Ready to make larger committment, seeking ideas

rruff

Explorer
Hi, I've been living in my van for 3 years now and I think I'm ready to make the move to something more significant since I would like to permanently live on the road.
...My budget is $100-300k. I believe $100k would get me in a pretty high end 22' Sprinter or Transit high roof conversion, versus $300k would put me in something like an Earthcruiser.
...I have traveled quite a lot in my van in the United States, mostly on paved roads and nothing crazy but mainly because my van is 2wd. So I'm definitely not opposed to getting off the beaten path. I think I would do so if my rig was capable of it.
...im single but I don't want a rig built for one person. I'd like to be able to have ample space for things (bring food, toys, for festivals and gatherings etc ) and for when people are over, especially dates etc. It's weird when I have a guest over, and I have to fold out a toilet if they need to use the bathroom and do the business in the same area where we are hanging out. It seems like a permanent, separate space for that seems better.
...I'd like to have at least 50-90 gallons of fresh water on board (currently running 24 gallons). Possible laundry options. As homey as possible honestly, not so much campervan living situation, which is where I'm at now.

I lived "permanently" in a old Toyota 2wd pickup for 13 years, with a couple different homemade campers (with plenty of female roommates). But you have a bigger budget and want more luxury, which is cool!
You absolutely don't need 4wd to get off the beaten path. I went to really nice remote places and rarely saw another human. With good tires, decent ground clearance, and a little sense (like airing down for sand) you'll be fine. I sure as hell wouldn't pay $25k to have 4wd added to anything. You can nearly buy a brand new full size 4wd truck for that!

I'd strongly advise getting a 1 ton 4wd pickup of your favorite make (probably long bed and double cab), and look at the better quality slide ins. Nice thing about the slidein is the ability to easily separate the vehicle from the house. If you want to explore, go to town for supplies... or if the camper needs work, you still have something to drive while the repairs are done. Remove seats from the back cab and use that for storage of things you don't need to access from the camper. You can add an extra tank for fresh water; so long as you are remote and can dump on the ground it's no problem. You can wash clothes by hand if you are remote. Or sticking the clothes in buckets with water and detergent while driving will also work.

What do you think of this? These are ~$50k new. Add the truck and you are still under $100k for all new stuff. Similar used models in good shape can be found much cheaper. This is just a random sample BTW, I'm not knowledgeable about campers. I searched and found one that was molded fiberglass which seemed like a good idea.

10-2-se-001-1024x680.jpg

lucilius

If you want to live in a 4x4 studio-apartment-on-wheels and your budget is <$300k, you might look at a new/used Outside Van and also a used Earthroamer. Outside Van is probably going to be far easier to get around in, has a ton of build options, and will probably get you anywhere in the wilds an Earthroamer would, driver experience/skill is going to be the deciding factor. With few exceptions, once you turn something into a camper with a shower/bathroom, 90 gallons water, etc. and are basically sitting at your GVWR (and wondering whether they calculated that limit with offroad terrain and suspension modifications in mind...), you are going to be sacrificing some convenience and mobility both on and offroad, especially offroad.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
With few exceptions, once you turn something into a camper with a shower/bathroom, 90 gallons water, etc. and are basically sitting at your GVWR (and wondering whether they calculated that limit with offroad terrain and suspension modifications in mind...

Therefore ------

For that money you could import something from Europe. My plan in 10 years, I'll be able to work less and travel more.

My favourite

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...searchId=eb63776a-ca92-8523-e19f-41051f5820b2

:)

Zybane

True, as long as the offroad expectations of the tow vehicle are reasonable. In my experience, the qualities of a good tow vehicle for a trailer of much size don't make for a very nimble offroader.

My current setup is a 30 foot Airstream Classic towed by a RAM Power Wagon. It actually does pretty well towing. The Power Wagon having low-range transfer case, 35" tires+front and rear locking diffs, winch and disconnecting sway bar has serious off-road creds. I also have a ATV that I put on the back of the Power Wagon, so I have pretty much all bases covered. Airstream goes into "base camp" RV park near where I want to explore, Power Wagon takes me and my dog pretty far into exploration territory and the ATV really gets me out there.

I've also been seriously considering what the OP has been looking for, mainly due to rising cost/over-crowding RV parks as "base stations". Of course this naturally leads into the "expedition vehicle" arena. Both the OP and I focusing around the $300K or less range. Going this route I have to consider large solar and lithium as I'm not a huge "generator" fan. Just some random thoughts in my research:

1. Class A and towed 4x4. Biggest problem I have this route is requiring a large RV camp spot, usually a "pull-through", really limiting which parks and which views you get. And the hassle of connecting and disconnecting the toad.
  2. GXV's adventure truck XT series ticked most of my boxes, but at 6'4" its interior height is too short for me.
  3. Something like a 4x4 modified Class C would get too beat up the places I go.
  4. Earthcruiser's new V8 gas Fuso with 4x4 mods now has the off-road cred's, but optioned (FXX) with large solar/lithium/cabin AC is pushing $400K. Quite small cabin but this also makes it great for world shipping/travel which I won't do.
  5. GXV's traditional Safari Extreme+ etc start at over $400K, so not really an option.
  6. Earthroamers are very silly to me. Very expensive and they have poor off-road cred's. No locking diff's front or rear. You can get one of those stuck in a damp grassy field.
  7. Truck camper on modified 4x4 pickup: usually too tall and too unwieldy off-road. Just like the Class C, a truck camper large enough for me to full-time in wouldn't last off the beaten track.
  8. Unimog U500 with a Overland Explorer cabin.

That last one is the route I'm currently researching. I figure ~$120K for the Unimog (although they are very rare) and ~$180K for the OE cabin. The Unimog has all the off-road capability I need and OE has the customization for a cabin to suit my exact needs.

rruff

Explorer
  1. Truck camper on modified 4x4 pickup: usually too tall and too unwieldy off-road. Just like the Class C, a truck camper large enough for me to full-time in wouldn't last off the beaten track.
Surely the Mog will be even taller? Unless it is a pop up camper?

Everything is a compromise. If you are after awesome offroad performance, and lots of space and luxury, then you are looking at something like a Mog and custom camper and lots of $$$. Even then the shear size and weight of it will limit where you can go offroad.

From my take on the OPs wishes I don't believe he really needs extreme offroad capability, just the ability to get to remote places. Which IME, isn't that hard to do in a 2wd truck, at least in the western US and Baja. As for the mass-produced camper itself surviving, I don't know as I've never used one and don't plan to. I've heard people say they've had no issues traveling extensively on dirt and gravel tracks with these campers though, and I suspect that's all the OP really wants. Considering the cost difference and how convenient and easy it is to get everything he wants, I'd take that chance on the camper holding up if I was in the OP's shoes. Just pick a good model.

billiebob

Is there any advantage to importing something from Europe?
What is not an advantage will be maintenance, service, parts, emergency repairs. An import from anywhere means you must love it and be willing to fight for service, parts, maintenance and search for the right mechanic. He likely needs to be in love with that foriegn RV too.

Unless you plan to tour the world.

Joe917

Explorer
The advantage of a European vehicle is more choice, especially heavy duty 4x4 trucks. The downside can be parts supply, however (in the case of Mercedes at least)there are a number of garages in north America with parts on the shelf, and parts can be shipped anywhere in north America from Germany within a week. A week is a long time if you are making a road trip on vacation time, but it is nothing if you are a full timer.

shade

OP, what is most important, living quarters or your RV's off road abilities?

So far, it looks like both, with a bias towards living quarters.

The earthcruiser is at the top of my list so far. I did read the latest press release regarding the significant changes to the 2020 model FX. So I will be waiting for that next release. I'm already subscribed to the newsletter.

I guess my biggest checklist is the quality of life on the road. Id like a mobile experience as close as possible to the comforts of home. I've already lived 3 years in the van and 2 years in a station wagon so I'd like something less demanding now. For example, to access things in my truck fridge I have to get on my knees. It would be nice if the EC had an experience that more closely parallels how a house would work as far as grabbing things. Etc. Storage is a big one for me, a closet to put my already minimal clothes etc

https://earthcruiser.com/our-vehicles/earthcruiser-fx/

One of those does look like a place one or two people could live comfortably without many drawbacks, and it can go a lot of places offroad.

Setting price (!) aside, the main drawback for me would be wanting to drive places that a vehicle that big really should avoid. I mentioned driving through the Maze District in Canyonlands NP earlier. It's easy to hypothesize about it, but when you're actually that far from help over that kind of terrain, the reality of a breakdown becomes a constant thought in the back of your mind. I think an EC could probably do go down a trail that rough, but if there was a breakdown or other problem, it would be very difficult to recover from unless you were carrying whatever was required. I could probably get a tow for my pickup, but it's unlikely that another vehicle on the trail would be capable of towing an EC back from the Dollhouse.

A rack mounted motorcycle could fill the role of a technical offroad vehicle without requiring a trailer, or a trailer could be used to carry a pair of motorcycles or a UTV, along with the tools & supplies needed to keep everything running well; basically, the trailer would be the garage. Offroad outings on truly rough terrain would be camping experiences, and when they ended, you'd be taking a hot shower in the EC. What a life. : )

Of course, if you had that kind of technical offroad option along, maybe an EC would be overkill for everything else. ?

jkam

nomadic man
Something to remember when you decide to live in something full time is livability.
Most of the expedition type vehicles are designed to travel in more harsh conditions.
A question I asked myself when deciding to live full time on the road was, what is more important,
capability or comfort. It's always a compromise no matter which way you go.
I chose comfort, for me it was an easy choice.
Others will lean towards capability.

My advice is to look seriously at what your life will look life for the next 10 years and choose based upon that.

shade

Something to remember when you decide to live in something full time is livability.
Most of the expedition type vehicles are designed to travel in more harsh conditions.
A question I asked myself when deciding to live full time on the road was, what is more important,

My advice is to look seriously at what your life will look life for the next 10 years and choose based upon that.
I like to travel on foot, so your dual-sport bike solution would be a natural. If I was roaming solo full time, a modern Class C + bike might work very well, and would be an affordable option. For me.

How much does a new 4-season capable Class C cost?

jkam

nomadic man
The problem with the class C market is , most are junk.
No real 4 season ones I know of.
I consider Lazy Daze the best overall class C.
They basically invented the class C a long time ago.
They're a family owned manufacturer that sells direct.
Low volume and well made for a class C.
New ones are around $100,000, pricey for a class C, but you get a much better made and supported RV.

I've lived in one now for almost 12 years, bought it used at 11 years old and it is still functioning well.
For me, after living in one so long, the short comings have become the problem.
A van chassis, while being shorter and desired for an RV, is not that comfortable in the long run.
Lack of legroom, engine right there so noisier and some other nit picks I have.

I've been looking for a truck based class C that isn't too long. Nobody makes one.
They are all quad cab and too long for my lifestyle. Built for families.

Last edited:

jkam

nomadic man
You are correct.
Livability for me is something in the 24 to 27 foot range.
And just as important to me is a good view with big windows.
After living in my Lazy Daze for so long and having nice big tinted windows, I am spoiled.
lg27mbr.jpg

As I mentioned, it's all a compromise in some way.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer

This is definitely something to think about. I’ve been through an ATC pop up camper, a Lance truck camper, a ruggedized, lifted, pull behind pop up, and right now i’m sitting in my new Outdoors RV 23DBS. Everything else I’ve owned would get considerably further in the woods where I’d really like to be but they were miserable hanging out inside with the family on super hot or rainy days or after a long day on the road. This thing is crazy nice to chill in and will get 85% of everywhere I’d want to go. There is a point where comfort trumps everything else. Think hard about that before going to far to the “off-road” side.

jkam

nomadic man
Another consideration that I have struggled with is the chassis to use.
Sure a Man, or for me a Bucher Duro chassis would be awesome.
Then I realize the expense of keeping something like that on the road.
As you go up in GVW, you also go up in expense, and there is a tipping point as to what is practical.
If I had the funds and were going RTW, I would probably choose something by Mercedes.
They seem to have the best world wide support, something you would almost surely need at some point.
But I am done roaming the world for now and am happy in a class C and boon docking on our public lands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles