailer and thinking about doing the same thing. I like the idea of making it removable so I can still use the trailer as a originally designed (i.e. haul stuff LOL)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles