Rath's Trailer build - We're done!!!

Rath

we're in the home stretch! Lid is riveted together, and back on the trailer. also riveted on the latches, and the foam between to seal.

If the weather is nice tomorrow, I'll be working on lights.

wBDijR1h.jpg

Uqf7thxh.jpg

HrflOnjh.jpg

kEtfu9Sh.jpg

8LHdsZxh.jpg

Rath

side markers on, lights are all wired together now, and the plug is installed in the truck.... not very pretty but it's functional (hopefully) also have the fenders and some 1" square tube to mount them up. I have everything I need, just need time to finish the small things.

78IWyx2h.jpg

qzySxZUh.jpg

OpPoYfwh.jpg

NlHCzgih.jpg

I wanted to have the plug over left a teeny bit more, but due to bumper brackets I couldn't. so, hacking into the plastic is what I did lol.

Rath

buttoning up a bunch of small things the last few days. trimmed the fenders up, and bent them outwards a tiny bit. trimmed 7" off the front and 5" off the back. and made mounts. I made them to bolt into existing holes that hold the wood on, as to not leave any extra holes if I choose to change tire setup and require different fenders in the future.

3YVxCbrh.jpg

vR1S8Y8h.jpg

ix4CVkuh.jpg

1NzTG4zh.jpg

and painted

r3A3oYjh.jpg

ob8r8PQh.jpg

pE7YJh8h.jpg

auwvna0h.jpg

also did a bunch of time consuming brace isntalling. this was done to keep the corners tight into the corners, and the boards solid at the ends. since I only have bolts in the middles. Not the best looking thing in the world, but this one is function over form

j4DXNfAh.jpg

Oh yeah, and I also finally got a grade 8 bolt to hold the pintle ring, and used a couple washers to attach my safety cables.

0Wmys0th.jpg

EYHWaYzh.jpg

GdKTmhAh.jpg

Rath

few more odds and ends coming together, first trip in 2 weeks!

Tongue jack is now on

FOU7BpQh.jpg

EhM1sSnh.jpg

also got the gas shocks mounted to the lid/trailer. They are luckily the perfect strength and moutning position! only a little bit of math was involved in choosing where they mounted, and it worked out!

xK30Gvrh.jpg

NIG36tAh.jpg

lid stays open, safely open, on it's own! very easy to open and close as well.

AigDwtWh.jpg

I did get some rigid insulation to install in the lid, and some I may install in the sides as well, as I will have a cooler in the trailer, so I figured a little extra help wouldnt hurt

Rath

Just lots of small things lately! It's essentially done and ready for my trip monday.

plastic end caps finally came in for the few sections of open tube.

1G4Q7W4h.jpg

Eiust4Fh.jpg

Really happy with how it's turned out!

PFxoyuPh.jpg

sY4qmExh.jpg

billiebob

I know some people don't like spacers. We're not gonna get into that lol.
Neither here nor there, I just follow the $$$. I had the same issue but a new axle cost $207 and spacers were over $100 so I had a new axle built to the exact spec I needed.

How much were your spacers?

And where did you buy the fenders ?

Rath

I paid $109 for 4 spacers and had a friend that needed two, so, $60 for the two spacers essentially.

Fenders were purchased from Trailer Canada. with shipping, they were $119 for the pair.

Rath

had a successful first trip out! No real issues with the trailer, just little quirks to address, some I knew I would have to do.

anywho, a few photos

010gRBJh.jpg

t4aETmoh.jpg

some hardcore wheeling, too!

cJNDYduh.jpg

ZP6qNZmh.jpg

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
This was a great thread to binge! Start to finish - really nice work. Turned out uber cool! Thanks for sharing it!

Rath

thanks! Still some small things I want to do, to improve on its functionality now that i've used it in the real world, but, yeah it's been a fun project!

IronScott

@Rath - great build! I'm going to steal some of your ideas :devilish: I do have a question, though, and I may have missed it from an earlier post, but how long is the trailer tongue from the end to the box? I like how you made it long enough to turn tight with it.

old_CWO

I really like your tire/wheel choice. Tall and skinny mud tires capture that vintage trailer vibe. I built around matching my truck for sake of simplification (and hand-me-down tires on the trailer) but much prefer the look of what you have there.

Nice work.

Rath

I really like your tire/wheel choice. Tall and skinny mud tires capture that vintage trailer vibe. I built around matching my truck for sake of simplification (and hand-me-down tires on the trailer) but much prefer the look of what you have there.

Nice work.

Thanks! I considered doing the same tire size, but I swap sizes during winter/summer, so I would have had to of picked one or the other. and then I would have had to use a wider axle, or much wider spacers, etc. the tall skinny was the no brainer way to go in this case, and it worked out quite well! Eventually I will have a tire carrier on the trailer for a spare, as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles