Ready to make larger committment, seeking ideas

EuroJoe

Adventurer
Is there any advantage to importing something from Europe?

If you plan on using it across the world, older diesel engines do better with the higher sulfur fuel you get in less developed parts of the world.
European manufacturers have been building big truck campers for decades and you do seem to get a lot of "bang for your buck" on the used market. Big truck campers with a high GVW will be less stressed by bad roads.

But

If you plan on staying stateside you will have access to good fuel. Parts shouldn't be an issue for the base vehicle here either stateside. Maintenance etc will be simpler.

But... I really like the look of the MAN KAT1 and those big air cooled diesels:)

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Class C RV converted to 4x4 sounds like a good choice for you.
For around $100k you could have a brand new Lazy Daze in whatever floor plan you liked.
Then send it to U Joint and spend another $25k for the 4x4. Another $25k in goodies and you are living large
with all the amenities of home.
From what you posted, it doesn't sound like you need something as capable as you've mentioned.

There's a lot to be said for going this route. A 21 or 23ft class C will get a lot of places with 4wd on 35s. Heck, a full size crew cab truck is right at 20ft long. And it will be more comfortable than pretty much any "expo" rig.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
As you go about looking for an off-road RV keep several things in mind. (You've already experienced living in an RV so you know to look for the usual stuff: good insulation, insulated water pipes and systems, ample D.C. Systems, storage, etc..) as for an off-road RV look for several simple things:
  1. Make sure it was designed and built for off-road use. Many aren't and simply converting one doesn't address the structural weaknesses in the RV structure and all those pretty (and heavy) cabinets and sliders.
  2. Limit weight. Most RV's are already over GVW and once you get into the back country with a large heavy rig it puts a huge demand in everything.....think stuck or flat tire and all your have is Recovery gear for standard van or truck that came with the RV. The silly jack won't even reach or lift to change a flat!
  3. Import or Domestic. Think about where you'll go and what could happen. Imports are great,but can you simply run down to the local parts store for that starter or alternator for a parking lot repair or are you going to have it shipped in from another state or country? At least a domestic chassis (Ford, Chevy or Dodge) you have a better chance of finding a part locally.
4) Angles/length/height .....check your approach and departure angles. Some of the 4wd conversations or factory built 4wd RV were never actually designed to go off-road. The 4wd systems was to deal with slippery conditions versus going up and over things.

Good luck!

Bias Alert:

I'd second a Tiger or EarthRoamer. We've added over 50k to our 95 in the last two years, with 1/3 of that being off-road. The house, cabinets and chassis were designed for off-road use and it been incredible reliable. Approx. 12 mpg on a 5.7 V8. The only issue is the lack of efficient insulation, it since we don't live FT in it we make the necessary accommodations.

IMG_4379.JPG

Last edited:

shade

A Spinter/Transit or Tiger RV doesn’t have what you’ve listed above. After 40+ years of owning truck campers, camper vans and trailers, I tell you from experience you don’t want a 4x4 RV like the GXV or ER either. They are just to big, to heavy and to expensive for off roading. Find the smallest diesel pusher class A with the features you listed. You will get all your listed features and at a much lower price without 4wheel drive. Get an “A” with good ground clearance, helps tremendously. Get options that will allow you to be off-the-grid. I have found many nice, safe, cheap no hookup campgrounds, that can accomidate a 32ish ft. class A, on good accessible back roads. If you want to explore/drive off road areas, get a new 4x4 as a towed vehicle. Use the RV as your home hub and the toad as your expolration rig. I have met many active, full time senior RV’ers living very comfortable lives in Class “A” and the most preferable towed vehicle is a 4x4.
I love my current Tiger RV and JLR ...
View attachment 520548
but, if I had a 200 to 300k budget and wanted to full time. A class “A” RV and 4x4 dingy is the way to go, in my experienced humble opinion. Also, the 4x4 will easily carry a kayak, MT. bike, tent camping gear, whatever, to a very remote destination no GXV or ER can get to.
Towing a better vehicle for that job makes more sense to me, too.

The realistic offroad capabilities of any largish camper keep them away from places I want to go. Even if I could drag one through the Maze District in Canyonlands NP, why would I want to? The potential maintenance and recovery headaches don't make it worth the trouble, IMO.

Joe917

Explorer
If you consider a class a with a toad you could go the other way with a 4x4 truck pulling a 5th wheel.
OK for the USA but not practical for travel outside North America.

shade

If you consider a class a with a toad you could go the other way with a 4x4 truck pulling a 5th wheel.
OK for the USA but not practical for travel outside North America.
True, as long as the offroad expectations of the tow vehicle are reasonable. In my experience, the qualities of a good tow vehicle for a trailer of much size don't make for a very nimble offroader.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Class C RV converted to 4x4 sounds like a good choice for you.
For around $100k you could have a brand new Lazy Daze in whatever floor plan you liked.
Then send it to U Joint and spend another $25k for the 4x4. Another $25k in goodies and you are living large
with all the amenities of home.
From what you posted, it doesn't sound like you need something as capable as you've mentioned.
Beat me to it. Is the 4x4 conversion even required? Depends where you want to go...

If a base camp type set up works, a travel trailer and a 4x4 truck could be something to consider. Set up camp and go explore...

jkam

nomadic man
I've been living full time in a 24 ft. Lazy Daze for almost 12 years now.
It has all the amenities of a home, is very comfortable and best of all, has large windows
that allow you to feel almost outdoors.
What it needs is ground clearance, something 4x4 would address.
I carry a small dual sport motorcycle on the back. That allows me to set up camp and then go explore.
Or, when somewhere new, use the bike to find the spot to park the RV.
I like this combination, not having to tow makes all the difference. And not using the RV for everything saves a bunch.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Towing or not towing, that is the question. We've done both, Winnebago Class A diesel pusher, 40 feet long, three slides, a rolling one bedroom apartment. Flat-towing a 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ on 35" tires, down MX15 toll road to Lake Chapala Mexico (very expensive amount of tolls with two vehicles!). The Jeep came in handy, not for it's off-roading prowess, 4.5" lift, lockers, etc., but that it moved. The small towns north of the lake were separated by a two-lane road, great, got the Jeep! However, the little towns themselves, Ajijic, Chapala, Jocotepec, didn't lend themselves well for a big four wheeler. But, you find a place to park, usually a one-way street, and then walk. Sold the Winnebago, and now have the Saurer, took it to Baja, no Jeep, no bikes, nothing. Saved a lot of money on the trip from not locating to RV Parks, beaches and more beaches. Save for 10 days in an RV park in Loreto; great little town, mini-brewery on the square, ugh, could have stayed there a month or more. Fuel mileage on the RV and the Saurer are about the same, minus the 10mph average higher speed the RV could do, towing the Jeep. Oh well, can't park the RV on the beach! This fall, more Baja, but, with fat-tire electric bikes, a Porta Bote folding boat we'll attach to the side of the vehicle; powered by oars and an electric trolling motor. Bought salt-water big rig surf fishing gear, and we'll bring our smaller fresh water stuff too. If anything, you need some toys down there~! But for us, no Jeep needed; we won't be taking the off-camber single track trails to desert Missions, or, up and down mountains. So, Baja and other areas of the world mean different things to different people, you have to decide what those things are when you want to travel and pick the appropriate vehicle(s). Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles