Range Rover P38 diesel conversion

R-Overland

Adventurer
Hey guys my name is Mike and own a Range Rover P38 ,a good friend and mentor (redrover) on this forum has done a 6.2L diesel conversion on his classic.
This thread is about the same conversion done to my 4.6L P38...

PB280466.jpg

infamous 6.2L diesel engine
PB280468.jpg

PC170009.jpg

PC170002.jpg

Last edited:

R-Overland

Adventurer
here is the flywheel with the plate of the P38 welded on to accommodate the P38 torque converter...
PC130017.jpg

My version of Redrovers awesome adaptor plate
PC130016.jpg

The torque converted of the 4.6L Is larger than the 3.9L torque converter, so you will need a larger adaptor plate between the 4L60E bell housing and engine
PC140004.jpg

R-Overland

Adventurer
PC160007.jpg

I made a spacer to be able to see what is going on between torque converter and flex plate and the little spacer disk...

ArmyRover

Adventurer
I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out. Dealing with the BECM seems like it will be the most interesting part.

R-Overland

Adventurer
PC190011.jpg

engine mated to the new bell housing and transmission... ready to go in

I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out. Dealing with the BECM seems like it will be the most interesting part.
ArmyRover... for now I leave the engine ECU where it is and see what happens when I fire up the engine... if worst comes to worst the transmission will go into
'trans-fail mode' and then I'll have plan B and plan C to go with...

PC190012.jpg

PC190015.jpg

PC190016.jpg

PC190005.jpg

Last edited:

REDROVER

Explorer
plan B and plan C is being tested right now :)

looks very good. dont tell me its impossible when we have foot prints on the moon

R-Overland

Adventurer
what u mean there is no smog system? then why they sale cars and trucks as 50 state legal ?

if you spot a smoking vehicle on the highway, your only recourse is to hold your breath―currently there is no program in Florida for reporting gross emissions polluters.

REDROVER

Explorer
i love southern California :) we have few mil, cars and yet very clean air , and its getting even cleaner , if cops see a smoking car, they pull over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles