Range Rover Classic - Educate Me

pint

Adventurer
If you have a Land Cruiser and are a "Toyota Guy" why change now?

Just really thinking out loud. May stick with Toyota, but sometimes change is nice. Maybe a Rover, older Suburban, Jeep Grand Wagoneer, or maybe stick with Toyota and go with an FJ60? Time will tell. Just doing research for now.

muskyman

Explorer
I cant help but wonder why people are so convinced that the coiler land rovers are so unreliable?

I own a 95RRC and a 94 disco and neither one has ever left me stranded.

the 94 disco was my wifes daily driver for 5 years and its lived a life of wheeling trips and camping trips since that.

We got rid of a DII to get rid of all the quirks they have and went backwards year wise into the 95RRC as a daily driver and after a fast resoration it has been flawless.

If someone is a toyota guy as in they never open the hood and expect the truck to keep running forever then yes they are not a rover person, but if you know how to do good PM and keep a eye on known issues these trucks are more relaible then most that will accomplish the same tasks.

My trucks live a life of being used for what they were designed for and I would not trade them for anything.

Oh yeah my 94 disco drives circles around a couple land cruisers I wheel with all the time. But if you are confortable being big fat and slow by all means get a land cruiser:victory:

AndrewP

Explorer
This link cracked me up and I sent it to a Rover friend of mine in New Mexico and it cracked him up as well. It sort of fits the theme of the last few posts. Sorry if it's a repost.

http://www.amug.org/~jthomas/for.html

I've ridden in only one of these and thought it was pretty nice. The reputation would worry me though, if I were coming from the Toyota world, where even there, in hard use, things still break.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Musky,
Its the stupid things like stuck in park because a brake light bulb is burned out, leaky steering boxes or swivel balls, blown ignition amplifiers, seat switches that dont work, door locks that have a mind of their own, upper tailgate (or cargo door) that wont open, oil or transmission cooler lines that burst, idle air bypass that clogs up and wont let the truck idle, to name a few.

-Jeff

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
The newest RRC is now 14 years old, they are bound to have some issues. Most have newer solutions to improve the situation and I think that's what the OP is trying to find out.
They are what they are, take it or leave it. All you can do in threads like this is present the facts as best you can and let the OP make up their own mind. Doesn't bother me one bit if someone doesn't want to purchase or drive a newer Rover.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I love my RRC, 220,000 on the clock and it still does great. I do the same maint. on this as all may cars. I recomend one to those that enjoy getting out. We actually bought the Discovery because of how great the RRC has held up. That being said Toyotas are also great rigs! I looked at an FJ-62 when I bought my RRC.

pint

Adventurer
I cant help but wonder why people are so convinced that the coiler land rovers are so unreliable?

I own a 95RRC and a 94 disco and neither one has ever left me stranded.

the 94 disco was my wifes daily driver for 5 years and its lived a life of wheeling trips and camping trips since that.

We got rid of a DII to get rid of all the quirks they have and went backwards year wise into the 95RRC as a daily driver and after a fast resoration it has been flawless.

If someone is a toyota guy as in they never open the hood and expect the truck to keep running forever then yes they are not a rover person, but if you know how to do good PM and keep a eye on known issues these trucks are more relaible then most that will accomplish the same tasks.

My trucks live a life of being used for what they were designed for and I would not trade them for anything.

Oh yeah my 94 disco drives circles around a couple land cruisers I wheel with all the time. But if you are confortable being big fat and slow by all means get a land cruiser:victory:

This is what I was hoping to hear, just don't want to kid myself. My 2000 Landcruiser has 142K and has been basically trouble free. Yeah, I had to replace both exhaust manifolds due to cracks, warped front rotors and an ABS sensor died. Never left me stranded, but I do ALL required maintenance and then some...30-60-90K-120K per the book, etc, Mobil 1 everywhere, rotate tires, check fluids and tinker with it every weekend messing with this and that, etc. If I was like my dad, I would change the oil every 3K and call it "serviced!" Just like buying an older Landcruiser, I fully expect it to be neglected and need a bunch of PM stuff, etc. I just don't want to be forced to work on it 15 hours per week to keep it alive! I enjoy learning and tinkering under the hood...

Last edited:

revor

Explorer
My 197 D1 which has been abused, neglected, tormeneted, modified, then unmodified, and modified again has been a very reliable truck.
I can say the same for the '95 RRC although it was pampered by comparison.
My only issues have been steering boxes and power seat motors.

muskyman

Explorer
I enjoy learning and tinkering under the hood...

Then you will do well with a rover!

come over and join us on discoweb.org it is by far the best place on the net for coiler land rover information.

be picky when selecting your truck and keep in mind that the only thing that is tough to fix is RUST. Everything else is really pretty easy stuff to deal with as long as you are willing take a little time to understand the system.

Once you have the truck make a list of all the things you want to do with it and the mods it will need. Then start making a daily 10 min look through the for sale sections on discoweb and pirate and you will find the aftermarket parts you want for dirt cheap compared to new. Things like rovertym rear trailing arms just dont go bad and used is every bit as good as new. Once set up as you like it you will just be happy as can be with a fun to drive nimble off roader that will also do the street duty with style.

I hope to see you in a rover soon!!

Thom

pint

Adventurer
One more thing, is there a particular year or years that are more reliable? I'm not stuck on the 1995, just need the LWB model for bodies and stuff!

muskyman

Explorer
One more thing, is there a particular year or years that are more reliable? I'm not stuck on the 1995, just need the LWB model for bodies and stuff!

I think you are right on with the 95 if you can find one. The "disco dash" range rovers have a number of advantages.

The biggest one is under the hood. There was a parts break between 94 and 95 where the sensors used on the motors changed. for example the 94's used a round plug TPS that costs almost $200 where as the 95 uses the later square plug TPS that is the same as every disco1 up through 99 and costs under $100 and can be had used form a buncha sources for about $20. Working used round plug TPS these days are really impossible to be found.

sven

Adventurer
If its LWB you're after, the years are 93-95. Like Musky said, the 95 is more "D1-ish" when it comes to the wiring harness, sensors, tranny cooler lines, oil cooler lines, PS lines, etc. 95 also has the serp belt setup which is way better than the 3 V-belt stuff. Id say find a 95 if you can, but not be scared of a really clean 93/94 either.

KMW

The most frustrating thing for me has been poor quality aftermarket parts:

Water pumps that fail in six months.

Distributor caps that lead to phantom misfires (on one I determined that the area holding the carbon rod was too long and actually contacting the rotor, causing the mechanical advance to stick)

Brake pistons that were too small :Wow1:

Again, this has been with aftermarket bits. Rover original parts haven't been a problem (other than price $$$ and availability), but as has been noted that's become a single source/limited supply issue. It reminds me of the situation that frustrated me years ago with my MG (talk about being born to tinker) -- you'd have an original 20 year old part finally fail, buy what was available only to have that fail in a few months.

With regards to the belt/sensor comments, if one is up for enough tinkering then injection system, engine front area or even full engine swaps are no big deal on these trucks. My '87 is a mix and match of various years parts, though I haven't gone serpentine on it yet.

Snagger

Explorer
The most frustrating thing for me has been poor quality aftermarket parts:

Water pumps that fail in six months.

Distributor caps that lead to phantom misfires (on one I determined that the area holding the carbon rod was too long and actually contacting the rotor, causing the mechanical advance to stick)

Brake pistons that were too small :Wow1:

Again, this has been with aftermarket bits. Rover original parts haven't been a problem (other than price $$$ and availability), but as has been noted that's become a single source/limited supply issue. It reminds me of the situation that frustrated me years ago with my MG (talk about being born to tinker) -- you'd have an original 20 year old part finally fail, buy what was available only to have that fail in a few months.

With regards to the belt/sensor comments, if one is up for enough tinkering then injection system, engine front area or even full engine swaps are no big deal on these trucks. My '87 is a mix and match of various years parts, though I haven't gone serpentine on it yet.
Let me guess: Britpart.:rolleyes: They are constant source of annoyance on the east side of the Atlantic. Some of their parts are fine, but many seem to be Chinese or Indian knock-offs.

One4adventure

It's been said before but I agree you either love them or you hate them, I loved my D1 and have friends who love their RRC's and I have friends who swear at both as well.
I now drive a P38 who's reputation if awful, but its been great and I would take it anywhere without hesitation.

Having said that, I gotta love my series truck with three fuses and dead simple construction.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior