Real MPGs for your rig?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Well then, the diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee might be what you want. It’s medium sized, not quite small, but then again it seats only 5 so it’s on the small side.

(Roof rack and space case)
View attachment 488795

(Camping by the Rome Pillars in Southern Oregon)
View attachment 488798

(By the Rome Pillars in Southern Oregon)
View attachment 488799

(On the Burning Man Playa, with a 40-gallon water tank strapped to the roof)
View attachment 488800

Mine is a 2016 “JGC CRD”, 8-speed auto, with 255/70-18 A/T tires (32”) on a stock Quadra-Lift suspension, and a roof rack with small space case. JGC CRD = Jeep Grand Cherokee common-rail diesel — Jeep calls it the Eco-Diesel, but E.D. is something you buy little blue pills for so I call it the JGC CRD.

Using the paddle shifters to upshift a little early and hold a higher gear, and also by not driving fast, lately I’ve been able to get 25-30 MPG on the highway, and 20-25 MPG in the city. If I don’t do that, and if I drive “smartly to assertively”, I get 19-24 MPG in all-around driving.

But once, there was one time on a long trip that I tried hyper-miling it — on a flat I-5 from Los Banos CA up to Shasta and then south to L.A., using paddle shifters to set and hold 8th gear, I got 34 MPG for an entire tank. The tank holds 25 gallons, and 34 MPG means that I was able to go 835 miles between fillups on that drive. That 835 miles is the farthest I’ve gone on a single tank, so far.

30-34 MPG is not too shabby for a decently trail-capable 4x4 rig.

I couldn’t swallow the Jeep part. I’ve seen 20mpg highway in my FJ40 brick. 33s, lift, 6’4” before the rack. It has room to improve on mpg if it had a newer carb. It has 250k miles and will easily go for another 250k miles of whatever I can throw at it. With open diffs it doesn’t seem to like snow over 3’ deep... unless it’s firm enough to climb on top of.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The quality of build and the durability... compared to a Land Cruiser. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some really nicely built up jeeps... after dumping a fortune into them they reach what I started with. Although some of the newer Jeeps are getting better, it's hard to forget.

I'm old school. I've got a '74 and it has 9.5" ring gears out of the gate. It has a 1 ton drive train that makes stock Jeeps look wimpy.

86scotty

Cynic
The quality of build and the durability... compared to a Land Cruiser. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some really nicely built up jeeps... after dumping a fortune into them they reach what I started with. Although some of the newer Jeeps are getting better, it's hard to forget.

I'm old school. I've got a '74 and it has 9.5" ring gears out of the gate. It has a 1 ton drive train that makes stock Jeeps look wimpy.

But does it have heated seats and bluetooth? :D

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
What's a payment? Do you mean paying for gas? Or paying for it in full with cash.

What are heated seats? Why would I want to have a blue tooth? Radio hasn't worked in years... and even though I've had a spare sitting on a shelf for 15 years... the 350 with an RV cam and dual exhaust has been all I have needed for "music". May need to install the stereo now that I've switched to an almost silent single exhaust... but the 4 barrel still makes its own note.

86scotty

Cynic
Not sure you guys got the joke.

I love old vehicles but modern creature comforts are nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjken

Explorer
Just calculated 12.7 on hway some traffic mostly running between 60-70 mph.

Looks like I’m getting around 14 + ish on most recent trip.
I think I miscalculated last time since I did not account for larger tires!

Theshwed

2002 Ford E350 RWB. V10 with About 100k miles on it. Quigley 4wd with Agile RIP kit and 33s. 8500# as built and fully loaded.
10mpg with a tail wind.
10mpg with a trailer at 80+mph, uphill... Both ways.

Attachments

• IMG_20180726_205540.jpg
    IMG_20180726_205540.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

turbodiesel

2002 E350 SD 7.3l PSD 2wd - limited amount of data but around 14/mpg combined City/highway.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles