"Readily available" tire size question

jeff_wright

Adventurer
2016-02.jpg

2020-02.jpg

Was this model of Series actually produced?! I'm just wondering why I've never seen one!

Yorker

Adventurer
2016-02.jpg

2020-02.jpg

Was this model of Series actually produced?! I'm just wondering why I've never seen one!

Yep they were produced, I don't think there are many of them over here. I've seen far more FC's and 101 FCs over here than 109 one Tons. There used to be one for sale on a bunch of different sites BUT the UK guys have told me that it is not a genuine 1 ton 109.

The one in the upper pic is a pre-production test mule apparently, I think the lower one was an early production model.

The One Ton model was launched in September 1968 as an uprated version of the (3/4 ton) 109" Long Wheelbase Series IIa Land Rover. The vehicle was specified with the 2.6 litre six cylinder petrol engine, and the gearbox from the IIb forward control. The axles were heavy-duty ENV units, also as used on the IIb FC.

From around 1972, the Series III One Ton models had front and rear Salisbury axles, and later still the front diff became the standard Rover unit. The chassis was an upgraded reinforced item, featuring drop shackle suspension as pioneered on military vehicles. The 9.00x16 tyres on deep dish rims were carried over from the IIb forward control. Longer brake pipes were fitted as well as a brake servo, the front brakes being wider than standard with 3" shoes. Production got underway properly in April 1969 when vehicle number two was built, and all these vehicles had the headlamps in the wings, in line with standard IIa vehicles from that period. When production moved on to the series III in September 1971, 170 One Ton Series IIa vehicles had been built. Production of the Series III One Tons is thought to stand at around 235 vehicles.

The TACR I airfield fire truck was based on One Ton specs., but is not exactly the same.

The 'One Ton' Land Rover and 'One Tonne' Land Rover are very different vehicles, the 'one tonne' being the 101 FC.

http://www.lr-mad.co.uk/oneton.html

www.onetonlandrover.co.uk/mainpage.html

SeaRubi

Explorer
There are a few in your area too!

you are an evil man, Steven. (i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking i am not looking ... hhhhaawwwhhh ********!!! I looked )

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
you are an evil man, Steven.

I know. Funny story about that... but I'll save it for around the campfire after you join the NCLR.:ylsmoke:

As to the original question in this thread... I'm just going to go with 255/85R16's. Thanks for the input everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles