Ratchet straps, electrical cords and other "tangle-ables"

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Over hand knot in the flattened straps and then stored in a suitably sized bag; I've got a load of cam buckle straps in an old full body harness bag, whilst my ratchet straps go in a boot bag.

I like the idea of the daisy chaining that someone else suggested; that's generally how I tidy up ropes unless I do a climber's coil with them.

rayra

Expedition Leader
the sort of velcro ties that are used to bundle CAt5 cables are useful, if you can find them in a larger size. They loop thru themselves to stay anchored on the cord / cable / rope, then wrap around the whole bundle back onto themselves

I usually loop the item up and tie it around the midpoint with a tail end. Much like bundling an extension cord (will add an illustration pic later). Works for a lot of things. Then any soft bag would do. I use several 12" soft tool bags to organize such stuff by task, tools, towing, tire inflation / repair, the stays and pegs for my awning stuff, tie-downs and cordage in a bag. Works well in my drawer setup.

Mobryan71

Just thinking about this question and a possible solution but, was wondering how many items you’d routinely carry and their sizes. I know it would be different for everyone, so it may not be practical but, fun to play with.

Paul, if I'm on your wavelength, I'd like straps/pouches for 4 1" wide 12' long ratchet or cam straps, a flap top pouch for 100' of parachute cord with a feed through hole, and another equally sized flap top pouch for miscellaneous hardware or bungee cords. If that wasn't what you had in mind, please disregard.

Matt

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding
For my ratchet straps, I put them in clear zip-lock bags. Preferably the freezer bags (thicker plastic), with the “zipper” little handle you slide across to open/close the bag.

For long extension cords, I daisy chain them. You can pay out only the length you need and leave the rest of it daisy chained.

Scoutman

Explorer
I use 2 items that really help keep my cords, straps, bungee cords, etc under wraps. One is heavy duty hair ties and the other is those shock cords with the ball on the end. I keep a handful of those hair ties on my gear shifter and they get used for all sorts of things that a rubber band would be used for (even tying up my wife's hair). They work great for smaller ratchet straps, cam buckles, and the like. The shock cords come in a pack of 8 or so and are better suited for the larger bundles or for bigger ratchets.

I keep a few of every size and type in my straps bag and it lives in my truck bed box. I can probably cull a few bungee cords but generally it all gets used. Some 550 cord, cotton rope, and a handful of caribiners, clips, etc. live in the bag as well.

The 'blue' bungees on the right are a pair of 'perfect bungees' I've been trying out. They stay out of the bag along with one old strap that are my quick grabs. The perfect bungees have lost their color but seem to be holding up pretty well so far.

af30f5a7aee2cd2755595dfdaa2e7766.jpg
99853b9027b2be3db29b9d7dbcdf81de.jpg
5a9fb19f1be9e8a9aecd73935ed45800.jpg
9ef2dbb90efad304bd5db09884629777.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

billiebob

I use 2 items that really help keep my cords, straps, bungee cords, etc under wraps. One is heavy duty hair ties and the other is those shock cords with the ball on the end. I keep a handful of those hair ties on my gear shifter and they get used for all sorts of things that a rubber band would be used for (even tying up my wife's hair). They work great for smaller ratchet straps, cam buckles, and the like. The shock cords come in a pack of 8 or so and are better suited for the larger bundles or for bigger ratchets.

I keep a few of every size and type in my straps bag and it lives in my truck bed box. I can probably cull a few bungee cords but generally it all gets used. Some 550 cord, cotton rope, and a handful of caribiners, clips, etc. live in the bag as well.

The 'blue' bungees on the right are a pair of 'perfect bungees' I've been trying out. They stay out of the bag along with one old strap that are my quick grabs. The perfect bungees have lost their color but seem to be holding up pretty well so far.

af30f5a7aee2cd2755595dfdaa2e7766.jpg
99853b9027b2be3db29b9d7dbcdf81de.jpg
5a9fb19f1be9e8a9aecd73935ed45800.jpg
9ef2dbb90efad304bd5db09884629777.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
holy, that is even more anal than me

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I use the self-sticking hook-and-loop type cable-tie stuff in basically the same way that SDDiver5 uses zip ties. The long ones (~12" or so) make it easy to get a tight wrap over both parts of a rolled-ratchet strap set.
what he said

(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles