Rango.....1942 Willys MB

njtacoma

Explorer
sooooooo.

I'm not impatient, or anything, but ya know its been over 24 hours since we had an update.

Did I mention I like this build?

I am enjoying living vicariously through you. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Sorry, not an update again :) I will hopefully have something tonight. I had a few days of work related testing get in the way.....:sombrero:

I did get 3 of my leaf springs, my xj pedals, a hood hinge, and my headlight bracket in the mail over the last few days....

More to come soon.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Just a small update, but an update.....

100_0458.jpg

Hopefully someone bought some stock in masking tape! I do like this stuff. It works VERY well for making patterns like this.

100_0459.jpg

Cut out the masking tape to make a pattern that will stick to the sheetmetal. Its VERY nice to be able to just cut out the pattern exactly. The time to trim up these panels is very minimal. I folded an edge on one side just like the stock piece would have had. I still love these little clamps. They are VERY handy for holding in pieces like this....

100_0460.jpg

Then you just tack weld it in....

Now you repeat for the other panel on the front of the tub.....

100_0462.jpg

100_0463.jpg

Then I got hungry so I came in and got some dinner...

More tomorrow. I hope to wrap the sheetmetal up this weekend....I hope!

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Your making me chuckle with those lil clamps... I bought a bag of those from HF since I thought they were a neat idea. Then I couldn't figure out how they worked..LOL! Thanks for showing me! :)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Your making me chuckle with those lil clamps... I bought a bag of those from HF since I thought they were a neat idea. Then I couldn't figure out how they worked..LOL! Thanks for showing me! :)

Those little clamps are GREAT for holding things in place! I would have LOVED to have a few dozen when I did my Dodge fenders. That would have made it SOOOOO much easier!

reece146

Automotive Artist
Yeah, I gotta get me some of those.

I used clecos in the past (~15 years ago) but they were expensive at that time ($5 each iirc) so I never really had enough of them to make good use of them. I wonder what I did with those... must have given them away or something because I don't remember seeing them for a long time.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Ok.....I am getting a little sick of sheet metal mods...who's idea was this again??!?!?!?!

100_0464.jpg

I got another patch panel tacked in....this one turned out pretty decent.

100_0466.jpg

I used some aluminum stock to help space the wheel tub in the proper place as I pulled it into place tight with a clamp. This jeep isn't perfectly straight and neither are the mods to all the metal, but they are close enough for me and this old thing.

100_0468.jpg

I welded in the tops of the relocated tubs, welded up some holes I didn't need, and used a flap disc to take everything close to flat again....

100_0471.jpg

The inside of the tool box is now a triangle shape without a flat bottom like before. They are still going to have a decent amount of room for a bit of gear. I am glad I decided to keep them....

100_0479.jpg

I also welded up most of the seams on all the panels and tool them down a little bit. I am probably going to leave then a little rough and proud looking so that people will be able to tell what I did if they are looking. I will eventually spray everything in primer and lots of olive drab paint.

I still have a bit more work to do on this tub, but its structural now. I need to add the small patch panel at the back and tack down the rear edge on the 'tailgate' brace.

That leaves me the other side to do still. I'm not complaining really, but I am ready for these major sheet metal modifications to be 'done' for the most part. The rear tubs are VERY time consuming. If I was going to do it again I would give serious thought to just ordering an Aqualu aluminum flat fender tub with most of the body modifications I wanted already done! Its going to be original and pretty cool when its done, but dang, why do I think up these crazy ideas again......

lstzephyr

wanderer
I wasn't aware aqualu made so many different types of bodies. That is really cool.

Project is looking great too! Have you thought about gas welding those panels instead of that mig? It might make it easier, less violent(splatter and whatnot), more enjoyable, and less grinding. I used to think of tig/gas welding as more of a zen quiet thing to mig welding's violence.

One thing I have been wondering, are you planning on cutting the outside wheelwell or just having the tire up inside the sheetmetal?

I found out that Mahindra(india) still makes the CJ3b, some with diesels too! All under license, and just like the royal enfields they just never bothered to change anything. Kinda cool.

MadHildaFront.jpg

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I would love toTIG the panel but my gaps are not that good.....and....I don't have a tig or gas welding rig. The mig works out ok.....

The outside rear wheel opening will be getting enlarged significantly for the larger tires. I'm not going to comp cut it, but it will be a LOT larger opening for the planned 36" tires.

That 3b clone is really cool. Diesel too...MMMMMMmmmmm. Someday I would like to do a 3b with a 3a short hood. Slide the fenders up the cowl like i did and push the nose forward a bit also. Then run the shorter non-3b grill ( it would just bolt right into the fenders with no mods ). The front frame could be kicked up a lot more for more compression travel. So many flat fender ideas....so little time...

I wasn't aware aqualu made so many different types of bodies. That is really cool.

Project is looking great too! Have you thought about gas welding those panels instead of that mig? It might make it easier, less violent(splatter and whatnot), more enjoyable, and less grinding. I used to think of tig/gas welding as more of a zen quiet thing to mig welding's violence.

One thing I have been wondering, are you planning on cutting the outside wheelwell or just having the tire up inside the sheetmetal?

I found out that Mahindra(india) still makes the CJ3b, some with diesels too! All under license, and just like the royal enfields they just never bothered to change anything. Kinda cool.

lowenbrau

Explorer
I had the pleasure of driving a Mitsubishi version of the CJ3B for one summer and just loved it. It was a JDM model from 1976 and the 2.7l diesel had plenty of power and got great mileage. It felt like cheating on my Toyotas

misc_063.sized.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
That makes me want a little trailer! MMMMMmmmm

No real update, I have just been working on the other rear tub. Its the same as the first and just as time consuming....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior