Rango.....1942 Willys MB

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
What became of your idea to retrofit a low range quadratrac unit? Personally, I'd go with 4:88 gearing and the quadratrac unit to retain drivability and still have an ultra low range solution :coffeedrink:

I decided against it. I just didn't want the custom parts in the transfer case that it would have required.

Honestly, 4.88s probably won't be any better than the 5.38s, just different. The big problem is these old 4-speed transmissions with the large gap between 3rd and 4th. A 1200 rpm drop is just a little too much for a smaller V6 pushing larger tires. If I was going to build another one I would probably do a larger engine with more mid range torque, a T19 transmission to gain a syncro 1st gear, a transfer case with deeper gears like 3.15s or 4:1s, and something like 3.73/4.10 gears in the axles with the 35" tire. This would give a really broad speed range in 3rd gear for mountains and around town. 4th would be high enough to just loaf down the highway. With the lower transfer case you would have plenty of gearing for crawling. It would require a LOT of low end from the engine....maybe a 500 caddy :) You would probably have to run sand and desert in high range.....but with the syncro 1st that wouldn't be bad at all.

The simple answer is using something like a saturn overdrive to help with the gear splits.....

Sean VHA #60013

Adventurer
I decided against it. I just didn't want the custom parts in the transfer case that it would have required. Honestly, 4.88s probably won't be any better than the 5.38s, just different. The big problem is these old 4-speed transmissions with the large gap between 3rd and 4th. A 1200 rpm drop is just a little too much for a smaller V6 pushing larger tires. If I was going to build another one I would probably do a larger engine with more mid range torque, a T19 transmission to gain a syncro 1st gear, a transfer case with deeper gears like 3.15s or 4:1s, and something like 3.73/4.10 gears in the axles with the 35" tire. This would give a really broad speed range in 3rd gear for mountains and around town. 4th would be high enough to just loaf down the highway. With the lower transfer case you would have plenty of gearing for crawling. It would require a LOT of low end from the engine....maybe a 500 caddy :) You would probably have to run sand and desert in high range.....but with the syncro 1st that wouldn't be bad at all. The simple answer is using something like a saturn overdrive to help with the gear splits.....

If you can stand the lower top speed, then I'd go with the 5.38s as a simple solution before I'd re-power etc, otherwise, I'd maybe look into a different transfer case option.:coffeedrink:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
If you can stand the lower top speed, then I'd go with the 5.38s as a simple solution before I'd re-power etc, otherwise, I'd maybe look into a different transfer case option.:coffeedrink:

Yeah, the transfer case isn't changing any time soon. If I ever found an overdrive at a good price I might plug that in there.

I'm fine with the top speed. I wouldn't really drive it any faster with the 4.88s than I would with the 5.38s. 50-60mph is about as fast as you want to comfortably go. It will go a LOT faster but the wind starts beating you to death, wind noise gets annoying, etc. Basically you just slow down and enjoy the view....

Sean VHA #60013

Adventurer
Yeah, the transfer case isn't changing any time soon. If I ever found an overdrive at a good price I might plug that in there. I'm fine with the top speed. I wouldn't really drive it any faster with the 4.88s than I would with the 5.38s. 50-60mph is about as fast as you want to comfortably go. It will go a LOT faster but the wind starts beating you to death, wind noise gets annoying, etc. Basically you just slow down and enjoy the view....

There is a lot to be said for just slowing down and enjoying the view...probably one of the most therapeutic aspects of a vehicle like Rango :coffeedrink:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
There is a lot to be said for just slowing down and enjoying the view...probably one of the most therapeutic aspects of a vehicle like Rango :coffeedrink:

Very much so! I think driving at interstate speeds just isn't practical in these old things....

I did a 750 mile trip over a long 4th of July weekend once. One of the best trips EVER in my life. It was along the Lochsa river in Idaho coming over from Montana. Actually it was both ways. The trip was just amazing.

I actually have the opportunity to drive the Willys up to Montana for a 4day snow-wheeling trip in the end of May. It is about 950miles each way....fun? Crazy?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm trying to get back into the habit of trying to do something every day on the flat fender in preparation for this trip at the end of May....

Yesterday I started trying to hunt down an affordable way to get the stock shovel and axe back on the side of the vehicle. It is just one of those things that I like about the old military body. I started a thread on that here.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-willys/1259202-shovels-axes-work.html

Tonight I did a few other things.....

I popped my flattened original axe pocket back out to shape and re-welded a few of the tack welds on the rear edge. I think the axe should fit now. Its not perfect but it will work....it has 'character' :)

I also trimmed out the hole in the hood a little bit more on the trailing edge so the carb plenum would stop rubbing. When I installed the new transmission and transfer case the engine ended up at a slightly different angle and the carb plenum moved back slightly. I only had to open up the rear edge by about 1/4" or so. I forgot to get a pic....and the paint on the edge is drying. I will get a pic when the hood is back on.

Oh...and I painted the head and handle on the shovel olive drab.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Very cool. I'm glad to see that you are going to put the indentations to good use.

Have fun on the trip.

Jack

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Well, a bit of progress today....

I had to build this little contraption to get the pinion nut off. It is basically just two studs that slip into a 1310 yoke and locks against the spring or frame. That little bugger is going in the tool bag. You can use a small prybar if you want for the internal rod.

Anyone seen these little keepers before? I don't remember seeing them on your typical D44?

I got to try out my new toy....er tool. Worked like a charm. I got the big set which is suppose to be able to take off all pinion and carrier bearings up to D70/D80/14-bolt stuff. It will be a good investment for the future.

Notice the difference? My early pre-70 D44 had a coarse spline pinion! I need to order up another 1310 fine spline yoke to replace my 10-spline version.

The case spreader worked like a charm! It should work on the D30 front also and also larger stuff with a few more mounting holes. Yipee!

Fun Fun.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
What is the case spreader for? I have never done gears in an axle before this is all new to me.

There is a certain amount of preload on the carrier bearings. Basically the carrier bearing cups with the shims are slightly wider than the housing. The case spreader lets you take some of this pre-load off to make getting the carrier in and out easier.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Ah I see, so there is no side to side adjustment on a 44 like there is on a 14 bolt?

No adjusters like a 14-bolt, Ford 9", or Toyota 8".

All the adjustment is done with shim stacks on the carrier bearings.
The preload is done by adding 'extra' shim on both sides to make it a press fit of sorts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94