Range on gas engines and extending? F-350/Ram 3500

blupaddler

Conspirator
Hello.

I've been researching upgrading from my current '03 Dodge QCLB to a newer (2010-2015) full size Ram 3500 or F350. Basically the early Dodge crew cabs just don't have enough leg room in the back for our two kids (6 & 8 plus dog) on trips longer than 4 hours. The kids are troopers and do well, but they start stretching their legs into our seat backs. Our current set-up is the truck above with a slide in Northstar TC800XB pop camper.

We travel frequently in Baja, especially central Baja where gas can be scarce. I don't want to stress about running out of fuel, and I dislike carrying fuel cans on the back of the truck. I have been looking at gas bc it's more prevalent at gas stations, quieter, don't need a specialized mechanic. However, I keep going back to diesel for one reason... RANGE.

With 35 gallon gas tank and slide in pop camper I'm guessing gas mpg will be in the 8-11 range. Possibly less. Which yields a range of roughly 300 miles give or take depending on driving style, and the roads you're traveling. And I would like to be closer to 400-500.

So, question for those of you with gas full-size rigs. What kind of range you're getting? It seems most manufacturers only offer a 35(ish) gallon tank for the domestic full size gas engines. If you go brand new and chassis order you might be able to go larger... But my budget currently doesn't allow for a brand new $50k truck.

Has anyone installed a larger replacement tank in their gas truck? It's an option for most diesels, but doesn't seem to be available for gas.

Thanks!

Picture of current truck for reference...

IMG_4635.jpeg

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I just placed an order for a new 2021 RAM 3500 with the 6.4L gas engine and did so for a few very critical reasons: it's gasoline which can be found anywhere unlike ULSD and most importantly, any mechanic can work on it. The engine is naturally aspirated with a throttle body on top and uses sequential multi port fuel injection - it's simple and quite a mature technology. You can work on it with basic hand tools on the side of the road.

Good looking rig/camper!

The Ram with the 6.4 is a great setup! I have a close friend with one of those that now has 70,000 miles on it with no problems.

That being said, from everything I can deduct from surfing all the forums (and from Consumer Reports reliability reports), it is not the mechanical problems that will cause you problems on the road - it's the electronic ones. In all makes and models, it is the complicated electronics that are now causing the most problems. Good luck diagnosing and fixing those on the side of the road!

As far as fuel range...it seems to me I read somewhere that the new Ford Superduties with the long bed have a 40 gallon tank? Me, I'm sticking with my old 2004 Dodge/Cummins 3500 - even hauling my Bigfoot cabover camper and towing my Jeep it still gets 13-14 mpg and will run on any old diesel.

phsycle

Adventurer
It’s a terrible time to be buying a used truck right now. Prices are through the roof. When I look at pricing, it makes zero sense to buy used right now. I mean, $35k for a used F150 XL with 50k miles, new is $37-39k.

I’d hold off for a little bit before buying. But if you must buy now, don’t count out new. F350 XL, Crew cab long bed can be had for $40k.

AJM

a64e790f3d70b35c95349a742c6de217.jpg

Try some Australian suppliers of long range fuel tanks. They are a common retrofit here because of distance. They fit under tray and are often quite large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

I just placed an order for a new 2021 RAM 3500 with the 6.4L gas engine and did so for a few very critical reasons: it's gasoline which can be found anywhere unlike ULSD and most importantly, any mechanic can work on it. The engine is naturally aspirated with a throttle body on top and uses sequential multi port fuel injection - it's simple and quite a mature technology. You can work on it with basic hand tools on the side of the road.

Good looking rig/camper!

One look under the hood of a new diesel will send a looot of mechanics running...haha.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
a64e790f3d70b35c95349a742c6de217.jpg

Try some Australian suppliers of long range fuel tanks. They are a common retrofit here because of distance. They fit under tray and are often quite large.

They sell bigger tanks like that here in the US but they’re for diesel. I’ve heard different options about using them for gas trucks.

So I have spoken with a manufacturer of extended range diesel tanks about using it for gasoline, they informed me that they are rated to handle gasoline they just can not advertise using them for gasoline because of the combustiblity of that much gasoline.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Get the Ford. The 7.3's reportedly pull well but will be thirstier than your Cummins. The 6.4's not going to satisfy your need for passing power down there. Get the F- 350 crewcab longbed with that camper. Ford killed 5.5' of turning radius with the mono arm front so they're not the disaster navigating offroad as they used to be. I have an '07 2500 Ram/Cummins with a TC800 which is about the same weight as your camper. I wouldn't want the 6.4. Too high a rev's and the trans will be hunting all the time. With the Ford you will have plenty of truck for the future in the event of your getting a hardsided camper. Ford offers a lower axle ratio which would be helpful for taller flotation tires which you really need exploring the pnw down there.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Yes...
Double edged sword right now. GREAT time to try and sell a truck, my '03 Cummins only has 112K miles. But replacing it would be tough. As much as I'm trying to stay within a budget, new trucks almost seem like a better deal than paying $40-50K for something used.

Great info on the 2015+ F350 LB's and their fuel tank size.

I've called some aux fuel tank manufacturers before who say the diesel tanks won't work for gas. But I imagine that's probably CYA. Years ago, almost fifteen now, I was one of the first people to put an Aus aux tank (44 gallon) in an 80 series. That was awesome. But talk about weight and overloaded...

Who knows. Maybe I'll just hold onto the Dodge for a while longer. After all, it's paid for...

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
love my gasser, but I average 10 w/ the camper on. tiny 25 gallon tank, :/ 260k miles on her so far.

Im going to either buy a diesel extended tank, and play clueless.

But since its a flatbed, I think ill do my own, gosh those tanks are upwards of 1500/usd.

I may just get a 15 gallon steel tank...like you see bolted on the side of lawn/landscaping crews...

FB_IMG_1608676492775.jpg
2004 Chevy 2500

Last edited:

Overdrive

Adventurer
@blupaddler Robb, what brand/model camper is that? I love the tip-out bed and pop top. Is it working well for you? That's a serious over-cab portion...guessing 5' ?

I vote to hold on to your current truck. They aren't making them like that anymore. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94