Rango.....1942 Willys MB

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Yeah, this is the parts where I tell you its a super big project and I hope your up for it :)

The change in the middle section of the frame is optional. As long as your not trying to go for a super flat belly and tuck everything up as much as possible I would just stick with the 4" tall belly. It only takes two sticks of material to build the complete frame, if you where to change the middle to 5" I think you would end up spending more money on material.

The links on pirate still work for the side plates and pdf....at least they just did for me.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-willys/1000503-rango-1942-willys-mb.html

They are at the bottom of the 1st post.

What are you planning for everything else? Suspension, drivetrain, powertrain, etc.

bishopdunn

Observer
I think I'm finally up for it. I spent the last year trying to cobble the original frame along after the previous owner chopped it up. It had a Chevy V6 conversion and the body was covered by a complete .14 GA. skin when I bought it but the old tub was in relatively good shape for seventy-years old. Just a few rust spots and miscellaneous holes throughout so I ditched the skin. I finally stripped everything down and decided the frame is just too bent and too far gone to redo spring mounts and other stuff and still end up with a fairly decent rig. I want this to last for a long time.

Here's what I hope to end up with:
1942 Willys MB body stretched 8" just in front of the MG mount
1971 Buick 225 V6, Dual Exhaust, Rochester 2bbl
SM420, 7.05:1, Novak Adapter
D18
1971 D44 w/Powertrax 3.73:1 limited slip rear axle
1971 D27 w/LockRight locker front, both with 11" drum brakes
31 x 11.50 15 Goodyear AT radials on 10" steel rims.
Steering is a Vega column and Saginaw steering box out of a Monte Carlo.
XJ Hanging pedals
92"+/- Wheelbase

In the future I plan on upgrading to 35" tires with 5.88 gears and a Warn overdrive. I love having your basically step-by-step narrative to go by. I have access to a welding and machine shop at work plus my own mini-shop at home. I'm not in a hurry, so I will be taking it slow.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I've read most of this thread from the begining, pretty neat build and some innovative ideas.

I've been going to Moab for about 25 years more or less, sometimes 3 trips a year, also missed a few years at a time.

My question is, when is your next Moab trip planned?

I'd like to see this Jeep in action.

John

67390FE

bishopdunn, Make sure you document it and start a thread, so we can live vicariously through your build like we did with Metcalf's! I keep reading this thread over and over, and I am still picking up ideas. Thanks Metcalf!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I think I'm finally up for it. I spent the last year trying to cobble the original frame along after the previous owner chopped it up. It had a Chevy V6 conversion and the body was covered by a complete .14 GA. skin when I bought it but the old tub was in relatively good shape for seventy-years old. Just a few rust spots and miscellaneous holes throughout so I ditched the skin. I finally stripped everything down and decided the frame is just too bent and too far gone to redo spring mounts and other stuff and still end up with a fairly decent rig. I want this to last for a long time.

Here's what I hope to end up with:
1942 Willys MB body stretched 8" just in front of the MG mount
1971 Buick 225 V6, Dual Exhaust, Rochester 2bbl
SM420, 7.05:1, Novak Adapter
D18
1971 D44 w/Powertrax 3.73:1 limited slip rear axle
1971 D27 w/LockRight locker front, both with 11" drum brakes
31 x 11.50 15 Goodyear AT radials on 10" steel rims.
Steering is a Vega column and Saginaw steering box out of a Monte Carlo.
XJ Hanging pedals
92"+/- Wheelbase

In the future I plan on upgrading to 35" tires with 5.88 gears and a Warn overdrive. I love having your basically step-by-step narrative to go by. I have access to a welding and machine shop at work plus my own mini-shop at home. I'm not in a hurry, so I will be taking it slow.

Sounds like a solid plan. I can't wait to see a build thread! I like to see new ideas too :)

-11.5" wide tires on 10" wide rims might be a little bit of a headache.
-I would highly recommend disc brakes
-Plan on a small tube front driveline to help clear the reverse bulge on the SM420

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I've read most of this thread from the begining, pretty neat build and some innovative ideas.

I've been going to Moab for about 25 years more or less, sometimes 3 trips a year, also missed a few years at a time.

My question is, when is your next Moab trip planned?

I'd like to see this Jeep in action.

John

I will be at EJS this year Thurday thru Sunday. I don't run around with the official event, I just go to check out all the super neat stuff.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I guess it's time to start Rango 2.0

20130204_180328_zpsdf66abd2.jpg

20130204_184225_zps056f5ec7.jpg

I think the motor/transmission/transmission will be ready to come out tomorrow or the next day. Everything on the engine is disconnected except the fuel line. I still need to unbolt the exhaust and driveshafts. Then it should be ready to slide out......

Some notes...

Having the seats come out on simple frames was nice. 4-nuts per seat and they where out. The 'bolt' was welded to the seat frame. It only took about 5 minutes with an end wrench per seat. You could even pull them for camping if you really wanted. I think pulling the passenger seat for more storage space on long trips would be feasible. Maybe have a small rack that bolted in really quick?

The bolt in tunnel came out pretty easy. Honestly I don't really like it THAT much though. With the new transmission I am going to probably just make a new sheetmetal tunnel over the T18 and D18 that is welded into the original floor. I will probably make a small removeable panel over the front output if I can. I think I can squeak a little more room for my right foot also.

I do like the simplicity of a flat fender. It was pretty dang easy to pull the front clip off.

I need to add a mount for the fender braces. I tried to mark that before taking everything apart.

I need to finish up the rear edge fender extensions now that they are off the car. A little more welding. A little more prep, primer, and paint. I also need to add a few mounting holes to the fenders while they are off.

Having the grill, radiator, fan, and shroud was really nice. It just comes right off as one big unit.

Fun stuff, more tomorrow night....

bishopdunn

Observer
Sounds like a solid plan. I can't wait to see a build thread! I like to see new ideas too :)

-11.5" wide tires on 10" wide rims might be a little bit of a headache.
-I would highly recommend disc brakes
-Plan on a small tube front driveline to help clear the reverse bulge on the SM420

The thread in in the works. I've been looking for axles from a '70's Chevy D44 to convert to discs. Thanks for the tip on the driveline.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Getting closer....

20130205_181523_zps09dabaf8.jpg

It is almost ready to come out. Now I just need to see how close to balanced I can get it. I should probably pick up one of those tilty engine lift things, but that would take all the fun out of it....

mikeg1713

Adventurer
I will be at EJS this year Thurday thru Sunday. I don't run around with the official event, I just go to check out all the super neat stuff.

If you see the AEV booth or a group of AEV Jeeps while you're there stop by and say hi. It would be nice to see this thing in person.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
If you see the AEV booth or a group of AEV Jeeps while you're there stop by and say hi. It would be nice to see this thing in person.

Will do. I had it out in front of the AEV booth last year for a few hours. I grew up pretty close to Missoula and have known Dave H. pretty well for a number of years. He got a kick out of the willys last year, especially the 'highline' stuff :)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Keep an eye out. Are you bringing your flat fender? PM me for a phone number, I am always up for talking jeep over a frosty beverage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94