Rank my shopping list

Longrange

Professor
So mvswain… no one asked you what kind of driving your planning for the family of 4. Are you new to 4x4 across the SW areas of Ca, NV, NM.? Dirt roads or exploring with the fam? You could snatch up several vehicles with lots of storage, comforts and towable toys. What would be the perfect night for you and the fam?

mvswain

So mvswain… no one asked you what kind of driving your planning for the family of 4. Are you new to 4x4 across the SW areas of Ca, NV, NM.? Dirt roads or exploring with the fam? You could snatch up several vehicles with lots of storage, comforts and towable toys. What would be the perfect night for you and the fam?

Thanks for asking. I would definitely consider myself a 4x4 novice at best. I have been on off road events with the LR dealerships and corporate a handful of times, but that was over 25 years ago. Now that life is allowing, I'd like to get into it a little bit more.

There are a few things that we're thinking about, an example would be to explore some of the trails on the Eastern Sierras between the LA basin and Mammoth, trips that are multiple days long. There will be a fair amount of on-road driving to get to the trails, comfort on both on and off road would be ideal, but I'm realistic and willing to make some sacrifices. We don't have a need to tow anything at this time, if anything it would be a small pop-up trailer, but I think that would be a long ways away. (No 2 wheeled toys in the family, I agreed to give that up as a condition of marriage) I think a roof top tent would come sooner than later. Storage is important and I look forward to getting creative with solutions.

An Ideal night would be to pull into camp a little early, pop the tent, get the kitchen ready, explore with an easy hike, enjoy mom's cooking, clean up, relax by the fire, and call it a night.

I suppose there are many brands out there that could work, there is something about the ethos of LR that keeps bringing me back. Thanks again to everyone who has contributed. It's really got me thinking about all the possibilities. -Mike

morrisdl

Adventurer
RE: Lockers ... I uniquely have 9 years LR3 experience without locker and 3 years in the same truck with ARB rear locker. With and without I was able to go everywhere my friends' OEM rear locker LR3s could. Without the locker, there was LOTS more 1/8 rotation wheel-slips. Like seen in this old video going up Uwharrie/Daniel: . You could hear the engine and ABS fighting all the way up the hill. Seems HARD on CVs and halfshfts. With the ARB locker, no more Traction control fighting with the rear wheels. The OEM locker still seems to engage/disengage a little too frequently for my preference. In precarious situation, the truck is much more stable and predicable with the locker engaged. I love the less drama.

soflorovers

RE: Lockers ... I uniquely have 9 years LR3 experience without locker and 3 years in the same truck with ARB rear locker. With and without I was able to go everywhere my friends' OEM rear locker LR3s could. Without the locker, there was LOTS more 1/8 rotation wheel-slips. Like seen in this old video going up Uwharrie/Daniel: . You could hear the engine and ABS fighting all the way up the hill. Seems HARD on CVs and halfshfts. With the ARB locker, no more Traction control fighting with the rear wheels. The OEM locker still seems to engage/disengage a little too frequently for my preference. In precarious situation, the truck is much more stable and predicable with the locker engaged. I love the less drama.
Good to finally figure out who the proud owner of that LR3 is. I've had that video favorited in my Youtube account for years. If you don't mind me asking, why was this so bouncy? Were you in "extended" height and maxed out the springs? I find that even in off-road height, my previous LR3 and current LR3 are significantly more compliant than that looked.

morrisdl

Adventurer
Thanks! Trial is steeper that appears - you get a better feel towards the end. EAS was probably +50mm. I run lower even offroad these day and only use offroad mode when needed. Lucky8 2" shock tower extension are on my short todo list (just behind never ending maintenance).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier