Real world mpg's

Seriously considering a fzj80 or maybe a 60 but mostly 80. Anyway am looking for real world mpg you good folks are getting. If you could also give a short list of mods so I get a better idea Thanks. This would be a daily driver (main reason mpg matters) adventure/expidition rig it will be slowly built over time and eventually become just the adventure/expedition rig.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I would not buy an 80 or 60 for the mileage or as a DD...my 80 gets around 12-13mpg on a good day here at 7000ft in N. AZ...my 60 doesn't do any better...Headed down and back to Prescott last weekend in the 80 and averaged 11.5 with two kayaks on the roof...pulling grades in the 80 is painful...painful...
Do you ski Wildcat???

Thanks!!! no I don't, but the wife has a very long time ago. As for dd duties I do have a 95 taco with 265k miles and patches on the frame that I can and will be still using but am looking for something I can load wife, kids, and dogs up in and go out exploring not necessarily all at once and also just take the dogs with me more often because there is just no room for them in the taco. I am interested in the cruisers because I am looking for something that is capable offroad but with room for more than just me.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
My bro lives in N. Coway...saw your location and "name"...
Anyway...my first post was too negative...I love my cruisers as do most everyone you meet here and I deal with the mileage...but I still have my Taco around for DD use...even my GMC 3500 gets better mileage than my cruisers...

gahi

Adventurer
Same here, 12-13 mpg around town and less when I spend a lot of time off-road. It goes up a bit on the highway. 4" lift, 315/75/16 tires. But otherwise pretty light.

Sloan

Explorer
My 60 usually gets 13-15 around town and 17-19 on the freeway. It's lifted with 33s with aluminum wheels, 3.73s, new carb and intake exhaust when I rebuilt the motor about 15K miles ago. I have come to realize that keeping it tuned and tire pressure is the key to getting better gas mileage. The freeway mileage difference is weird but if it's non traffic hours on in town freeways I get 17 ish but if I'm out of town running long distances it gets closer to 19. My 60 is my daily driver and I would not trade it for anything else. Every time I think about it I remember my low insurance, my $78 a year registration and my $65 a week gas bill doesn't seem so bad.

Cimarron13

I average 12. No better on highway than city. 192K with lift, bumpers, armor, and 285/75 Goodyear MTR's. The MTR's will drain your MPG's on any vehicle because of the weight.

CycloSteve

1996 FZJ80 with TRD S/C, armor, subtank, drawers, bumpers, winch, 315's, 4.88's and so on...I get between 8 and 13, and have averaged 11.8 over the past two years. Speedo is corrected and use Gas Cubby for tracking this and other vehicles in the stable. A highly modified expo 80 series is not an eco-box DD, but excels very well in its' intended purpose.

Cheers,

Steve

I really appreciate this, it is turning out about as I expected from all the reading I have done here. My practical side is having a hard time justifying one. But the rest of me is yelling at me just shut the hell up and get one think of all the places you can go and fun you can have with one, and it's not going to be forever because plans are for it to one day become just the fun time car. Probably whats hardest for me about it is that I also have a vw jetta tdi that gets 50mpg but is just to dang small for me to get in and out of, so am selling it next month once it's paid off. This site has not helped my practical side. Because ever since I found it........ Well I have always got offroad but never seriously and usually with a full size just for hunting and a bit of exploring not much again because of the full size. But now I find theres a whole community out there exploring not just a bunch of kids out there going over the biggest rock or through deepest mud whole. Anyway sorry for the ramble it's just after having my 4wheeler and seeing all the hiding places that are right out my back door and finding this place I see that I can get my wife and maybe my 2 duaghters out with me.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I really appreciate this, it is turning out about as I expected from all the reading I have done here. My practical side is having a hard time justifying one. But the rest of me is yelling at me just shut the hell up and get one think of all the places you can go and fun you can have with one, and it's not going to be forever because plans are for it to one day become just the fun time car. Probably whats hardest for me about it is that I also have a vw jetta tdi that gets 50mpg but is just to dang small for me to get in and out of, so am selling it next month once it's paid off. This site has not helped my practical side. Because ever since I found it........ Well I have always got offroad but never seriously and usually with a full size just for hunting and a bit of exploring not much again because of the full size. But now I find theres a whole community out there exploring not just a bunch of kids out there going over the biggest rock or through deepest mud whole. Anyway sorry for the ramble it's just after having my 4wheeler and seeing all the hiding places that are right out my back door and finding this place I see that I can get my wife and maybe my 2 duaghters out with me.

There are some excellent vehicles that span the gap between a 12mpg 'cruiser and a 50mpg Jetta, that will get you and your family out and enjoying this country.

The way I see it, you'd be trading a vehicle that is poorly suited for what you want to do due to size/ground clearance, etc, for another vehicle that is poorly suited, due to extreme fuel thirst and the propensity to luring you into spending more time slapping on accessories than actually driving it overland...(If this is what you REALLY want to do, be honest, accept it and realize that you'll simply enjoy driving a classy 4x4 wagon around town and on short camping trips.

Nothing wrong with that :ylsmoke:

To me, the middle ground is something like a subaru forester(25mpgs or more), Diesel jeep(20-22ish mpgs), diesel or subaru powered westfalia (AWD, or RWD, about 20-25mpgs), or maybe a nice example of a trooper, Cherokee or Montero (all of which get around 17-19 mpgs while travelling, usually)

None of these is a cruiser, but then again, ALL of them will take you further on a $4.00 gallon of gas, in comfort and style, than the cruiser will, and honestly, if actually getting out is the goal, is a point that might be worth your consideration. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94