Random Snow Rig Pics

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
DSCN4899.jpg

Big snow in Park City, UT! Taco ready to take me to the trailhead for some backcountry telemark skiing :wings:

(this is my driveway...)

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
I noticed that some have snow chains on front tires and some on rear tires. Somewhere I read that I'm only supposed to put chains on the rear tires of my Jeep JK and never the front tires.

What are the guidelines for using snow chains? I don't have much experience with snow and I'm thinking about buying some chains.

coreys88burban

Adventurer
I noticed that some have snow chains on front tires and some on rear tires. Somewhere I read that I'm only supposed to put chains on the rear tires of my Jeep JK and never the front tires.

What are the guidelines for using snow chains? I don't have much experience with snow and I'm thinking about buying some chains.

chains go on the drive wheels. if you have an all wheel drive all 4 need chains, RWD just the rear and FWD just front, if its a rwd 4x4 the rear are first then if needed while in 4 wheel drive you can have the front on but its not like its required on a pass

wjeeper

Usually I chain up the front wheels first when offroad. My reasoning being the front wheels have to claw through the snow, provide directional controll whereas the rear wheels run on snow that is packed by the front wheels. Chains on all 4 wheels would probably be the best solution......but I an poor and only have 1 pair of chains.

Most often I dont use chains unless the snow is very deep or the trail is packed ice and there is a risk of sliding off the trail. It just kinda depends on the snow conditions and the time of day. Also it is much easier to chain up BEFORE you get stuck..........

My $0.02:sombrero:

Little Red

Adventurer
How about some more snow rig pic's?

I took this picture of my suburban a few weeks ago while out on one of the local forest service roads...

DSC_0424_zpscb65796b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles