Rango.....1942 Willys MB

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Yeah, it's funny, sometime I basically forget that I have a super cool flat fender in the garage. I don't really have to go in there every day. Every time I do its like.....dang, there is a cool little Jeep in the garage!

I have a leak between my transmission and transfer case that is being a pretty big pain. I tried to fix it under the jeep, I think I slowed it down, but it still leaks and is VERY annoying. I think the homemade thin adapter may just not be sealing well. I really don't want to pull the engine, transmission, and t-case again....

I've been doing a little research into making a custom adapter for an NP435 transmission that would allow me to swap it in place of my SM420. The 435 is the closest in length to the 420 but doesn't have the bulge on the passenger side. This would allow me to run a normal 1310 front u-joint yoke perhaps. If the adapter was built correctly I could go to using a normal D18 input gear and and overdrive and/or 3.15 gears becomes possible. Just thinking....

If I bolted in an NP435 trasmission one of those 3.8 Ford v-6 engines becomes an interesting option, 60lb lighter than the Buick. Factory aluminum heads and aluminum 2bbl intake manifold on the older versions :)

I'm just going to keep tinkering on it right now. I have a nice set of Autometer gauges that needs to go in this weekend....stay tuned.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
50,000+ views....speak up people! If not I will resort to asking my own questions and answering them myself....

Fine. Awesome Jeep. What are you going to do with the holes in the dash?

___ Had I read a little slower I would have noticed you were getting ready to install Autometer gauges.
----- So, What gauges are you going to use and do you have an illustration or anything showing how they are going to be placed?

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have a nice set of Autometer gauges going back in the original holes......tach, oil pres, water temp, volts, and a vacuum gauge.

All the other holes, I just don't know. I should probably work on welding them up and drilling new holes for the switches I need where I really want to put them instead of using old holes. This thing has so many holes its hard to get motivated to try and fix them. That is a big can of worms. Next thing you know I might try and make it look all perfect without any patina.....

I meant the holes that looked like they used to hold gauges. haha. I would just make the dash easy to read/use and call it a day. I dig the way it looks now. Do you have any plans for a radio ?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The only plans for a radio are a CB of some kind some day. I just want something really small and out of the way. I have my tech license so my handi-talkie is never far away.....

That is kinda a funny questions though. This Willys MB was a radio version at some point. There is the PTO port on the floor, no back seat brackets, hole in the glove box for the speaker, etc....

bishopdunn

Observer
I really liked your template for the power steering mount. Do you have it available in a full scale file? I would love to use it to mount and mockup my PS conversion.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I tried making a PDF version of the mounting template I used from the Solidworks drawing. It didn't scale correctly however in the conversion. I will try and mess with it today a bit if I get a chance.

If you need one or two I can print them out and mail them to you if you drop me an address on a PM.

The butterfly version was on 11x17 paper and I have just a single mounting pattern on normal size paper. Let me know which one would work best and I can figure out a good way to mail them....maybe a tube or something.

mutt550

Observer
The little jeep is really looking good!! It's been a while since I was able to get on here. I'm in the process of getting the D60 regeared and put into my 47. D44 is done. Can't wait to drive it with the new gear ratio. I'll try to get some pic's of it during the change over.

Keep up the good work!!! Maybe someday I can drag it out your way and do some trails Willys style......

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thanks!

Willys style? Too cold, too hot, scared your going to break down at any minute, or roll over backwards....or forwards?

I too am looking forward to a bit lower gearing. The 4.30s are fine for getting some miles on it. I really think in the long term some 5.38s would probably be the way to go. It's not like I want to go 75 down the interstate. 5.38s would put me at about a 90:1 crawl ratio which should work out pretty well for 35s if I can get the Buick to chug along at 300rpm with its 50+lb flywheel.

lstzephyr

wanderer
50,000+ views....speak up people! If not I will resort to asking my own questions and answering them myself....

I think that would certainly be interesting. The inner dialogue of Metcalf...

I've been reading the whole time. My question is did you decide on a trip and where are you going to be going with it? Did you find anything about the TAT?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I think that would certainly be interesting. The inner dialogue of Metcalf...

I've been reading the whole time. My question is did you decide on a trip and where are you going to be going with it? Did you find anything about the TAT?

My inner dialogue would probably scare most people...

I haven't decided on a good trip yet. I just trying to get some more miles on it now, tuning stuff, and finishing off some of the small projects that I bypassed when I built it.

All in all I am pretty happy with it. There is still a lot left to do. It will probably never be done, but at least I can drive it around now!

As far as a grand flat fender trip. If I could get the time off work I would like to try and do an all dirt border to border trip from Mexico to Canada in the summer. I think that would make for a pretty dang good adventure in a 70+ year old vehicle. I don't know if I can say that now that I rebuilt it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles