Real world MPG/experiences

phsycle

Adventurer
Since I wouldn’t be using it to it’s full capacity, price at the pump would start eating away at me and I would start hating it. Like my old ZJ getting 15mpg at best. 1/2 tons are probably the best choice for me.

ricoisme26

Curious if you made a decision/purchase? I currently have a 2012 F150 CC short bed, stock wheels/tires/suspension get about 15 city and 17-18 highway. Considering a 2017+ SD with the 6.2 for the additional towing capacity, plus who doens't want to run 37s?

Curious if you made a decision/purchase? I currently have a 2012 F150 CC short bed, stock wheels/tires/suspension get about 15 city and 17-18 highway. Considering a 2017+ SD with the 6.2 for the additional towing capacity, plus who doens't want to run 37s?

I actually ended up buying a 2013 Raptor SCREW and forgot to update this thread! Been having an absolutely blast. Ended up not giving a ******** about MPG and have been averaging 12 hahaha went for fun and enjoyment and I’ll leave gas mileage for my Honda Accord

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
This is true and I agree with what's probably the intended interpretation of it (i.e. if what you're going to do is load it up anyway, just get a 3/4 ton..) but I also look at the same idea from the opposite angle. Don't do the oversized tires/overloaded truck thing if you don't actually need that.

When I'm uhh "overlanding" I pack like a backpacker. Because if backpackers can cross the continent on a 35lb pack with resupply stops 3-4 days apart I think I can somehow manage well inside the 1380lb cargo+passenger limit indicated on my door pillar sticker. Similarly I've done my share of rock crawling, got my fill.. if I can't get somewhere on a modestly equipped truck there's a good chance I would enjoy walking the last couple miles more than forcing a tin can through anyway.

So in other words you can get half ton mpg from a half ton it's easy; keep it simple. :)
Well stated. We've had the Northstar for 20 years now and still pack light. We set up in 30 minutes or so and repack in a bit more. We get to places and people take two hrs setting up and half the morning repacking.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.

If you're looking at that, may as well consider the 7.3 gasser.

ricoisme26

I'd have to wait a few years for the 7.3s to start hitting the used market. I do like the new 7.3 on paper and from the reviews i've read. I was just thinking current situation, actually found a 2018 lariat F250 crew cab 6.2 locally but it sold almost immediately never had a chance to look at it.

Hopefully my situation changes from "it would be nice" to own a 3/4 ton to "i need" to scratch my itch and push me over the edge on a purchase

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That's what I'm thinking too. A 6.2L with a 6 speed and a 7.3L with a 10 speed I'm thinking MPG wouldn't be terribly different.

Now if Ford put the 10 speed behind the 6.2 I bet it wouldn't be that much different than my 5.0L with a 6 speed and 3:73's... Maybe. Purely speculating.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
@ricoisme26, Fair I know I usually think of the new market with the trucks and thats on me. If I had to choose I would go 6.7, but the 7.3 is MILES better of an option than the 6.2. I know its similar to what I have in my F150 but I feel like the 6.2 is just not a great engine for those trucks.

@Todd n Natalie I think the 7.3 should get better mileage with 10 speed and 3.73s... I don't know what combination is available with those trucks just yet but 3.90 would probably be a nice sweet spot. I like more gearing than not, I still kind of regret going with 4.88 in the Jeep instead of 5.13.

D

Deleted member 9101

That's what I'm thinking too. A 6.2L with a 6 speed and a 7.3L with a 10 speed I'm thinking MPG wouldn't be terribly different.

Now if Ford put the 10 speed behind the 6.2 I bet it wouldn't be that much different than my 5.0L with a 6 speed and 3:73's... Maybe. Purely speculating.

A few months ago Ford said that the 7.3/10 speed got the same fuel economy as the 6.2/6 speed.

If they put the 10 speed behind the 6.2...it would probably never have to rev over 2500 RPMs....haha.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
If it helps, our heap (2011 6.2 superduty) rolling at 10,000lbs with a big camper & 35's has been averaging 9-10MPG
over the course of the last 10k miles, nearly all of which are North Idaho miles, so little to no flat stuff.

50131644156_e36b6bf62e_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier