Ratchet straps, electrical cords and other "tangle-ables"

I’ve gotten away from ratchet straps. Too much China made junk. Some rope and good old fashioned American knot know.

Over-under for short extension cords, daisy chain for longer.

Over-under or figure eight for garden hoses. Rolled for fire hose.

G8rRanger

Daisy chain plain webbing and cordage, wrap and tuck others. It's not rocket science!

View attachment 607345
This photo shows what I use as my technique for ratchet straps, as I don't need anything else. (CRS happens a lot at my age.) It's imperfect but accomplishes the mission. I know the advantages of Daisy chaining extension cords, but I have muscle-memory of climber's coils and just don't seem to be able to do them any other way. Maybe it was that second trip through the Mountain Phase of Ranger School, and all the climber's coiling I did there....

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
These are the bomb!! https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Original-Reusable-Rubber/dp/B00SHBN21S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2AM4TXD8XKH7H&dchild=1&keywords=wire+ties+reusable+twist&qid=1601423544&sprefix=Wire+ties,aps,212&sr=8-3
Come in all sizes and colors up to 24”. Useful for everything. I have the entire handle of my ARB fridge hung with about 20 assorted sizes. Our last trip we just kept finding tons of uses for them. Been buying at Home Depot.
My dad found those at home depot and he has hundreds. He swears by them.

dstefan

Over-under for short extension cords

+ 1 on this. Keeps em from tangling. I’ve read Hollywood gaffers (the guys who do the electric rigging) can get fired for failing to do this. They run so many cords it really speeds things up. I had a 50 ft tangled up home compressor air line from me using the climbing/sailing twist coil technique and disciplined my self to do this and after the twist got reversed the difference was amazing. Try it.

pluton

Adventurer
+ 1 on this. Keeps em from tangling. I’ve read Hollywood gaffers (the guys who do the electric rigging) can get fired for failing to do this. They run so many cords it really speeds things up. I had a 50 ft tangled up home compressor air line from me using the climbing/sailing twist coil technique and disciplined my self to do this and after the twist got reversed the difference was amazing. Try it.
Good on you for not tolerating gonked up extension cords. Any way that allows you to store them without tension and be able to be thrown out without tangling is a good way.
As a some-time Hollywood gaffer, I can report that a feature film crew deals with everything from thin little charger cords for small LED lights and very small audio and video cables to hundreds of feet of 0000 ("four-ought") power feeder cables.
The cables must always be stored in an orderly fashion and be ready for use at any time, without taking time to untangle. 'Over-Under' cable wrapping is usually used for smaller cables such as audio and video and usually discouraged for 25' and 50 12/3 120V AC extension cords and larger. But, it can work for 120V AC extension cords and beats having them all tangled up.
The object of the of the cable wrapping protocol is always to coil up the cables without stored tension. That's the object of the daisy-chain wrap, which of course can be avoided by just using 50' or 25' cables which easily and quickly be coiled in a circular pattern.

dstefan

And then there’s gaffer tape! As a photographer, I absolutely worship that stuff.:love: Amazing for cable mounting and control as well as dust control in the bed of my truck too!

D

Deleted member 9101

I keep mine in the bag that my cordless drill came in. Works great and fits snugly in the little storage area under my back seat.

20210703_095000.jpg

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier