RAW management

dependencies

Observer
Please help I need some advice,

Been shooting in RAW for the day Nikon D70 (image format Large)

I would now like to send a copy in a smaller JPEG format via email

as a mac user how is this best achieved,

This far using either iphoto or seashore I can only manage to make a smaller image but its still around 112KB's

I'm a beginner with RAW having always worked in JPEG before
but would like the option of editing in more detail later that RAW offer

Viggen

Just here...
I use a Mac and have started shooting RAW. Aperture is the program I use and you can export/ save in JPEG very, very easily.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
112kb is pretty small. Anything under 1mb is easily handled via email. Heck, my iPhone sends bigger image files from it's built in camera!

What is your target image size and file size?

dependencies

Observer
Funnilly enough I was just thing along same lines,
The problem is my wifes employers overactive IT dept,

Stand down team while I have another look at iphoto export again

dependencies

Observer
Forgive my newbie questions but RAW is a new world to me
My Nikon also offers in 'format' the option to shoot in what it calls Raw: NEF+JPEG Basic
which when I download to iphoto produces a pair of images side by side

does this mean I have a RAW to meddle with beside a jpeg to mail?

I bet I come across as a right novice don't I

(don't answer that)| ;)

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
My Nikon also offers in 'format' the option to shoot in what it calls Raw: NEF+JPEG Basic
which when I download to iphoto produces a pair of images side by side

does this mean I have a RAW to meddle with beside a jpeg to mail?

Short answer = yes.

Long answer = yes, but . . .

dependencies

Observer
Oh dear, I don't suppose you could be a bit more specific
My idea is:
save a RAW of (mostly) everything for future tweaking as I get a better Mac,
in the meantime have some smaller JPEG's for use posting and sharing

am I on right track with this

nwoods

Expedition Leader
My idea is:

Yes. Your camera is recording two images at one time with that option. It is saving a RAW (NEF) and a JPG version for each shutter click. Can consume a lot of memory card space, but it's useful for exactly this application.

I also like Picasa if you are not wanting to buy (or unable to run) a more robust application.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
My idea is:

Oops. I was being a smart *** (by leaving out the 'but' part). I was going to wait a couple minutes, then post up the rest of the info - but I got distracted. :eek:

Thanks to nwood for picking up my slack.

That's the big thing - you use a lot of space on the memory card, then you end up having to transfer that extra data to your computer (longer transfer time), and storing it on your PC permanently (presumably). Some people like it, some don't. Personally, I'm not a fan.

Why? Because I end up using (posting on the 'net, e-mail, etc) just 1 or 2% of the photo's I take - I don't need or want .JPG copies of all of them. The rest live on my hard drive where I can view them (or show them to visitors) in RAW via Aperture, Lightroom, or with the Mac viewer (what ever it's called --- 'preview', or something to that effect).

That's just my take on it, based the way I store/process/share images -- which may or may not match what others are doing.

:)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yes. Your camera is recording two images at one time with that option. It is saving a RAW (NEF) and a JPG version for each shutter click. Can consume a lot of memory card space, but it's useful for exactly this application.

I also like Picasa if you are not wanting to buy (or unable to run) a more robust application.

Actually, I find the extra space required is pretty insignificant. Just switch between the two and you should see the number of available shots doesn't differ that much.

That said, I would use this option first unless you want to post process pics in raw prior to sending them.

Alternatively you could upload them to a photo sharing site and just send a link instead. They can then download them as required.:ylsmoke:

dependencies

Observer
Bear with me just a bit more fella's
If I want to store RAW for future editing then, can I store these files on picasa
(as I do with JPEG)
or must they stay on my hard drive,

or can they be kept at Flikr or somewhere

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94