Re-gear time need advice

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
I have a 3.6 rubicon unlimited manual and live at elevation in the mountains. The stock 4.10 gearing is great with my narrow 35's but if I was running 12.5 wide or didn't have 4.10's to start I would go deeper. If I had the 3.8 and an auto for sure the 5.13's if I wanted pep 4.88 if I did a lot of flat ground cruising (but I don't)

Jurfie

Adventurer
I'll just drop this here...

38gears.png

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

Off course gears will help a lot.

Another cheap way to get a *smidge* power is a tuner (see the link for all the pros by adding one--but you will have to research it further). It can give power, fix your tire ration (which may be part of your problem as the car may not know when to shift) and can also make your trans shifts a little more crisp and reduce wear (just don't over do it). that and a decent tune-up with fresh filter and plugs. Cat may be plugged up too.

At your elevation you are at about .18% HP loss, and most--if not all--of the above will mitigate that.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/1405-2007-2011-jeep-wrangler-tuning-tricks/

When it comes time to buy new tires, try to find ones that have lighter carcasses. If you are running steel rims and 75 pound tires at each corner, that is a lot of rotational mass to slug around in.
Also try to remove as much crap (dead weight out of your vehicle as possible).

I would not go with forced induction due to age, stress, etc.

Good luck!

YMMV

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles