rattles and squeaks-- coolant fan? , FZJ80

MOAK

Adventurer
My cooling fan turns smooth as silk when the engine is off, just about 3/4 to 1 full turn before it will stop and it isn't loose or wobbly at all. So, I've done the stethoscope test on the alternator, the water pump, and the brand new A/C unit and all bearings smooth as silk, sooo,,, it must be the fan clutch that is making all the noise,, noisy that is until the engine warms up then the noise goes away. I've also noticed the cruiser is a bit on the cold blooded side,, takes a while to warm up, so after a bit of research I've surmised that it must be the clutch bearings going bad in the coolant fan assembly... How wrong am I? thanks for all input...BTW,, I checked MUD but the portal seems to be a bit more reliable.... thanks

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Rattles and squeks.........sounds like a tensioner bearing just about to leave the engine bay, as they are spring loaded it's often dificult to see,
Remove belt and check each pulley ...they should roll easy and smoothly with less than .5mm play...

MOAK

Adventurer
Rattles and squeks.........sounds like a tensioner bearing just about to leave the engine bay, as they are spring loaded it's often dificult to see,
Remove belt and check each pulley ...they should roll easy and smoothly with less than .5mm play...

I thought that might well be the case, but would the noise go away after warm up? Nonetheless, I'm pulling some belts tomorrow to check your thoughts, and my original thought... I need to quit sherlocking these things and just go with my instinct... thanks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior