Ready to make larger committment, seeking ideas

Vanaddict

Hi, I've been living in my van for 3 years now and I think I'm ready to make the move to something more significant since I would like to permanently live on the road.

My budget is $100-300k. I believe $100k would get me in a pretty high end 22' Sprinter or Transit high roof conversion, versus $300k would put me in something like an Earthcruiser.

i like how the earthcruiser has the bathroom right out in the front. I have traveled quite a lot in my van in the United States, mostly on paved roads and nothing crazy but mainly because my van is 2wd. So I'm definitely not opposed to getting off the beaten path. I think I would do so if my rig was capable of it.

im single but I don't want a rig built for one person. I'd like to be able to have ample space for things (bring food, toys, for festivals and gatherings etc ) and for when people are over, especially dates etc. It's weird when I have a guest over, and I have to fold out a toilet if they need to use the bathroom and do the business in the same area where we are hanging out. It seems like a permanent, separate space for that seems better.

So far my research has narrowed down to EarthCruiser, or a high end custom built van. I'd like to have at least 50-90 gallons of fresh water on board (currently running 24 gallons). Possible laundry options. As homey as possible honestly, not so much campervan living situation, which is where I'm at now.

ive looked a little bit on the GXV and Earthroamer but they seem like they would be out of my budget, but open to revisiting.

Would love to hear your thoughts and I'm open to ideas for builds I don't know of yet or other options.

I don't own land, so this is my full time home and would like a rig built as such.

Last edited:

gregmchugh

Observer
If you have not looked at Tiger Adventure and XP Camper then you should take a look to see if they have something that interests you...

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
An Earthcruiser is more capable of going more places off-grid than a fancy 4WD Sprinter van.

Here are some questions to ponder:

You state you have already been traveling for 3 years so where will you be going in the future with this new to you vehicle that's different from where you have already been in the past with a 2WD van?

What is truly most important to you?

Personal comfort and vehicle size?

Storage of stuff and vehicle capability?

Knowing your future travel plans might make a hard decision of what type of vehicle you might NEED versus what you WANT much easier along with how much "Moolah" this change in vehicle might COST you in the end.

Last edited:

Vanaddict

If you have not looked at Tiger Adventure and XP Camper then you should take a look to see if they have something that interests you...

Thanks for this Greg. I will take a look now.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler

X2 regarding the Tiger. I have one, love driving it, it’s fully self contained, easy to park, gets decent gas mileage, and used ones are pretty affordable.

It’s weird....these are amazing, affordable 4wd campers and yet nobody seems to know about them!

Vanaddict

Always open to having a conversation about what it is you want to do and if an EarthCruiser can help you accomplish that. We have several customers living in their ECs full time and 'living the dream'.

Hey Michelle, thanks for reaching out. The earthcruiser is at the top of my list so far. I did read the latest press release regarding the significant changes to the 2020 model FX. So I will be waiting for that next release. I'm already subscribed to the newsletter.

I guess my biggest checklist is the quality of life on the road. Id like a mobile experience as close as possible to the comforts of home. I've already lived 3 years in the van and 2 years in a station wagon so I'd like something less demanding now. For example, to access things in my truck fridge I have to get on my knees. It would be nice if the EC had an experience that more closely parallels how a house would work as far as grabbing things. Etc. Storage is a big one for me, a closet to put my already minimal clothes etc

Are there any expos left this summer to check one out in person ?

jkam

nomadic man
Class C RV converted to 4x4 sounds like a good choice for you.
For around $100k you could have a brand new Lazy Daze in whatever floor plan you liked.
Then send it to U Joint and spend another $25k for the 4x4. Another $25k in goodies and you are living large
with all the amenities of home.
From what you posted, it doesn't sound like you need something as capable as you've mentioned.

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
We'll be travelling some of the summer (depending on how Goldy is doing) and will have vehicles (right now I don't know which ones) at BC overland and NW Overland rally. Best place to come see us is at our factory in Bend. As we always tell people, these are tools for a job-define the job, pick the tool. The road of importing things is not as simple as everyone would like to believe. Things that are are not designed for off road are just not designed for off road use. Comfort, usability and functionality in all conditions should be the major concern. You just have to figure out what meets your needs.

KDB

Used earth cruiser or i second the ujoint converted rv. Both would work great for you. a $300k dollar rig is simply unnecessary imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz