"Readily available" tire size question

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Currently running 285/75R16's on the rangie. They need to be replaced soon. I am contemplating going a bit higher but I don't want to go wider. What readily available metric size is comparable to a 34" tire?

The key words here are "readily available". I have used the tire size calculators available on the web but I'm not sure what sizes are actually available. I would prefer to get a size that most tire shops will have in stock instead of special order.

For example, is 295/75R16 a readily available size or is it a size that no one makes? What about 275/85R16?

Thanks!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I do this type of thing commonly with TireRack's website. For example, 285/75/16 only lists 2 tires available. Definitely not a good choice. 275/85/16, nothing.

Looking at the BFG AT selection... there's not much to do what you want. 315/75/16. 35/12.5/16.

Desert Dan

Explorer
"Readily available" is probably regional thing.

235x75x16" and 285x75x16" size tires are probably easier to find than some exotic 20" low profile tires when in rural areas.

Green96D1

Explorer
Currently running 285/75R16's on the rangie. They need to be replaced soon. I am contemplating going a bit higher but I don't want to go wider. What readily available metric size is comparable to a 34" tire?

The key words here are "readily available". I have used the tire size calculators available on the web but I'm not sure what sizes are actually available. I would prefer to get a size that most tire shops will have in stock instead of special order.

For example, is 295/75R16 a readily available size or is it a size that no one makes? What about 275/85R16?

Thanks!

What about a 35x10.50 SSR they are roughly 34.5 inch tires and are narrow bro that's the size I'm moving up to once my toy swap is done!

sasaholic

Adventurer
285 75 16 is a really common size, not all that many places stock a 255 85 16 atleast not around here. tires are as limited or more limeted in a 295 75 16 as they r in 255's the next step up that is "common" would be 315 75 16. noone carries 35 10.5 they are special order

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
What about a 35x10.50 SSR they are roughly 34.5 inch tires and are narrow bro that's the size I'm moving up to once my toy swap is done!
WOuldn't I need 15" rims for those? I'm trying to avoid buying new rims.

255/85/16 - everyone knows its the king of modern day overland tires.:ylsmoke:
That size would be smaller than what I currently run.

sasaholic said:
the next step up that is "common" would be 315 75 16
Hmmmm... probably what I will end up with.

TeriAnn

Explorer
According to the BFG catalogue the 255/85/16 mud terrain is 33.3" in dia and take a 6.5 to 8 inch wide rim. It seems to be a common size. I got mine at Costco.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Narrower, but not shorter. Would be ~1.0" to 1.25" taller OD

According to the BFG catalogue the 255/85/16 mud terrain is 33.3" in dia and take a 6.5 to 8 inch wide rim. It seems to be a common size. I got mine at Costco.

Hmmm, the tire calculator that I used on the web said the tire was smaller than the 285/75R16's I am running now.

What internet machine tire calculator is the most accurate?

S

stu454

The difference between advertised sizes and actual sizes vary from brand to brand.

I don't use the calculators; I just go to the manufacturers' sites and get it from the horse's mouth.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Hmmm, the tire calculator that I used on the web said the tire was smaller than the 285/75R16's I am running now.

What internet machine tire calculator is the most accurate?

I don't know. I use the manufacturer's catalogue to get their tyre specs. Sizes vary by manufacturer and tyre family within a manufacturer's product range. Tyre manufacturer & tyre family are varibles that would need to be entered into a lookup table.

I've never figured out how an online tyre dia calculator could possibly work and have always assumed it was some sort of snake oil product.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I don't know. I use the manufacturer's catalogue to get their tyre specs. Sizes vary by manufacturer and tyre family within a manufacturer's product range. Tyre manufacturer & tyre family are varibles that would need to be entered into a lookup table.

I've never figured out how an online tyre dia calculator could possibly work and have always assumed it was some sort of snake oil product.

How do you figure it's snake oil?

The tire size specification is fairly rigidly designed. 285 is the tread width in mm, which converts to 11.22". 85 is the aspect ratio of the sidewall height to the tread with. In this case, the sidewall height is 9.5". 2 sidewalls across the diameter on a 16" diameter rim gives you a 35" tire. The calculators just do the math.

Now, the tire manufacturers don't always get the dimensions perfectly. There's some variability based on design and manufacturing. So you're right, it's best to go to the manufacturer's specification tables. But the tire size calculators definitely get you in the ballpark. Not perfect, but not snake oil.

sasaholic

Adventurer
every 255 has been larger in diameter than any 285's that are out. usually 285 actually measure out to be just bellow or right at 33 inches tall whereas a 255 is closer to 33.4 most of the time, not much difference but there is some. also the ssr comes in a 35 10.5 16 not only 15, but are expensive and hard to come by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles