Raptor Overlanding?

yfarm

Observer
Last December I had just finished a wonderful weekend of pheasant hunting and was headed home to south Texas on a deserted two lane highway in southwest Kansas. Sunny day, dry pavement, snow covered landscape listening to that Raptor v8 windout, no stereo necessary. Saw a tanker truck a mile or so ahead, as I drew closer noriced a dark blob behind the truck pull over. As I passed by the trooper turned on his lights, I pulled over, trooper asked me how fast I was going. I responded no clue just enjoying the day and listening to the motor. 92 in a 65, only downside to a wonderful truck. Original owner 2011 scab no mods 115,000 great miles.

Last edited:

Jupiter58

Interesting reads. Just got back from a 12 day trip in WY/ID/MT in my 2007 f150 build.

Every hill on the road I had to aggressively downshift to get up and gravel/mountain roads that made me spill my coffee really made me want a raptor. I have been back and fourth for 2 years on this (almost buying one 2 times) but I just have trouble jumping off the edge. My 07 is reliable, already beat up so I don’t care about trail scratches at all, and hauls everything we want and need in the 6.5’ bed.

With a raptor (specifically looking at 2012-14s) I will get a ******** ton more comfort and power and fun off-road and on. Sounds like a no-Brainer…. Until I’m rubbing the paint off of my 2007 on the side of a mountain without a care in the world and then the raptor starts to not make so much sense to me anymore for a $40k truck with 100k miles on it…. Who knows. If I get one I’ll report back.

They do sell shocks and gears to tide you over. Get the ride and some power back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dezertpilot

Just sold my 2019 Raptor, loved it! Traded it in for a 2022 SD Tremor because I need to tow a bigger trailer.
I'd love to own a gen3 or something in the future with a GFC, man that would be rad.

Anyways, I have stock and aftermarket parts that I took off my gen2 for sale if anyone needs some cool stuff for a good price.

dbhost

Within the last couple years I've almost purchased everything from a 200 Series, to a Galdiator, to most recently a Tremor F350. I may have vehicle ADD. My wife and I have plans to full time, hoping mid next year, but in the meantime we were looking for something fun.

I've wanted a Raptor since they were first unveiled in 09', and have been putting away a $1 here and a $1 there towards one ever since. Well, I kinda sorta accidentally got in a bidding war on BAT and bought a Gen 1 Raptor with 1400 miles on it. Which is a dream come true for anyone who has seen the Born in Baja Documentary.

I am wondering why people are so much more willing to dump insane amounts of money of Tacomas and half tons, but so much less willing to overland with a Raptor? A quick search here shows many example of people who naysay the Raptor and its capabilities. Am I missing something other than it has crap payload and is 6 inches wider than an equivalent F150? Same payload as a Jeep or Tacoma, but way more comfortable and capable in a stock configuration?

Here is my plan for this truck: GFC v2, A pillar mounted BD Lp6's, Warn Zeon 10 in a SDHQ hidden mount, Deaver +3 full leaf pack, and some Decked drawers. Clean and simple. Thoughts? Anything I'm missing for a fast and light touring vehicle for a family of 4?

There are naysayers for everything. The F150 Raptor is a great overlanding truck. As are regular F150s, as are.... whatever you can make work for you.

I'm not taking a full size pickup of any sort down the same trails I used to bounce my old CJ7, mostly due to fitment issues. Yes the raptor is a tad wider. I've never been down a trail I would be willing to drive where width is that worrying...

SitesSD

We have a 2018 Raptor that is essentially used as a daily driver and occasional tow vehicle for a flatbed trailer with a total weight of about 8k lbs when loaded. Power-wise, its great. The torque and 10 speed pulls the weight without any problems. However, the suspension is obviously much softer than the standard F150s and payload is less, so be prepared for either a very light camper or needing to add some suspension mods to stiffen up the rear when loaded, or there might be some white knuckling if you try to put too much in the bed. We had a 2011 Raptor and the rear suspension on the 2018 is noticeably softer when towing. So I ended up adding some of those Timbren extended bumpstops on the 18, whereas I didn't need to do anything to the 11.

ricoisme26

Interesting reads. Just got back from a 12 day trip in WY/ID/MT in my 2007 f150 build.

Every hill on the road I had to aggressively downshift to get up and gravel/mountain roads that made me spill my coffee really made me want a raptor. I have been back and fourth for 2 years on this (almost buying one 2 times) but I just have trouble jumping off the edge. My 07 is reliable, already beat up so I don’t care about trail scratches at all, and hauls everything we want and need in the 6.5’ bed.

With a raptor (specifically looking at 2012-14s) I will get a ******** ton more comfort and power and fun off-road and on. Sounds like a no-Brainer…. Until I’m rubbing the paint off of my 2007 on the side of a mountain without a care in the world and then the raptor starts to not make so much sense to me anymore for a $40k truck with 100k miles on it…. Who knows. If I get one I’ll report back.

Like @Jupiter58 said above, they make aftermarket suspension for your truck, honestly the most impressive/inspiring builds I've seen are people adapting and combining components that may or may not have been made for their vehicle to make something that works for them. I have a 2012 F150 and while I'd love a raptor I couldn't imagine spending the money on one before vehicle prices took off over the past year. My truck is almost paid for and I bought it used at a good price a few years back. Hoping to go this route and upgrade my suspension. even if I only get 75% of the performance of a raptor out of it that will probably be more than I ever use, no sand dunes to huck or desert roads for me to blast down in PA.

rawrear

Just sold my 2019 Raptor, loved it! Traded it in for a 2022 SD Tremor because I need to tow a bigger trailer.
I'd love to own a gen3 or something in the future with a GFC, man that would be rad.

Anyways, I have stock and aftermarket parts that I took off my gen2 for sale if anyone needs some cool stuff for a good price.

What parts do you have?

HUMMER/Expeditions

Tacoma new is 38k, raptor new is 90k plus markup in most dealers.
So if Tacoma guys spend 10 grand on it, it’s good to go.
raptor on the other hand is one expensive beautiful toy that needs nothing really.

It’s not that ppl don’t wanna spend money on raptor, it’s just not as affordable

you also have to look at average Tacoma buyers age and income bracket compared to raptor buyers it’s totally different

Last edited:

Grassland

Tacoma new 38k raptor new 90 plus markup in most places
So if this Tacoma guys spend 10 grand on it, it’s good to go.
raptor is one expensive beautiful toy that needs nothing really.

It’s not that ppl don’t wanna spend money on raptor, it’s just not as affordable

you also have yo look at average Tacoma buyers age and income bracket compared to raptor buyers, totally different
Tacoma is 45-50k in central Canada. More right now because of Covid.
Raptor is 90-100k prior to this nonsense. Ift guess there isn't any here now because we are farming peasants.
I have no follow up other than I'm drunk and hate living here.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Tacoma new 38k raptor new 90 plus markup in most places
So if this Tacoma guys spend 10 grand on it, it’s good to go.
raptor is one expensive beautiful toy that needs nothing really.

you also have yo look at average Tacoma buyers age and income bracket compared to raptor buyers, totally different

Aint that the truth. Most of the Raptor meet ups, especially before the GEN2 became available I was the youngest owner by 10 to 15 years easy.

I thought 55k was expensive in 2014, turns out it was a steal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles