RB 44 camper build......

redneck44

Adventurer
Not quite built, but got the camper shell started and the bed base fitted, three days so far, and counting..
Started like this......base vehicle is an RB44 made from bits of many vehicles for the U.K military.

Picture189.jpg

Picture190.jpg

Added several tabs to the hoops to enable the build process, then fitted front and rear bulkheads of 3/4" marine ply.
Rather than make a flexible mount for the box, I thought I would make a flexible box, secondary reason is I wanted to retain the military look.
Came across insulated tarpaulins for the inner cover, its made up of PVC type material outer with a 1/4" insulating layer and heavy canvas inner layer, all held onto the truck with an aluminium retaining strip outside.

Photo0074-1.jpg

Photo0075.jpg

Photo0077.jpg

Fitted some duck boards on top of the hoops so that it can be utilised for light load carrying, and a handy place for mounting interior lights etc.

Photo0076.jpg

Stealth mode, original cover fitted over the top.

Picture205.jpg

Only fitted the bed base at the moment, but will fit the sink/hob unit and storage unit soon............

redneck44

Adventurer
:D It's certainly not a conventional approach to a build, but it is a step up from my series 1 discovery, which I have spent the last 18 months camping in, while working away from home.

Definitely needs some windows, I'm working on clamp type frames that will be hidden by the original cover, but will either roll up or be held out with struts like an awning when camped.

redneck44

Adventurer
A rather belated update on my build so far.
A part finished Camo paint job

The slide out bed goes from a single to double in less than a minute. With a cot bed for the little un.

Aforementioned little un testing out his bed and the Flettner vent.

Storage racks sized for Euro containers but I had a storage case that needed a home

I had a removable kitchen unit with cooker sink etc. fitted here but I've changed my mind and building a chuck box type set up instead.
Picked up Swedish (I think) medi pack organiser which I'll use for all those odds n ends that end floating about.

You may have noticed the eye bolts in the roof, they are for storing my kite boards etc.
Just need to sort out a water heating system, for hot showers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles