Ranger Raptor testing in Flagstaff

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Could be. I have read that they believe pricing would be too close to the F150 raptor and they could cannibalize each other sales. Would be a great competitor to the ZR2 and TRD Pro though. Who knows. Just wait and see. Just figured I'd share the update I saw.

GB_Willys_2014

Could be. I have read that they believe pricing would be too close to the F150 raptor and they could cannibalize each other sales. Would be a great competitor to the ZR2 and TRD Pro though. Who knows. Just wait and see. Just figured I'd share the update I saw.
I think this is exactly the issue. The midsize Raptor will cannibalize the full-size sales.

IMHO, this is just another example of the irrationality of midsize pricing industry wide.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
When I built a Ranger on Ford's site then built an F-150 to compare, the Ranger came out about $9,000 cheaper. That's still a pretty decent amount.

However, if there's huge rebates on the F150... (like there is every year) that gap would shrink quite a bit. Because I'm thinking it'll be doubtful we'll decent rebates on the Ranger for quite a while.

ultraclyde

Observer
I spent some time building and pricing on the two models as well. It's hard to get a really comparable spec between the two because options packages are so different and there are so many more options available on the F150. I kept coming back to about $5k more for the 150 witht he spec matching as close as possible feature by feature. That's enough to make a difference, but because it's smaller than the discounts that you often see on the 150s, things get weird fast. I suspect it will take about a year before you see any money on the hood of a Ranger just because it's new and will be fairly hot. Now, does that mean they won't be as quick to discount a 150 $10k? could be. They suddenly have decent reasons to decrease the $/off on the full size, thereby making a little more. Can't afford the F150 with only $5k off? well, here, let me show you this Ranger at $1000 off. You end up buying a Ranger for the same thing you could have bought the 150 for currently, but it eliminates the price overlap issue AND makes them more money.

Having said all that, a well-outfitted Ranger 4dr FX4 with a towing package MSRPs for $35k. By the end of next year if you can give it to me for $30k I would be seriously considering it, depending on what the Bronco comes out looking like and costing.

As for the Ranger Raptor, I do think the FoMoCo person was talking about the diesel, which is fine. I would love to see the US Ranger Raptor slimmed up a little and running the 2.7L V6 Ecoboost. I don't know if the chassis will have the width to hold the V6 though. I do know the 2.3 can be built to make a LOT of power, but the tighter you tune it, the more it worries me.

TwinStick

Explorer
Price of ALL trucks, mid sized & full sized is out of control. You can build a 1 ton CC for $93,000+ & mid sized for $50,000. $73,000 for a new loaded up Ultra Platinum 1/2 ton.

Technology & liability has become a double edged sword.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
My CC truck was $38 000. If built online I think it's $44 000. You have to be really smart with options, and consider cost's of building lower models. Are you building a truck for camping, or are you building a truck replacement for a BMW M5?

The good deals are on the lots. A lightly spec'd XL was more online than loaded XL's at the lots.

GB_Willys_2014

The FX4 package looks to be pretty nice, and is probably overkill for most needs.

Shame Ford doesn't offer a manual transmission option.

GB_Willys_2014

Not at all. I use my elocker every weekend. Skid plates aren't AR500 or anything, but are enough for what I do.
Something tells me your usage style is way to the right of the bell curve. :)

But basically the point is the same: FX4 package is a good alternative to the Raptor package.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think this is exactly the issue. The midsize Raptor will cannibalize the full-size sales.

Not sure why that would be a problem, if you're taking sales away from the other manufactures. Does it matter if they sell a few less F150's when the consumer buys a Ranger over a Tacoma or GM twins? Keeping it in the family would be a good thing to me.

The mid-size buyer is different than the fullsize buyer. They are convinced that the mid-sizes are better wheelers, in town run-a-bouts, and commuters...they aren't really but they think they are.

yfarm

Observer
Disagree own a '11 Raptor and '10 taco reg cab manual. Night and day difference in parking and driving in tight congested areas. Taco does everything I need it to just less comfortable for long highway trips and far less towing capacity.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I wiggle a DRW through tight congested areas all the time. If I fit, I fit. I only need a couple inches. The rest is driver skill. The only time I consider a midsize better, is if it's impossible to fit a midsize there.

As far as actually parking, I have no interest in parkingany of my personal vehicles, even my little jeep in a congested area. I'll just walk in if it's a small country down town. Or park remotely and bus in if it's a big city, or park in a know big lot, and walk or bus around. No big deal.

I draw the line at long trailers in tight congested areas. I like being able to make right hand turns.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Price of ALL trucks, mid sized & full sized is out of control. You can build a 1 ton CC for $93,000+ & mid sized for $50,000. $73,000 for a new loaded up Ultra Platinum 1/2 ton.

Technology & liability has become a double edged sword.

You can still build and buy 1 ton's for $50k, sometimes less.

Those $93k 1 ton's aren't actually worth $93k IMO; they're basically $50k trucks with $43k worth of features added. The poor SOB who buys that truck is going see a lot value lost during the first few years of ownership.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz