Rango.....1942 Willys MB

Renrag

Observer
projectrango.jpg

Maybe I've spent too much time driving buggies, but *that* is cool looking!

mikE(sexy)

timgr

Observer
My only prob with this ...

MB parts are generally quite valuable, and historically significant. Any original MB/GPW stuff that you have on this Jeep could be of significant value to a restorer. Since you're not worried about originality, you may be better off chopping a random CJ tub and selling the MB parts. You might even be able to make enough to buy a new MD Juan tub... try asking at the G http://www.g503.com/forums/ and feel out the prices/value of the original parts.

But hey, it's your Jeep ...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The only thing that is 'original' is the seat frames as far as I can tell. The tub itself is mostly beyond hope, dash has been modded, floor cut for the tranny, and about 200 holes drilled in the tub for 70 years of misc stuff. The frame is still a MB frame, but it was heavy modified at one time also. The front crossmember is gone, different motor mounts, different battery tray, different transmission crossmember, etc. The frame is also bent and beat up. If it was worth restoring I would have gone that way. I appreciate that it is a piece of history. I think giving it another 50+ years of life, in the essence of what it was created to do, would be the best life for this little guy....

While it WAS a military jeep at one time, there isn't enough left of it to do a full restoration. Please don't get mad at me, I didn't do all the mods. I just rescued it from the woods of Montana.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
2009-Jeep-Lower-Forty.jpg

It reminds me of this and I 2nd that your 'chopped rendition looks pretty cool. It's your Jeep so build it to suit your needs.

wely

Observer
I might have to send you a pic of my beater so you can chop it like yours. I love how you chopped that cj2a pic. I have always loved offroaders with large wheels and not much lift.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
sure, post a pic and I will 'chop it....everyone needs some inspiration :)

My frame steel got here yesterday. The frame plates where cut yesterday and are shipping off today!

wely

Observer
Here's a Pic!

Here is a pic lets see what you can do.

Attachments

• Grandpa's Beater.jpg
    Grandpa's Beater.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 111

timgr

Observer
... Please don't get mad at me, I didn't do all the mods. I just rescued it from the woods of Montana.

Au contraire, mon frere. I was just trying to be helpful. I have no idea what parts might be valuable to the MV restoration guys. You could give them a chance to salvage some of what's left, if it will help their restos. I kinda think that an original tub may be worth saving, just because it's original... even if it's in sad shape. But maybe not. You can buy a complete repop tub from the PI (MD Juan), but I understand that originality is highly prized by the MV restorers.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Wely, I need a bigger picture than that! something about 800x600 or larger.

The tub is beyond a restoration with the original panels. I don't think the tubs are as highly prized as a new one costs. Don't think I didn't consider it. I have been on the fence about this build for a few years now. There just isn't enough of the original left to take it back to stock. What parts I don't use that are original I will make sure to make available. Remember, just about nothing on this jeep is original, a lot of it was stripped at one time before I got it. As I build it you will see how rough things are....

bldeagle10

Explorer
low center of gravity lifts are the best route in my opinion for most expedition travel. you want to have as much clearance without the worry of tipping over. that was the initial plan with my XJ i wanted 3-3.5" of lift with 33" tires. but i dont want to cut and fold fenders and such so its going to take some time to figure out what i need to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles