Real World Gas Mileage in a Quigley E350 V10??????

Shocker

VanDOOM!
With all this being said is an offer of $5k reasonable for this particular van? I know it is kind of hard to make assumptions not seeing it in person but the description and pics seem pretty decent. Keep in mind I am trading one project for another so I want to be some what realistic in over expectation. (the Sprinter is mechanically sound and runs like a top, but has internal rust issues that are going to chew up a minimum of $2000 and possibly as much as $5000 depending how far I let them go with it or just stay ultra cheap and do the minimum, ie not so professional route) So lets choose the route for simplicity sake of keeping it cheap, that means I have a known 2k going into rust repair before I even start the interior build out for stealth camper, but I save 7-10k by already having a vehicle I can stand up in. Sooooo many factors to consider. But then I gain 4wd :Wow1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171236676647?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Ok, here is my 2 cents after having looked at a lot of vans before I bought VanDOOM. I feel that 5k would not be a bad offer to start, but there are 6 offers already. There are a lot of unanswered questions, but the rust issue doesn't appear too bad in the pics. All 4 tires are different which is always a flag to me. 133k on a well maintained V10 is nothing. I personally feel if you got it for 6k, you might be alright. But that is looking at pics from the comforts of my couch at home. Can't you get a look at it?

Last edited:

Jb1rd

Explorer
UPDATE: talked with the dealer and he is firm at $6900 it's not drivable as there are no brakes except the E-brake. It is 3.5 hours away and I will need it transported over or need to drive over and rent a uhaul and tow dolly to get it back here to do the work. So besides the brakes yes def 4 new tires, does anyone know what size quigley used standard? I am guessing I am looking at $1000 just for tires and was budgeting $1000 for total brake job. This puts me into it for $9300ish, before I even drive it and find out what else might be wrong,ie steering components, suspension, trans, etc. I feel conflicted as it seems like a good van but it just seem like $6900 is-bit much I would feel a lot better at $6000. Suggestions/advice is def appreciated and that you all for weighing in, it's a big decision for me and my family.

Oogs

2013 V10 EB50 SMB High Top Quadvan 4x4 33" tires w 4.30 gears I get 9.5 or worse depending on how I drive. I had an 04 6 liter diesel RB50 PH Quigley 33" tires w 3.73 gears and averaged 12.5-13. Cost of ownership over 8 years and 88k miles including maintenance, up front cost for the diesel, extra fuel costs and thousands in repairs was $22K. You read it right....$22,000 over 8 years. Do I miss the torque and fuel mileage of the diesel...absolutely. Based on the proven track record of the V10 I shouldn't have to do anything but oil changes for a long time and they're a lot cheaper.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

jronwood

Adventurer
This is a graveyard topic over 7 years old. BUT, still poinyent. Thanks to everyone for their input. Worth mentioning E Series a never had the 3 valve 5.4 or v10...always 2 valve.

Looking at a v10 vs 5.4 ...I have had 7.3 in trucks....good engine, just fuel is 15-20% more and mileage doesn't make up for that....combined w/ bitter cold starting concerns ...I LOVE the quiet gasser purring beneath the dog box. I am running 2wd E350 med high topper wheelchair van w/ 5.4, 3:73 from an ambo fleet. I get 13-17. At that mpg I'd HAVE to get 19-20 in a diesel. I did just buy the last few E350 Ambos from their fleet. All VERY clean, some w/ fresh trannys....all oil changes at 3000 miles. Got a few v10s ...gonna run one this weekend on a trip and see what it will do. I can convert one to 4x .
.but if I stick w/ v10 perhaps I haul my CJ7, and moto to explore. Its 2000 miles to the rockies from where I am.

Axelwik

I have a 5.4L gas 2WD E350. It gets around 15 mpg if I drive it at a reasonable pace. If you factor in all the costs, including the increased price for diesel fuel, increased maintenance costs for a diesel engine, and the whopping premium of buying a diesel van vs. a gas van over the expected life of the vehicle, then my gas powered van is far cheaper to run.

A friend who has a Sprinter spun a bearing at only 150K miles, and after replacing the engine he's still having trouble, not to mention all the other issues he's had with it through the years. My old gasser E350 hasn't caused any problems at all.

billiebob

I have a 5.4L gas 2WD E350. It gets around 15 mpg if I drive it at a reasonable pace. If you factor in all the costs, including the increased price for diesel fuel, increased maintenance costs for a diesel engine, and the whopping premium of buying a diesel van vs. a gas van over the expected life of the vehicle, then my gas powered van is far cheaper to run.

A friend who has a Sprinter spun a bearing at only 150K miles, and after replacing the engine he's still having trouble, not to mention all the other issues he's had with it through the years. My old gasser E350 hasn't caused any problems at all.
Yep, have a buddy, he's had all the diesels over the past 10 years, break downs, shop time, maintenance were killing him, he had Ford, Chev and Dodge. 3 years ago he bought a HD Chev gas job. Flawless truck. He owns a gravel business and puts 24K miles a year on it. He has a fleet of Macks that are flawless too but those diesels have nothing in common with pickup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles