Rango.....1942 Willys MB

wjeeper

Man looks schweet with some tires and sitting on its own weight! :Wow1: The worn and vintage body, low slung body and tires really reminds me of Soni Honeggers flatty. I remember drooling over it in the 4x4 mags......quite possibly my favorite Jeep of all times. I can say that your rig keeps climbing up that short list the more you finish!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The tires are 35x13.5x15's. They are the Krawlers, not the KM2's. I bought the set of 4 used locally. They where abou 80-90 percent tread already mounted and balanced on beadlock rims that where the proper bolt pattern. I saved a BUNCH of money rather than buying new.....

Soni's Willys is one of my all time favorites. I still have the original article from 4 Wheel and Sport Utility!

100_0442.jpg

100_0443.jpg

That thing is still running around too!

Mine is going to be a lot rougher around the edges, and that was kinda the point.

67390FE

This thread is my first stop each day. My little brain really likes seeing all the pics, it makes me want to work on mine (no barn means waiting for the michigan "fun" season to be melted away for more than 2 days in a row). Nice Job!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys. It is looking pretty sweet! It does look kinda like a hot wheels or comic book creation!

I asked on pirate also. Does anyone in the Durango, Co area have a tubing bender and 1.5" die I can come use for an evening. I need to make 4 bends for the cage! I have been building my own bender but am getting short on time.

Its kinda deceptive in the pictures, the entire vehicle is still only about 5'6" to the top of the windshield! Its pretty dang close to the ground! With weight on the tires and/or aired down its going to be even lower. Its kinda like a big go-cart on steroids......perfect.......

The project has been very fun, but I have to admit I am feeling a bit burnt out. I will be making a mad thrash for Feb and March to get it ready for Easter Jeep Safari.....

wjeeper

Wish you were closer and were doing a cage from 1.75 tubing, I have a bender you would be more than welcome to use......

I hope I can get work off for EJS and maybe get a peek at your rig! I just put a deposit down on a new body kit to get my body coming from overseas..........its a bad influence ;)

Last edited:

Sean VHA #60013

Adventurer
The project has been very fun, but I have to admit I am feeling a bit burnt out. I will be making a mad thrash for Feb and March to get it ready for Easter Jeep Safari.....

Keep up the excellent work man! This build of yours has been not only entertaining and educational, but inspirational as well for my own projects, which though quite different, share the need for enthusiasm, passion, & energy to move forward. Keep it up!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm planning for the final push in Febuary and March. I have to dump a decent amount of money into the last groups of parts. The cage is still a question mark at this point. It will probably be last at this point.....

I can't wait to get it out on the trail! There will probably be another round of mods ( axle gearing and lockers ) this summer, but overall I think its going to be pretty dang fun! It's so small and short its almost comical with the big fat tires!

Its something different and unique....I used what I had as much as possible, even though it wasn't 'ideal' really. I also used a LOT of used parts to keep the overall cost down. Tires/wheels where used along with the winch, front axle, etc.

Fun Fun.
Things will start to really ramp up in the next week or two!

mutt550

Observer
Looking good!!

Keep up the great work!! It's looking good! I should be starting the regear on my 47 in the next few weeks. The D60 is on the way, now to narrow it down and get both fornt and rear regeared. What springs are you using? I was thinking about switching over to Wrangler springs while things are torn apart. Or I may just run the one's that in it for now and focus on some other issues.

I Love the Durango area!!!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I am running 1" lift Superlift REAR springs for an early flat fender on all 4 corners. It is still SUA all around. I think the springs have given me more like 2-3" over my old original military springs. The new springs have a full miltary wrapped 2nd leaf and 3 leaf clamps per spring. I hope this will make for a cheap and somewhat durable suspension. The springs where only $84 each delivered.

The rear springs are much longer than the factory front springs. This should give me a bit more even articulation from to back. I'm not looking for feet of travel. If I can eat up a 10" travel shock that will be more than enough for me.

I am hopping the springs settle a bit though.....even with short 4" center to center shackles its going to sit a bit higher than in has to. I would imagine the springs will settle about 1+"

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm trying to get back in the groove.....

So I cut off some more sheet metal!

100_0769.jpg

I cut out the rear wheel opening to a larger size. Its a 36" dia cut. I still have some clean up to do but the basic cut is in! I will be welding in a 3/16" round rod to the edge like I did the hood.

100_0771.jpg

And a pic of the side that was requested, I will try and get a better one.

100_0768.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior