Rangadanga's 2001 Suburban 2500

Rangadanga

I'm thinking about going ahead and buying their UCA's now, and if I wanna go slightly bigger add their 4" kit and 35's. But i think the rare parts components look beefier than cognitos.

Rangadanga

Also, anyone know what's going on with my oil pressure? I thought it was the sending unit, but I've heard they fail in a pegged position.

Overlandtowater

Mine does bounce around some but yours is super erratic like a wire loose or bad sender. Mine jumps between 56 and 52 about every 3 to 4 seconds and watching it on torque pro the green light blinks about the same telling me it only sends/ calls for the signal every 3 to 4 seconds and gets the jump back and forth between the numbers.

toastyjosh

Adventurer
I had a 2500 6.0 2500hd the had the same thing, I replace the oil sending unit, no change. Kept doing it and eventually stopped working. It was the gauge cluster, My 05 2500 HD diesel also had the cluster go.
Got them rebuilt by a guy in TX no issues sense.

rayra

Expedition Leader
yeah that's a bad electrical connection or ground somewhere.

The sound deadening should be awesome, I'd didn't even do my ceiling, but did all the rest of the back like that and it got really quiet back there. especially any road / tire noise after covering the wheel tubs.

seconding the racks from a auto scrapyard. I'm fairly sure the z71 racks use the same holes as the LT trim.

Rangadanga

Thanks for the responses. I found a slightly damaged z71 rack for 180. Hoping I can pull one for less, but have to go near San Diego I believe.

I wish I knew what one of the previous owners had up there. There is at least 12 different holes in the roof. Thought they were covered, but had to do some damage control after the rain today.

lilkia

Damn! Where the hell are you at? I bought a regular rack and 2 z71 in perfect shape with extra crossbars for $40 per rack. Go find a pull it yourself junk yard and walk the yard till you find a nice rack.

12 holes would be correct there are 2 bolts per "leg", 3 "legs" per side. It doesnt matter what the trim is the racks mount using the same bolts. The only additional issue is getting to the bolts on the z71 racks. You have to remove the plastic shrouds on the legs.

Last edited:

Overlandtowater

Damn! Where the hell are you at? I bought a regular rack and 2 z71 in perfect shape with extra crossbars for $40 per rack. Go find a pull it yourself junk yard and walk the yard till you find a nice rack.
It would be worth a hour or so drive to find a good u-pull you can find all kinds of stuff you didn't know you needed.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the responses. I found a slightly damaged z71 rack for 180. Hoping I can pull one for less, but have to go near San Diego I believe.

I wish I knew what one of the previous owners had up there. There is at least 12 different holes in the roof. Thought they were covered, but had to do some damage control after the rain today.

That sounds about right. The front and rear 'shoes' for the rack each have 2 bolts IIRC and the middle braces at least one, might ahve been two. 6 shoes/feet, 12 bolts.
The side rails slide onto the middle shoes and the ends are bolted down to the block shoes that hide under the aerodynamic shells.

roofrack47.jpg

I believe the trimmer much smaller / flatter rack on the LS/LT series uses the same bolt pattern.

Rangadanga

Got quite a bit done today, replaced the worn stock bump stops with moog. Wow, what a difference. Also filled the holes in the roof with rtv till I get a roof rack. Hope it holds over the next week or two. My carpet is still wet from the last 2 days.

Also, took the boys on our first offroading adventure in the Sub, on Dagget Creek path.20200315_171549_compress13.jpg20200315_134839_compress91.jpg20200315_134632_compress85.jpg20200315_141953_compress47.jpg20200315_134614_compress99.jpg20200315_140135_compress4.jpg20200315_140117_compress68.jpg20200315_135805_compress17.jpg

lilkia

Nice trip! Wish there were more trails like that closer to here.

That rtv will be fine for a good while. Mine had it in the holes with no rack when I bought it which is why I had to buy one and the inside of mine is bone dry. Just smear it up over a little bit so it seals around the nutsert.

I pulled the first one with a dental pick and it came out in one piece so I screwed a coarse thread drywall screw into the rtv on the rest and it all pulled out pretty easy.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Also, anyone know what's going on with my oil pressure? I thought it was the sending unit, but I've heard they fail in a pegged position.

The instrument clusters in all the GM trucks from this era are known for this and other problems related to the solder and circuit board. In most any area of the country or through the internet there are people who provide an onsite or through the mail rebuild of your cluster. The rebuild also includes new lighting (regular or LED) and will solve all your problems.

Had same issue last fall on our 2004 Yukon XL. Guy in my area who does this work came over to the house, did the upgrade/repair and was on his way!

Works PERFECT!

Look on your local CL as those cluster repair guys will have an ad on CL outlining their service and cost.

Here is an example of a vendor providing repair services from my local CL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94