Real world mpg's on a Ford with a...

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
...straight 6?

I'm looking at a late 70's Ford E150 "shorty", 2wd, with the straight 6 motor and auto trans.

I'm really looking at getting out of my Toyota 4wd since I never use 4wd and switching over to a van for a DD. No need for 4wd now nor in the near future so I'm cool with 2wd. I love the shorty vans and I know the 6 has a good rep as a motor, but not sure about mpg's.

Anyone know approximately what this set up might achieve? Plans would eventually just be for a rear seat that folds down and maybe some limited inside storage.

Also, how many miles are the straight-6 motors good for? The one I'm looking at has 136,000 original.

Thanks!

Last edited:

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Guess I'll answer my own question. From my early research, 13-18 at best. Too bad. Not sure I would trade down to that kind of mpg. I did learn, however, that this motor is gear driven. Who knew? And that it it can last to 300k before major work is needed. Some have gone 800k. seems to be very torquey at low RPM's and the older pre 1972 motors had the highest HP and torque. I'd prefer the fuel injection models, but would really like to see better mpg's than what I'm finding. Same van, but with a diesel is what I'm after I guess. Maybe swap the 300 6 for a Cummins? Probably not in a 1/2 ton.

Tamper84

If its the 300 you can't hardly kill them. You have to try to kill them. I've owned two of them. Torque but in a heavier vehicle, don't plan on a whole bunch of speed in a short distance.

Chris

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Now you're talking! I think that would actually do really well in that setup. I know there is a guy on here with a F150 and a 4BT swap that he seems very happy with. Only drawback I suppose is that I hear they are really noisy w/a lot of vibration...but I would think that's just par for having a diesel?... Know anything about the Cummins 3.3?

the 4bt would be killer in there!

It's the 300 and yeah, the stories of people trying to kill them is hilarious. No oil, no coolant, no luck killing it. Great motor from the sounds of it. A buddy had one in a 66 F100. I loved that truck, but he swapped to a 302 against my objections. I just really need more than 13-18 mpg. My Toyota, not geared proper, is bad enough.

If its the 300 you can't hardly kill them. You have to try to kill them. I've owned two of them. Torque but in a heavier vehicle, don't plan on a whole bunch of speed in a short distance.

Chris

I'm planning on switching away from land based expo opportunities so may even consider looking at...gulp...a Camry. I need some cash, and I need some better mpg's right now.

r_w

Adventurer
I hear you. I went to a ...double gasp.... corolla as my commuter. Cheap low miles with some body damage (knicknamed two-face to tell you the extent of it) that paid for itself in 3-4 months in fuel savings.

The Ford 300 is the gasser equivalent of the Cummins. They can easily go 300k, and then they need rings and a valve job and can go to a milllion. But you are not going there fast.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Oh, I'm looking at a Corolla too. But at 6'3", it might be a little to small. I love my truck, but I'm not using it like intended and life is shifting...as it does and I need to shift my priorities.

On one forum someone mentioned turbocharging the 300 for more power, but I never found any examples in my quick research. Someone did mention the 300k mark and rings and valves though. Maybe down the road I'll have to consider putting together a shorty 2WD van with the 4BT. MPG's should be pretty good in that setup.

r_w

Adventurer
I am 6-2 and the only thing I did to the corolla was RAISE the seat about as far as I could get away with for headroom. Made it much more comfortable. Used two layers of add-on seat cushions.

But the old camry gets the same mileage as a corolla (at least the auto versions) so it is a better ride for only the up front cost difference.

I am going to do a 4bt conversion in something--either my E350 or my 62 F100 4wd that is up on blocks.

bdog1

Adventurer
My ext.94 van 300 6 gets 15-16 mpg, with the 4:10s. It's spinning pretty good at 70! 300/c6 and dana 60...I'm calling it bulletproof! (just 2 wheel drive)

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I am 6-2 and the only thing I did to the corolla was RAISE the seat about as far as I could get away with for headroom. Made it much more comfortable. Used two layers of add-on seat cushions.

But the old camry gets the same mileage as a corolla (at least the auto versions) so it is a better ride for only the up front cost difference.

I am going to do a 4bt conversion in something--either my E350 or my 62 F100 4wd that is up on blocks.

Old Camry's is what I usually look for. I had an '89 wagon previously and loved it, minus the auto trans. Just missed out on a very low mile 5spd Alltrac in the exact colors I want. Just didn't have the cash upfront.

A 4BT is what I was thinking for a van too. Start with the 300 6 and run that for a while until the 4BT is ready for install. The 300 is bullet proof and a wonderful motor, but a 4BT would be great. Was originally thinking a 4BT in a 2WD camper van. That should work out to some very good mpg's. Just can't convince myself that 2WD is what I could live with. Want something eventually that could take me into the mountains in the winter.

bdog1

Adventurer
My 4x4 7.3 loaded gets 15mpg on 33s. Loaded. It's a non turbo ext. van w4:10s. The real plus is no pricy parts or electronics and it burns anything!

cowboy4x4

Explorer
2001 Two wheel drive 7.3 mini mod ambulance 13 HWY..... even my 2003 F350 4x4 four door dually 7.3 got no better than 13.... I always kept hearing people say they got 18-20 but I have never seen it from day 1. I'm hoping when I turn the mini mod to 4x4 it will stay the same(hope) being the key word there.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
none of you are helping here ;)

i guess that's what's to be expected though. big, heavy, 4wd... they ain't no hybrids.

i'm going to have to wait on a van for a while anyways...life changes. but, it will be a second vehicle then so i'm not going to overly concern myself with mpg's.

bdog- how's the power from your IDI? are hill's slow going? cruising speed? any desire for a turbo? i read good things about the old IDI diesels. as with all motors, they apparently have their own set of issues to watch out for (i.e. cavitation), but people seem to love them.

My 4x4 7.3 loaded gets 15mpg on 33s. Loaded. It's a non turbo ext. van w4:10s. The real plus is no pricy parts or electronics and it burns anything!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94