Real world experience with AEV High Capacity JKU springs (or other HD springs)

dukabor

Happy Monday,

After about 4 years of my Rock Krawler springs, its time to look for an upgrade, the RTT and all the other overland gear (and I am sure a big ol heavy 40 on the tire carrier isn't helping either) I am seeing some sag and signs of bowing....

Does anyone have opinions on their experience with the AEV High Capacity springs? looking at the 4.5 inch ones, but will take all opinions.... the jeep is always 70% loaded, set to go at a moments notice, so it will never be truly 'unloaded'.....

If there are other springs out there that you believe may also work I am all ears.....

Thanks.....

wandererr

Adventurer
No experience with AEV but I played with the Terraflex HD springs and they were way stiff and gave me crazy lift which didn't settle with load.

Next I went with OME 300# springs and they are amazing. They keep the jeep fairly 'flat' even with load changes. Even when I hookup the trailer there is only slight movement downwards.

I also like the way they rise - suspension is very responsive. Oh yeah.... I have rear OME springs 2.25" and front Rubicon springs with a spacer.

dukabor

Thanks,

I considered OME, but was hesitant about the 4" springs not being able to give enough lift for my setup, typically not their forte to be in that high, but its how i've set myself up!

I decided to bite the bullet on the AEV 4.5's and will let everyone know how it works out!

SBSYNCRO

Following. I’m running RK 2.5 (which is more like 3.5 front and 2.25 rear). Interested to see how the AEVs suit your need. I’m running a similarly heavy setup but 35’s on stock Rubicon axles with MCE flares so I don’t need the lift you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harpersJK

I've been running the 4 1/2" HC springs for over a year now and I'm very happy with them. Typically I'm loaded down about the same, fairly heavy rig. I tried other setups, but they would sag or bottom out frequently.

No complaints at all, I'm on Currie axles and currently running 37's.
20210721_072735.jpg
Randy
Instagram: overland_rubi

dukabor

Thanks guys.....

Installed is lined up for the 3rd week of August at this point, looking forward to the results, thanks for your input and I will make sure to provide a thorough review

dukabor

Install is complete....

First impressions of a half a tank on road, somewhat maintained gravel road and a few moves through the ditch....

Significantly improved ride quality, much less bouncing and swaying, the AntiRocks are probably not working overtime anymore, especially with a RTT and awning up there....

Will post some before and after pictures when I can, the passenger rear spring was pretty fatigued, I am sure a GenRight steel swing out with a beadlocked 40 on there did not help as I tend to keep it swung out at camp (I am contemplating a 'kickstand' to help that scenario)....

measured from the ground through the middle of the hubs to the bottom edge of the Poison Spyder flares: (I did not measure too specifically, i.e. up to the .5 inch)

before (with fatigued RK 5.5" springs)

F

47.5" 47"

46" 45"

R

after (with new AEV HC 4.5" springs)

F

46" 46"

46" 46"

R

I have yet to really flex it out, and I have trimmed the rear pinch seam, but am not fully loaded for a trip..... once I do if there is any concerns i may go with a 3/4 spacer in the rear and/or trim some more..... I have Nitto Trail Grapplers mounted now but also have a set of 40" Treps mounted up that may necessitate a bit more clearance, but time will tell.

All in all very impressed with the springs, though it is early, and I was comparing to some pretty weak sauce (especially in the rear), so I will update if required...

here are the before pics (slight incline)

Driv side before.jpg

Pass side before.jpg

billiebob

Install is complete....

First impressions of a half a tank on road, somewhat maintained gravel road and a few moves through the ditch....

Significantly improved ride quality, much less bouncing and swaying, the AntiRocks are probably not working overtime anymore, especially with a RTT and awning up there....

Will post some before and after pictures when I can, the passenger rear spring was pretty fatigued, I am sure a GenRight steel swing out with a beadlocked 40 on there did not help as I tend to keep it swung out at camp (I am contemplating a 'kickstand' to help that scenario)....

measured from the ground through the middle of the hubs to the bottom edge of the Poison Spyder flares: (I did not measure too specifically, i.e. up to the .5 inch)

before (with fatigued RK 5.5" springs)

F

47.5" 47"

46" 45"

R

after (with new AEV HC 4.5" springs)

F

46" 46"

46" 46"

R

I have yet to really flex it out, and I have trimmed the rear pinch seam, but am not fully loaded for a trip..... once I do if there is any concerns i may go with a 3/4 spacer in the rear and/or trim some more..... I have Nitto Trail Grapplers mounted now but also have a set of 40" Treps mounted up that may necessitate a bit more clearance, but time will tell.

All in all very impressed with the springs, though it is early, and I was comparing to some pretty weak sauce (especially in the rear), so I will update if required...

here are the before pics (slight incline)

View attachment 678880

View attachment 678879
look forward to the after pics....
and a performance update

LostJ8

I am installing ProRock 60s and swapping in some 4.5HC for my 3.5s. can’t wait to get it all together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles