Rango.....1942 Willys MB

mikeg1713

Adventurer
I'm back from the EJS weekend!

I had fun, I probably put about 50 miles on the Willys over the weekend running around looking at all the cool stuff...

I took a ton of pics at EJS but only just one or two of the my Willys. There was too much other cool stuff to look at!

And you haven't posted pics why? Lol !! That's awesome!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'll start another thread for the EJS pics.....

I only had two lame pictures of my Willys at EJS. I got about 160 pics of other neater stuff.

bishopdunn

Observer
Thanks. I'm lengthening my MB 8" CJ6 style but will probably utilize an 18ga. back piece on the undercarriage and inside the sides. I'm also adding additional bracing across the extension.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I would recommend getting LOTS of these little clamps....very very handy!

100_0459.jpg

Edit: link....

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-butt-welding-clamps-44751.html

bishopdunn

Observer
I saw them in one of your earlier posts. Brilliant! I picked up a bunch hand have already tried them on the floor pan. I will be borrowing several more of your tricks as the build progresses. Thanks for the thread.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I don't think mine will pull the front end off the ground like that.....I'm gonna need more motor....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Update....

P1010068.jpg

Picture for scale. You can also see the windshield is now attached. I need to make some rubber bumpers on the top to set the angle relative to the A-pillar since the windshield isn't exactly straight after 70 years.

P1010069.jpg

I had a small disagreement with the rear output seal on the transfer case. I won! Then I cleaned everything up and added a new Timken seal. I think this has cured the leak at the rear yoke....

P1010072.jpg

P1010071.jpg

Then I rigged up a ramp with some 2x10's and tried to get the suspension to twist up a bit. It worked. For new springs I don't think its that bad. I have a few areas that need some attention....

P1010074.jpg

I'm eating up most of the front shock travel. They are just a hair over 9" of travel units. No contact anywhere which is good. I think I need to add a small limiting strap or cable or something for droop. As the springs get worn in I suspect I will see a little bit more travel.

P1010077.jpg

Max compression on the front right now. I need to add bumpstops all around to prevent spring and shock damage. For new springs I am pretty happy with the results....especially cheap $84 each springs.

P1010080.jpg

The tie_rod passes the pitman arm on compression. I need a pitman arm with slightly less drop ( basically flat ) and slightly longer to gain a little steering knuckle travel I lost with the new steering box.

P1010083.jpg

In the rear I need to trim here or move the axle forward about 1/2". I will be trimming. I also need to weld in some round rod onto the edge since the tire gets that close.

P1010085.jpg

I will be installing a 1" longer rear shackle to get the spring away from the bumper. The rear shocks use just about all there compression travel. I have about 1/2" left. The rear axle needs bumpstops too. And limiting straps or something.

Overall for no frame flex at all as far as I could tell, it flexes pretty decent for a little pile of junk and cheap leaf springs still spring under.

I just about threw the holley 2bbl across the yard yesterday. I am going to rebuild the motorcraft/autolite I picked up and stick that on. If that doesn't work I might be able to be talked into TBI or something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online