Real MPGs for your rig?

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Freeway only is 17. Offroad in 4WD around 12. Combined over a trip right at 15. Vehicle in my signature. The camper is always in the back.

What I get now I have been getting for so long it is normal. It's a truck, and well the cruiser is a cruiser soooooooo.
So are you folks happy with the kind of mpgs you get? Seems like only Sprinters can beat my 1989 vehicle's fuel efficiency. Of course I realize most of your vehicles are heavier than my little van and have more power and may have 4x4 capacity and other features, but still, you'd think in all these years, the auto manufacturing industry could come up with more fuel efficient engines than they have on offer.

indecisivebrad

So are you folks happy with the kind of mpgs you get? Seems like only Sprinters can beat my 1989 vehicle's fuel efficiency. Of course I realize most of your vehicles are heavier than my little van and have more power and may have 4x4 capacity and other features, but still, you'd think in all these years, the auto manufacturing industry could come up with more fuel efficient engines than they have on offer.

Engines have grown tremendously in efficiency over the years. Look how many trucks have switched from 460's or 455's down to 360's and are getting the same power. Engines can be tuned for less power and better mileage or less mileage and better power. If you're planning on using a truck to do work than you want it tuned for power and you sacrifice the mileage. If you want a highway commuter you sacrifice power to get better mileage.

Ask yourself this though, how would your mileage change if you filled your rig up with weight until it weighed 6,500 pounds? Then what would you get if you hitched up a trailer weighing in at another 8,500 pounds?

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
2002 Van E350 EB V10 4x4 high top with solar panel 9000lbs 3.73 gears
All time high was 13 mpg hwy not towing.
Average towing a 16' aluminum boat or dune buggy on car hauler is 10.2 - 11.2 mpg.

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding

Had to go back and find yours, turns out you're the OP!
I'd like to know just what kind of miles per gallon you all are getting out of your expedition vehicle? Please put in the model, year, type and maybe even engine size/#cylinders. (I'd love to do a poll, but it would be comparing so many different apples, oranges and fig newtons, it wouldn't be relevant.)

I'll start: I've got a 1989 Toyota van 2WD LE, gasoline, 4 cyl, and I get 21-22mpg in town and 24-5 or so on a long highway trip.

What about you?

Not bad. My first car was a tiny 1979 Fiat X1/9, 1.6L 4-banger, and it got great mileage. I think MPGs suffered for many years while car companies figured how to maximize economy with greater performance. Generally the 1980s sucked for cars but your van is doing okay. Back then I had a Toyota Starlet, an econobox, and it got great MPGs.

I reported upthread my Diesel Grand Cherokee and I am happy with it. It is the nicest car I've owned, nicely luxurious for the wife, and decent offroad capability for a stock rig. The Quadra Lift air suspension helps a lot with clearance.

drobb

Adventurer
2005 Sequoia Limited 4x4, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2, 2.5 lift, BAM exhaust.....avg 13.8. Here's the setup:

trails.jpg

Last edited:

Evil Patrick

2012 Sprinter 2500, 6 cyl
Not quite 22K miles of smiles
20 mpg overall, loaded with all the gear.
Lot's and lot's of mountain trips. (Flagstaff, Durango, Telluride, Crested Butte, Mount Lemmon, Brian Head, Santa Fe, Cloudcroft, Los Alamos, The Zunis, Moab, Show Low, etc.)

snoozy

Had to go back and find yours, turns out you're the OP!

Not bad. My first car was a tiny 1979 Fiat X1/9, 1.6L 4-banger, and it got great mileage. I think MPGs suffered for many years while car companies figured how to maximize economy with greater performance. Generally the 1980s sucked for cars but your van is doing okay. Back then I had a Toyota Starlet, an econobox, and it got great MPGs.

I reported upthread my Diesel Grand Cherokee and I am happy with it. It is the nicest car I've owned, nicely luxurious for the wife, and decent offroad capability for a stock rig. The Quadra Lift air suspension helps a lot with clearance.

This is actually a come down for me -- my previous car was a 1983 4cyl diesel Isuzu pup which always got 27-28 in town and 35-37 on hwy long trips. Sold it about 3 years ago. So that's why I am pretty appalled at "modern" vehicles getting such crap mileage.

Mind you, in no way could you consider an '83 pup a luxurious car ;)

R.G.

Dime Trucker
04 S10, with some tuning to the computer and engine. My average on the info center right now is 19.3 and my highway average is around 23 to 25.

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I thought this forum was for VANS... ??

Hehe, it's irresistible. People love telling stories about fuel mileage. Two things guaranteed to make a Priest lie., Altar Boys and fuel mileage.

My E350 Type III Ambo conversion was pulling down 14-15 highway with a 7.3 idi, 4.10 gears, and 32" tires. Four speed OD tranny.

Right now it's lifted 6", running 37" tires with everything else he same. No solid highway numbers on that but seems to be managing about 12.5 mixed so far. Heading down to Expo East so should have some good highway numbers after that.

radorsch

Adventurer
Just got back from a long trip after switching to 4.11 - San Diego to Crested Butte to Lake Powell and back. Best was 13.5, worst was 9.5 (trying to hold 85mph into a killer headwind on the 70). Mostly, I was just over 12. Fully loaded with gear and people.
For reference, the van got a record 15 mpg (once... usually 12-13) fully loaded, highway 75mph, before any mods.

2007 5.4L Extended E350 Wagon, ~5" lift, 33" Cooper ATPs, 4.11 D60, 92k mi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles