Raptor Overlanding?

Within the last couple years I've almost purchased everything from a 200 Series, to a Galdiator, to most recently a Tremor F350. I may have vehicle ADD. My wife and I have plans to full time, hoping mid next year, but in the meantime we were looking for something fun.

I've wanted a Raptor since they were first unveiled in 09', and have been putting away a $1 here and a $1 there towards one ever since. Well, I kinda sorta accidentally got in a bidding war on BAT and bought a Gen 1 Raptor with 1400 miles on it. Which is a dream come true for anyone who has seen the Born in Baja Documentary.

I am wondering why people are so much more willing to dump insane amounts of money of Tacomas and half tons, but so much less willing to overland with a Raptor? A quick search here shows many example of people who naysay the Raptor and its capabilities. Am I missing something other than it has crap payload and is 6 inches wider than an equivalent F150? Same payload as a Jeep or Tacoma, but way more comfortable and capable in a stock configuration?

Here is my plan for this truck: GFC v2, A pillar mounted BD Lp6's, Warn Zeon 10 in a SDHQ hidden mount, Deaver +3 full leaf pack, and some Decked drawers. Clean and simple. Thoughts? Anything I'm missing for a fast and light touring vehicle for a family of 4?

HouseVVares

I have a 2014 and I love it. I've owned numerous light and heavy trucks and jeeps. But my Raptor has been my favorite for getting off grid to go play. I personally don't think there is one right answer for going exploring offroad but for me; I really think the Raptor is hard to beat when it comes to bombing along a highway in comfort with loads of room for the family, and then when we get to the gravel; just keep bombing along in comfort ;) Plus there is something about that 6.2L v8 making sweet sweet noise... I mainly go to play in New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and Nevada. My one real observation would be that it is big; mainly wide. So I have some extra pinstripes from that but fine with me.

I've owned my truck since new in 2014 and it was capable to do what I wanted from day 1. I've been slowing modding just because I can't help it. Currently I'm on 37s and stock rims and fenders. Icon3s because I found them local and used for a good price. Hidden winch behind the front bumper. Just a little extra lighting. Exhaust (so it sounds like it should) and a good tune. The tune would probably my #1 recommendation for the bang for the buck. Greatly improved the drivability and made the transmission less of a slush box. I'm now running a Decked system under a RTT that rests on a homebrew rack mounted low so it still fits in my garage. The truck is my daily driver and all I need to do to get away in the mountains for a week is toss my gear into the bed and go.

I keep thinking some day I will try to write up a build thread to give back some of the info I picked up along the way but have not committed the time to it yet... but let me know if you have any questions. Congrats on your purchase. Awesome finding such a low mile truck. Mine is now pushing 90k I think... I'm still blown away by how these trucks have maintained their value.

This was a month ago in northern New Mexico.
N NM.jpg

FROADER

Adventurer
Camburg owner Jerry Zaiden put a GoFast Camper on his, and has done a few week long trips with it.

jerryraptor_gallery_image_06.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have a 2014 and I love it. I've owned numerous light and heavy trucks and jeeps. But my Raptor has been my favorite for getting off grid to go play. I personally don't think there is one right answer for going exploring offroad but for me; I really think the Raptor is hard to beat when it comes to bombing along a highway in comfort with loads of room for the family, and then when we get to the gravel; just keep bombing along in comfort ;) Plus there is something about that 6.2L v8 making sweet sweet noise... I mainly go to play in New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and Nevada. My one real observation would be that it is big; mainly wide. So I have some extra pinstripes from that but fine with me.

I've owned my truck since new in 2014 and it was capable to do what I wanted from day 1. I've been slowing modding just because I can't help it. Currently I'm on 37s and stock rims and fenders. Icon3s because I found them local and used for a good price. Hidden winch behind the front bumper. Just a little extra lighting. Exhaust (so it sounds like it should) and a good tune. The tune would probably my #1 recommendation for the bang for the buck. Greatly improved the drivability and made the transmission less of a slush box. I'm now running a Decked system under a RTT that rests on a homebrew rack mounted low so it still fits in my garage. The truck is my daily driver and all I need to do to get away in the mountains for a week is toss my gear into the bed and go.

I keep thinking some day I will try to write up a build thread to give back some of the info I picked up along the way but have not committed the time to it yet... but let me know if you have any questions. Congrats on your purchase. Awesome finding such a low mile truck. Mine is now pushing 90k I think... I'm still blown away by how these trucks have maintained their value.

This was a month ago in northern New Mexico.
View attachment 670368
Those lights on your mirrors are pretty slick. What are they?

HouseVVares

I really like the mirror lights; they are a wide beam and because the mount on the mirror they are naturally aimed outward. Most the trails near me in Texas are twisty and tight, so they really help me see in hairpin style turns. I can also fold my mirrors flat and then they aim out almost straight sideways; I've used them a few times for setting up camp late at night. The ones I am running are from Oracle Lighting;

I thought it was a clever little design.

Edit to add; found a quick comparo after I installed them of with and without them on;
side mirror.JPG

Last edited:

skrypj

I see a lot of Raptors around here setup for overlanding. I see a lot of raptors in general, but many of them have bed racks and RTT's. I don't think its that uncommon.

I guess it depends where you are going. The local national forest trails near me(northern Utah) are pretty tight and a raptor simply would not work. There are a lot of spots where I am puckering up just trying to get my '95 4Runner. Down in Southern Utah it would probably do really well.

Last edited:
I see a lot of Raptors around here setup for overlanding. I see a lot of raptors in general, but many of them have bed racks and RTT's. I don't think its that uncommon.

I guess it depends where you are going. The local national forest trails near me(northern Utah) are pretty tight and a raptor simply would not work. There are a lot of spots where I am puckering up just trying to get my '95 4Runner. Down in Southern Utah it would probably do really well.

In my neck of the woods its 100% Jeeps and Yotas. I see plenty of Raptors, but never in the dirt.

jadmt

ignore button user
It all depends on what kind of stuff you want to do. Tight trails they will be a handful. normal forest service roads they would be great. Buddy has a new one and an awesome truck. I wanted one but every dealer was tacking on $5000 on top of msrp and low mile excellent conditions used ones were over priced too so I ended up going power wagon. You should have a blast. I was just at GFC getting my hinges replaced and they had a new Raptor with GFC. Better order you camper now as they are a ways out especially on anything that is not a tacoma.

T-Ravis

I have a 2018 (and previously a 2014) I have been building up for overlanding. Leitner rack, Ikamper, decked drawers, icon leafs, extra lighting etc… they are extremely capable. I use my truck in the southwest so I have quite a bit of desert pin pinstripes on the truck but a good wash and wax cleans it up. My local group is mainly Toyota’s and Jeeps that we adventure with. The creature comforts on the trail make up for the sound of brush running down the side of the truck in the narrow sections! I have not found a location yet I couldn’t get the raptor into with the Toyota guys.

billiebob

Within the last couple years I've almost purchased everything from a 200 Series, to a Galdiator, to most recently a Tremor F350. I may have vehicle ADD. My wife and I have plans to full time, hoping mid next year, but in the meantime we were looking for something fun.

I've wanted a Raptor since they were first unveiled in 09', and have been putting away a $1 here and a $1 there towards one ever since. Well, I kinda sorta accidentally got in a bidding war on BAT and bought a Gen 1 Raptor with 1400 miles on it. Which is a dream come true for anyone who has seen the Born in Baja Documentary.

I am wondering why people are so much more willing to dump insane amounts of money of Tacomas and half tons, but so much less willing to overland with a Raptor? A quick search here shows many example of people who naysay the Raptor and its capabilities. Am I missing something other than it has crap payload and is 6 inches wider than an equivalent F150? Same payload as a Jeep or Tacoma, but way more comfortable and capable in a stock configuration?

Here is my plan for this truck: GFC v2, A pillar mounted BD Lp6's, Warn Zeon 10 in a SDHQ hidden mount, Deaver +3 full leaf pack, and some Decked drawers. Clean and simple. Thoughts? Anything I'm missing for a fast and light touring vehicle for a family of 4?
You nailed it if you want speed and comfort. No doubt it'll work great.

Me I prefer less speed, more, skinnier flexibility so I'd lean to a F150XL, but if the Raptor is the dream, have at 'er.
No reason to think you are missing anything.

I'm a huge fan of the GoFastCamper.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles