RAW Perverters

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Since the days when cameras first started making RAW files available to the user, there have been huge debates on this subject. Why would you use anything but the camera manufacturer's software? Why would you give up the power of a workflow tool like Aperture or Lightroom for differences that no one can see? Etc.

This gentleman has taken a very balanced look at the issue. He tells you his criteria and prejudices and posts the images he used. You may or may not like his conclusions, but it is well worth a read: http://www.nomadlens.com/raw-converters-comparison

And, he shoots in southwest England, an area where I have shot as well, so I know the light he is seeing, etc.

Note that he finds the RAW demosaicing to be virtually identical; the differences occur later in the processing pipe.

(And Trevor will be soooo smug; he shares his like for Capture One!)

Offered for your enjoyment and discussion. After all, this is just as much fun as Jeep vs. Toyota, Nikon vs. Canon, etc. :Wow1:

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Very nice comparison. I'm not smug, not even a little bit. I've used lots of programs and simply know what I think works best. I've been a long time LR user, I used aperture for awhile but didn't find it suited my needs as well... Then it just got old and as the article states, neglected. I started looking at other options when I started doing more people work, skin tones suddenly became important. And I tried everything. I've always liked Capture One but found some of its older versions limited compared to LR. Then came 7, right around the time adobe started talking about moving everything to subscription base and I started to really dig I to it. As a raw converter it's amazing, I love it and I love the results. As a DAM it's a lot better but still not as good as LR IMO. When it comes to colour though Capture wins hands down in my books. Their colour editor is the best around, it's no wonder portrait photographers gravitate to C1 for this reason alone.

I flow back and forth between Lr and C1 but I still use LR more... Probably just because I'm more comfortable with it and use it as my DAM, but more and more I gravitate to C1 when I want the best from my image. Anyway thanks for sharing, it was a good read.

Honu

lost on the mainland
This week will have done 3 C1 jobs and about 4 LR jobs for our post company so use both daily

When. I was shooting full time I was Phase ones first featured photographer in the V3 days so never had to pay for it :) but about V5 my contacts moved on now have to pay :(

Most my paid works goes through C1 LR5 though has gotten better so use it a lot now
Since LR3 I have been using LR as my DAM but did RT through C1 :)

My pro photo clients for our post company are way more into LR mainly cause it does handle large file number jobs easier and support is better etc....

IMHO LR is a great tool overall and has some great features has matured well
C1 is also nice output feel LR is better at DAM myself still use both sometimes things are nicer out of C1 ?

Canons software always IMHO gave the nicest files but were dog slow to work a lot of images ? So was not good for much the work I did
Keep my fingers on others but nothing is as well supported as LR and C1
Just my feeling and my choices of course

Sadly the review is black background white text ? Hate that shows a lack of basic understanding layout design so did not read :) hahaha anyone who knows anything about color etc... Would never do that all credibility lost and most likely a pixel peeper with high count on dpreview ? sorry just my stuck up feelings :)

I say any program that you like and are happy with is the best :) there is no best there is only choices that we think our better for our reasons
And for sure sometimes one does a better job than the other

If I could only choose one yikes might be LR cause of it's DAM but I don't so use both C1 and LR :)

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I dont use raw converters or raw perverters. Ha ha. Is it just me that sees that?
Sent from my SGH-T899M using Tapatalk

robgendreau

Explorer
Sees what? Not sure what you mean. You don't shoot RAW? That's fine.

I bought C1 based on the stuff I saw in the nomadlens article. I use LR a bunch, and got good results, but C1's work out of the box for jpgs was better (I think) than what I was getting from Olympus, so with it I should be able to batch generate jpgs instead of shooting jpg/raw pairs, and instead of using the Olympus software, which I found sorta clunky.

I've been demo'ing OnOne's Perfect Photo Suite as well; it's on sale this month. Not sure I need it, but it does do some nice stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles