Raptor Overlanding?

al415

Observer
In the past 15 years or so I’ve had Range Rover Classics, Discos, Defenders, an FJ80 and a built 4x4 Sprinter. Each of these vehicles did some things better than the Raptor: The FJ and Defenders were obviously more nimble off road. The Sprinter couldn’t be beat as a boondocking, pick up and go and sleep wherever you can park kinda rig.

But when it came to the 300 days of the year I wasn’t road-tripping or camping, each of them was either a limited daily driver or just flat out uncomfortable over long distances.

The Raptor can get to 90% of the same places and does so more rapidly, quietly and with significantly more comfort: All while being a hugely enjoyable daily driver.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
In the past 15 years or so I’ve had Range Rover Classics, Discos, Defenders, an FJ80 and a built 4x4 Sprinter. Each of these vehicles did some things better than the Raptor: The FJ and Defenders were obviously more nimble off road. The Sprinter couldn’t be beat as a boondocking, pick up and go and sleep wherever you can park kinda rig.

But when it came to the 300 days of the year I wasn’t road-tripping or camping, each of them was either a limited daily driver or just flat out uncomfortable over long distances.

The Raptor can get to 90% of the same places and does so more rapidly, quietly and with significantly more comfort: All while being a hugely enjoyable daily driver.

So which do you still own?

al415

Observer
I enjoyed the sprinter a lot. We went coast to coast in it, up and down the east coast and it was great for getting mountain bikes or dirt bikes to the trails.

However, like I mentioned above, as a daily driver I didn’t find it very rewarding. It was still a huge van with many of the dynamic limitations you’d expect. I upgraded the suspension to a Van Compass kit and added bigger KO2s all around. All that helped but if we weren’t taking it on an adventure somewhere, the Sprinter was never a vehicle I loved jumping in just for the sake of driving.

The Raptor is the polar opposite. It’s rewarding to drive, whether on mundane errands or multi day trips.

Chunkylover76

We have had many Jeeps (currently have a JKUR), a Tacoma, and now a Raptor. The Raptor is by far the best overlanding vehicle we have had. It has a 36 gallon fuel tank, tows a camper like dream, and gets 16 mpg while towing it if you keep to a reasonable speed. We drove from Grand Junction, Co. all the way to the Kansas boarder on a single tank of gas towing the camper last November. It is wide but it isn't much wider than most vehicles you see on the trail with wheel spacers and greater offset wheels. It wouldn't be the best choice for mountain pass trails but I wouldn't be afraid to take it anywhere else. If you are overlanding you are covering a lot of miles and the Raptor just eats them up.

If you are just out for trail riding or technical slow trails the Jeep will run circles around it. If you want to move your family, your equipment, a small home on wheels, hit some trails, and a few daily hikes the Raptor is the superior choice any day.

Attachments

• capreef.jpg
    capreef.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I'd imagine reasons people go for taco over raptor is entry price which is significantly lower in a taco and the overland specific aftermarket support is much higher for a taco than a raptor. The majority of aftermarket support for raptors is desert racing focused. Usually.

But moreso than price, since there is more overland support with tacos.......the more overland gear you have makes you a wayyyyyyy better instagram overlander so ya know....do it for the gram.

But congrats on the purchase, what a freaking score. I love raptors and cant wait to own one some day.

al415

Observer
I'd imagine reasons people go for taco over raptor is entry price which is significantly lower in a taco and the overland specific aftermarket support…

I never cross shopped a Raptor with a Tacoma. The times I’ve considered a Taco were always when I was coming from a smaller and more utilitarian vehicle; such as a Defender 90 or FJ80. And the Tacoma’s huge aftermarket was always a big factor in their favor.

When I decided I wanted a Raptor I was cross shopping them with the new Defender or a CPO Range Rover Diesel. More modern, luxurious mile eaters. I decided the aftermarket for the RR was too small and that just getting some decent AT tires on one would require fiddling with the factory (air) suspension in ways I wasn’t comfortable with.

So, anyway, I don't know that many folks would really cross shop Tacomas and Raptors. At this point I can’t imagine going back to something as small as a Taco for taking the family on multi-day or multi-week trips. If anything, when the time comes, I’ll be looking at Superdutys and other HD trucks.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I never cross shopped a Raptor with a Tacoma. The times I’ve considered a Taco were always when I was coming from a smaller and more utilitarian vehicle; such as a Defender 90 or FJ80. And the Tacoma’s huge aftermarket was always a big factor in their favor.

When I decided I wanted a Raptor I was cross shopping them with the new Defender or a CPO Range Rover Diesel. More modern, luxurious mile eaters. I decided the aftermarket for the RR was too small and that just getting some decent AT tires on one would require fiddling with the factory (air) suspension in ways I wasn’t comfortable with.

So, anyway, I don't know that many folks would really cross shop Tacomas and Raptors. At this point I can’t imagine going back to something as small as a Taco for taking the family on multi-day or multi-week trips. If anything, when the time comes, I’ll be looking at Superdutys and other HD trucks.
You make valid points.

Regardless, once the OP gets the truck and stomps on the gas pedal and hears and feels the 6.2 roar to life it wont even matter lol

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Raptors are rad, despite some of the stigmas. I think there is a lot of perceived reliability in Toyotas that encourages novices to select them, not to mention the whole 'look how much extra money I've conspicuously consumed to make it EXTRA' factor. The Raptor is really, more or less perfect stock. I think, as this phase of the overland explosion ages, you'll see a lot more people trading up from smaller vehicles to full-sizes, both as their family grows in size, or they just get tired of being cramped all the time. I just sold my GX470 for similar reasons...but I'm a dope and bought a Nissan. There are some things that Toyota's, especially anything on the 120/150 platform will never have:
400+ hp
ability to fit 35s easily
truly comfortable drivers seat

Will Riggs

Observer
I bought my gen 1 raptor specifically for overland type stuff and pulling dual sport motorcycles across the country. It's perfect for what I'm doing. Plenty of power, extremely capable and the most comfortable truck/suv I've owned. No clue why they aren't more popular for these types of communities, but either way the truck is great.

Attachments

• 20210706_112523.jpg
    20210706_112523.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • 20210706_122859.jpg
    20210706_122859.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 64
  • 20210706_184617.jpg
    20210706_184617.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 61

Jacoba331

Interesting reads. Just got back from a 12 day trip in WY/ID/MT in my 2007 f150 build.

Every hill on the road I had to aggressively downshift to get up and gravel/mountain roads that made me spill my coffee really made me want a raptor. I have been back and fourth for 2 years on this (almost buying one 2 times) but I just have trouble jumping off the edge. My 07 is reliable, already beat up so I don’t care about trail scratches at all, and hauls everything we want and need in the 6.5’ bed.

With a raptor (specifically looking at 2012-14s) I will get a ******** ton more comfort and power and fun off-road and on. Sounds like a no-Brainer…. Until I’m rubbing the paint off of my 2007 on the side of a mountain without a care in the world and then the raptor starts to not make so much sense to me anymore for a $40k truck with 100k miles on it…. Who knows. If I get one I’ll report back.

Grassland

Interesting reads. Just got back from a 12 day trip in WY/ID/MT in my 2007 f150 build.

Every hill on the road I had to aggressively downshift to get up and gravel/mountain roads that made me spill my coffee really made me want a raptor. I have been back and fourth for 2 years on this (almost buying one 2 times) but I just have trouble jumping off the edge. My 07 is reliable, already beat up so I don’t care about trail scratches at all, and hauls everything we want and need in the 6.5’ bed.

With a raptor (specifically looking at 2012-14s) I will get a ******** ton more comfort and power and fun off-road and on. Sounds like a no-Brainer…. Until I’m rubbing the paint off of my 2007 on the side of a mountain without a care in the world and then the raptor starts to not make so much sense to me anymore for a $40k truck with 100k miles on it…. Who knows. If I get one I’ll report back.
Now is not the time to buy literally anything.
We need another van for fleet, oops 55k CAD and there is none.
Look at the used market and it's as if every ad is trolling you.
Raptors start at 88k CAD locally so 40k for a 7 year old used one with 160k km seems like a deal these days.

Just drive your old ford until people start getting their trucks repossessed when interest rates go back to normal levels. In theory the market should be flooded with lightly used trucks again in a few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94