Range Rover Supercharged

frq flyr

Observer
hi All,
we are headed to Death Valley for an off road adventure: Titus, Hunter, RaceTrack. These are all graded roads, but with many miles of rutts!
The RR has Cross Contact LX Sport (Continental) tires: 275/40

What tire pressure would you recommend we should air down to when on these trails?

Thanks,
Joe

David_h

If my memory serves me, some of those roads have sharp rocks. A 40-aspect tires give very little protection from sharp rocks; with such a tire, I would not air down at all. I would plan on getting multiple flats and be prepares to fix them on trail. Tire plugs and cement. Slim and compressor. On the road to racetrack I’ve seen multiple abandoned vehicles presumably because of multiple flats. Going slow will help a lot.

spot

Yes on multiple flats. Be prepared. Carry an extra spare and plug kit as suggested. Have also seen new vehicles abandoned with 3 flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RR876

I agree with the previous post. Given you have 40 series tyres, I am guessing they may be 22” wheels but otherwise 20”. Either way, you will not have much scope to air down from the normal air pressure without risk of damaging your wheels and popping a tyre or two.

I did some of the trails you mention in Death Valley in my 07 RRSC with 285/50R20. I normally run about 50 psi but air down to 35 psi on trails. I have run 25 psi before but could feel the rocks hitting the rims on many occasions and sustained significant wheel rim damage.

Consider getting some smaller rims and higher profile tires if you want to do this on a regular basis.

frq flyr

Observer
Thanks for your feedback!
we just returned from DV, and completed Titus, Hunter Mountain to teakettle, to Ubehebe.
not enough sunlight for racetrack.

did not Air down, and completed with no issues.

David_h

Thanks for your feedback!
we just returned from DV, and completed Titus, Hunter Mountain to teakettle, to Ubehebe.
not enough sunlight for racetrack.

did not Air down, and completed with no issues.
That is good to hear. I always wondered how my 2011 RRS would do on those trails with 275/45/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ. I was just down there in March however we take the Superduty with camper; and the tires are Toyo Open Country MT 285/75/17; very sturdy tires.

Hamiamham

I have an 2008 SC; the full sized suv not the sport to be clear. It came with 20” wheels and I am being told I can’t go down in size given the size of the Brembos on my rig. I am running 250/55R20 tires but I would really like to run a higher profile tire so I can air down on the sand.

Not to hijack this thread shut any thoughts...

RR876

You can run 19s if you want to bother with another set of wheels.

In fact, there’s a well priced set for sale at the moment in the Sacramento area that were previously used in an 07 RRSC. They are advertised on the NorCal Rover club forum. Let me know if you are close by and interested.

Hamiamham

Sadly I live on a small island off the coast of Massachusetts so I’m not sure shipping them. Ross country is on the cards for me

howirolla

Campfire Passport
I have an 2008 SC; the full sized suv not the sport to be clear. It came with 20” wheels and I am being told I can’t go down in size given the size of the Brembos on my rig. I am running 250/55R20 tires but I would really like to run a higher profile tire so I can air down on the sand.

Not to hijack this thread shut any thoughts...

You can run 19s if you want to bother with another set of wheels.

In fact, there’s a well priced set for sale at the moment in the Sacramento area that were previously used in an 07 RRSC. They are advertised on the NorCal Rover club forum. Let me know if you are close by and interested.

You can run 18s if you get the right ones and get the tires mounted by someone that will actually listen to what you have to say cause the wheel weight placement is EVERYTHING.
BC51CEEF-A64E-4F4C-A2BA-5115DC60F36B.jpeg

Dogpilot

Well I have the full sized Range Rover Supercharged. If you have the Bembo brakes, you need the 20" rims for clearance. I am a geologist, I spend a great deal of time off road. A long time ago I bought a set of 4 spare 20" rims on eBay. Been through 2 rims already, one from ice the other from sharp volcanic glass skirting a cinder cone. I am looking forward to eventually getting the Defender, when you can actually order one for reasonable delivery. They can be speced with steel wheels.

Doing the giant dunes in Qatar, had one there as well. Didn't air down, does just fine. I don't air down in any of the places I tend to go. I did 6 months of field work just to the north of Death Valley, Poleta Folds. 40 miles off road every day in the sharp eroded limestone fields. Never aired down, no flats. Just don't drive aggressively, drive carefully. Don't go to fast the sidewalls will heat up, even more so in the summer. The low profile tires are not meant to be aired down. I run Nokian tires, softer compound. I use both the Rotivia's and the Hakkapalitas, work well summer and winter, snow or sand.
DSC_0635.jpg

Hamiamham

While I respect all the knowledge and experience on this board, I will say that my L322 SC would not make it 5 feet on some of our beaches before getting bogged if I do not air down. One place actually requires you to air down to between 12psi and 15psi so you don’t get stuck and block other vehicles.

soflorovers

Well I have the full sized Range Rover Supercharged. If you have the Bembo brakes, you need the 20" rims for clearance. I am a geologist, I spend a great deal of time off road. A long time ago I bought a set of 4 spare 20" rims on eBay. Been through 2 rims already, one from ice the other from sharp volcanic glass skirting a cinder cone. I am looking forward to eventually getting the Defender, when you can actually order one for reasonable delivery. They can be speced with steel wheels.

Doing the giant dunes in Qatar, had one there as well. Didn't air down, does just fine. I don't air down in any of the places I tend to go. I did 6 months of field work just to the north of Death Valley, Poleta Folds. 40 miles off road every day in the sharp eroded limestone fields. Never aired down, no flats. Just don't drive aggressively, drive carefully. Don't go to fast the sidewalls will heat up, even more so in the summer. The low profile tires are not meant to be aired down. I run Nokian tires, softer compound. I use both the Rotivia's and the Hakkapalitas, work well summer and winter, snow or sand.
View attachment 659634
Respectfully, you're wrong. @howirolla and others have beat this subject to death. An 18" will fit as long as you don't place wheel weights somewhere they'll make contact with the caliper. See build thread below and his comment above...

Dogpilot

That is excellent info, However the sticky weights used, which have inner and out positions on those sized rims mean little or no clearance in the rims. If you happen to be in a small pea sized or less gravel (think washes), you can have the accumulation on the inside of your rims damage the calipers. The rims are silly cheap on ebay or craigslist. The rims are far cheaper than the Bembos and rather easier to swap in the field than the caliper, which I never tend to carry spares of. In my continuing rant on Land Cruisers, on one of the new turbo diesel models I had on project in Borneo, I had the first vehicle throw a caliper, ever. Only vehicle I ever had or heard that happening to. So they can be subject of a rather stranding failure. Of course the roads (a noun in reference to those roads I use with reservation) in Borneo are horrible and it is not a good idea to traverse an area solo. They make most roads in Africa look like Autobahns.

caliper.jpg

howirolla

Campfire Passport
That is excellent info, However the sticky weights used, which have inner and out positions on those sized rims mean little or no clearance in the rims. If you happen to be in a small pea sized or less gravel (think washes), you can have the accumulation on the inside of your rims damage the calipers. The rims are silly cheap on ebay or craigslist. The rims are far cheaper than the Bembos and rather easier to swap in the field than the caliper, which I never tend to carry spares of. In my continuing rant on Land Cruisers, on one of the new turbo diesel models I had on project in Borneo, I had the first vehicle throw a caliper, ever. Only vehicle I ever had or heard that happening to. So they can be subject of a rather stranding failure. Of course the roads (a noun in reference to those roads I use with reservation) in Borneo are horrible and it is not a good idea to traverse an area solo. They make most roads in Africa look like Autobahns.

View attachment 660112
Say what you want, but I’ve been running mine for a few years now and haven’t had that issue come up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles