Real World Gas Mileage in a Quigley E350 V10??????

Jb1rd

Explorer
Title pretty much says it all, curious to see if the offset in cheaper initial purchase price holds up over the long term. Found one in Southern Florida of all place listed in Ebay for what seems to be a good price. What says the group???? I love my Sprinter but if the move goes as expected, (back to Colorado) a 4x4 will be key.

java

Expedition Leader
just did 1k mile trip in this, its a bit bigger than a standard van.... 12k lbs. Got 7.7mpg @ 70 mph over a 50 gallon tank. Backroads mixed 55-65 was 8.34 over 30-40 gallons

cowboy4x4

Explorer
98 V10, Quigley 33'' tires, 66K on the clock, 9mpg off road, 9.5mpg on road, 10mpg (65-70 mph) is the best I have ever gotten..... Thats as real as it gets for me.

Jb1rd

Explorer
just did 1k mile trip in this, its a bit bigger than a standard van.... 12k lbs. Got 7.7mpg @ 70 mph over a 50 gallon tank. Backroads mixed 55-65 was 8.34 over 30-40 gallons

OUCH!!!!!!! That is rough, the 21-24 I get in my Sprinter makes me smile every time I fill up, but its not 4wd and if I end up back in Colorado it makes me a bit nervous. I never minded driving my Westy but the engine is over the rear axle and I never got stuck, the *** end on this thing spins out if I am on any incline can't imagine snow and ice.

jjohnny350

Adventurer
I think the diesel is the way to go if you want mpg. I have a 99 e350, 5.4 v8, ujoint 6", 35" muds. I get 9-13 depending on how much loaded down. If I am loaded down its gutless. Possibly with nothing inside and very small light tires you could get 15 with mine. I will go with the diesel next time.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I wonder if a simple annual budget adjustment/reconfigure wouldn't help things considerably?

Figure out what you can, and are willing, to spend on gas annually and start from there, rather than wishing for numbers from a vehicle not designed for economy?

If you need the vehicle to get an average of 15mpgs, an E350 is clearly not for you. It'll never do it, and you'll pour money into an unsuitable vehicle.

I myself can afford to have a vehicle that gets north of 15mpgs and not much more...once I figured that out, and was okay with it. I picked a few vehicles based on my personal requirements (3 kids, cavernous storage for lots of gear, tow capable, 4wd, ARB upgrades available, etc) and tried to choose the cleanest, most well-maintained one.

Jb1rd

Explorer
I wonder if a simple annual budget adjustment/reconfigure wouldn't help things considerably?

Figure out what you can, and are willing, to spend on gas annually and start from there, rather than wishing for numbers from a vehicle not designed for economy?

If you need the vehicle to get an average of 15mpgs, an E350 is clearly not for you. It'll never do it, and you'll pour money into an unsuitable vehicle.

I myself can afford to have a vehicle that gets north of 15mpgs and not much more...once I figured that out, and was okay with it. I picked a few vehicles based on my personal requirements (3 kids, cavernous storage for lots of gear, tow capable, 4wd, ARB upgrades available, etc) and tried to choose the cleanest, most well-maintained one.

Sorry for my lack of math skills but what is the best way to do that?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Sorry for my lack of math skills but what is the best way to do that?

No problemo, lets take your sprinter for example.

Lets say you drive 5000 miles per year.

And you said you get around 21-24mpgs, right?

I have NO idea what diesel costs right now, but lets call it $4.00 on average in your area.

So 5000 (total estimated miles) divided by 21 mpgs (estimated worst economy) = total number of gallons you'll need to drive that mileage (238 gallons)

So take 238 and multiply it by the average fuel cost ($4.00) and you should get a rough estimate of what your annual fuel cost will be: $938.00

We can do that with the E350, too.

5000 miles divided by 8.5mpgs = 588 gallons
588 gallons times $3.75(estimated gas cost) =
$2205 annual fuel cost

As you can see, your fuel cost more than doubled with the 4x4 van, but here's the thing. E350 v10's are very reliable, very common, and that van packs a TON of utility into a very small, nimble package. If you CAN budget for that fuel cost each year, and are not suprised by it, and the van fits your needs/wants, I think you'll find a very low amount of regret when paying for fuel no matter which one you choose.

That's one thing I had to come to terms with when having a family size larger than 4. For us to be comfortable, it simply puts us into a bigger vehicle category. I LOVE 1st gen 4runners and generally smaller rigs with their accompanying economy, but we simply don't fit. :)

Last edited:

Jb1rd

Explorer
No problemo, lets take your sprinter for example.

Lets say you drive 5000 miles per year.

And you said you get around 21-24mpgs, right?

I have NO idea what diesel costs right now, but lets call it $4.00 on average in your area.

So 5000 (total estimated miles) divided by 21 mpgs (estimated worst economy) = total number of gallons you'll need to drive that mileage (238 gallons)

So take 238 and multiply it by the average fuel cost ($4.00) and you should get a rough estimate of what your annual fuel cost will be: $938.00

We can do that with the E350, too.

5000 miles divided by 8.5mpgs = 588 gallons
588 gallons times $3.75(estimated gas cost) =
$2205 annual fuel cost

As you can see, your fuel cost more than doubled with the 4x4 van, but here's the thing. E350 v10's are very reliable, very common, and that van packs a TON of utility into a very small, nimble package. If you CAN budget for that fuel cost each year, and are not suprised by it, and the van fits your needs/wants, I think you'll find a very low amount of regret when paying for fuel no matter which one you choose.

That's one thing I had to come to terms with when having a family size larger than 4. For us to be comfortable, it simply puts us into a bigger vehicle category. I LOVE 1st gen 4runners and generally smaller rigs with their accompanying economy, but we simply don't fit. :)
Cool, thank you, that was a lot simpler than I had made it out to be. I am an Acupuncturist and only passed math classes with a little (cough cough) help :) Looking at it in that perspective it lets me see it in a whole new light. I suppose I can always sale the Sprinter in Colorado if need be.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Sure thing!

You may very well decide that extra $ isn't worth it for what you gain in the E-350, or maybe a 7.3L E-350 is calling your name like another poster mentioned. That would come a bit more towards your current expenditure fuel-wise.

I thought that I heard rumors of a 4wd or AWD version of the sprinter was due to be released? Maybe that's your perfect situation? You take a bit of a hit on MPG's but you stick with a platform you know, and gain the traction/rough road ability you desire/need.

medicfernando

Adventurer
My 2003 SMB, 7.3, 4x4 averages 15 all around. Have gotten as low as 13 and as high as 18 at a constant 50MPH. Not bad. I can live with 15mpg for a 4x4, 10,000 pound vehicle. Good luck!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
My 2003 SMB, 7.3, 4x4 averages 15 all around. Have gotten as low as 13 and as high as 18 at a constant 50MPH. Not bad. I can live with 15mpg for a 4x4, 10,000 pound vehicle. Good luck!

So using the math from page 1

5000 miles divided by 13mpgs = 384.6 gallons

384.6 gallons x our mythic $4.00 diesel price = $1538.40 annual fuel cost

Now remember, thats calculating cost as "worst case" all the time. If it gets better mpg's than you'll be under budget. Honestly, $1500.00 isnt a HUGE jump from your sprinter's numbers as we're calculating them. I would think that a quigley-converted e-350 in good shape, ready for an interior mod/poptop conversion would be around the same money as a sprinter, too? Not sure on that assertion these days. Haven't price checked vans in a few years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles