Ratchet straps, electrical cords and other "tangle-ables"

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
How do folks here store their ratchets straps, ropes, electrical cords or other things that are liable to get tangled up when stored?

What "hacks" or tricks have you found to keep such items both quickly usable but also not get them tangled up?

I carry several ratchet straps for tying down kayaks, strapping pop up awnings to picnic tables, and other items like that and have yet to come up with a really satisfactory way of keeping them from getting tangled up without compromising their usefulness.

So, looking for ideas/suggestions.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I roll them up and zip tie them. My ratchet straps I just thread it through as if you were going to strap something down and then take the main ratchet part and just turn and turn until its all rolled up. One large zip tie wraps around it and I always have a knife on me so its simple. For extension cords and and rope I coil them, fold once or twice and then zip tie.

Zip ties are super under rated in the overland world.

D

Deleted member 9101

Roll/wrap them up neatly and bind them with velcro from Harbor Freight.

JPaul

Observer
Velcro ties. If it has a hook (most ratchet straps) then the velcro tie is wrapped around the hook permanently and then the strap is rolled around the hook and secured with the velcro tie.

Anything that is a cord (like my winch controller) then the tie goes around the cord and then the bundle.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

tatanka48

i have picked up short pieces of Romex in 1'-3' lengths

i peel the outer covering and have 3 "twist ties

the solid copper wire inside the plastic insulation works well and can be re-used/purposed as needed

bungees, hoses, ratchet straps, canoe/kayak paddles, fishing poles...

"T"

Mobryan71

I daisy chain all the long straps/cords, then roll them up. Tape or velcro strap around the roll to keep them in place, depending on how often I use that particular item. It makes for nice symmetrical flat cylinders that stack well. If it's particularly long, instead of a roll, I can take the daisy chain, lay it flat, then fold it up in a rectangular package to fit the available space.

I'm digging the Romex idea, though. Pretty easy for me to find scraps of that stuff laying around.

Matt

Westy

Adventurer
Roll up the big straps / ratchets and wrap with a large rubber band or velcro strap. Started using the Front Runner bungee straps as well, much simpler and easy to use for securing small to medium gear.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
How do folks here store their ratchets straps, ropes, electrical cords or other things that are liable to get tangled up when stored?

What "hacks" or tricks have you found to keep such items both quickly usable but also not get them tangled up?

I carry several ratchet straps for tying down kayaks, strapping pop up awnings to picnic tables, and other items like that and have yet to come up with a really satisfactory way of keeping them from getting tangled up without compromising their usefulness.

So, looking for ideas/suggestions.

Just thinking about this question and a possible solution but, was wondering how many items you’d routinely carry and their sizes. I know it would be different for everyone, so it may not be practical but, fun to play with.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles