Random "Duct Tape" shots

RoundOut

Explorer
Everyone knows that the universal fixit is duct tape (or duck tape, if you prefer). I thought it would be fun to see what the ExPo community has repaired with duct tape. So, post up your repairs and describe their longevity.

I've repaired some tent poles with duct tape and a piece of aluminum cut from a soda can. Unfortunately for this thread, I replaced the tent and don't have a picture of it.

I'll start with something from around the house...

Not exactly a mobile part of my "Alpine Tundra" expedition rig (read: mostly daily driver), but I work on it at night under these lights if the mosquitos in Houston are not too bad. Shortly after we purchased this $25-50 halogen light setup from either Sam's Club, Builder's Square or Home Depot about 12 years ago, the darned thing snapped off in the middle. I found a piece of cabinet stock and splinted it with duct tape. It has held ever since.

I'm looking forward to seeing the creative solutions that our resident "Bush Mechanics" have used the universal fixit for.

offroadchef

Adventurer
No Pic on this one, But the repair was the rubber filler hose to the gas tank. Had the truck at the shop and over night it was stored outside and someone did not like the Gas$$$$$, so they went and got a some discounted gas from my tank. They some how cut or split the hose to get to the tank. I had left the tank low on purpose. I was on my way to get it smogged and stopped at a gas station to fill up when I notcied the "Gas" waterfall. Anyway out comes the duct tape. I did pass smog that day. It held for that day and was replaced later that week.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Broken pitman arm...

Sleeved it with a peice of Hi-Lift handle (cut with a survival saw), wrapped it all in parachute cord and mummied it wth a roll of duct tape. Drove it out of the trail :D

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
cruiseroutfit said:
Broken pitman arm...

Sleeved it with a peice of Hi-Lift handle (cut with a survival saw), wrapped it all in parachute cord and mummied it wth a roll of duct tape. Drove it out of the trail :D

Kurt

I recognize the work of a true master :)

cowboy4x4

Explorer
although not a repair while at tread lightly training our instructor made name tags out of duct tape,all of us found it funny.

IMG_0769_Medium_.JPG

lowenbrau

Explorer
Kurt's pic reminded me of this one. Alaska Cruiser trek 2001.

I saw Ductape at Home depot the other day in 12" wide rolls! Think of the possibilities!

dennisuello

Adventurer
I've got one. :D Broke centering tab on the yoke, so the u-joint came apart. Taped it together and drove 10 miles home.

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
I don't have pictures of any of this, but:

On a rock crawling trip, a guy broke BOTH his front leafsprings. We lined 'em back up, wrapped a crapload of DT around them, and he drove out.

I was taking some measurements of a C-130 for a project at work and found a bunch of spots where they had removed some antennas or something and just DT'd over the hole. This plane had flown into this place like that!

I'm sure Ill think of more.

RoundOut

Explorer
McGyver

I bet McGyver would have been the ultimate Bush Mechanic.

These are great stories so far.... Keep 'em coming!

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
No pictures of the final product, but this was repaired with duct tape on the Moab trip

DSC02164.jpg

Carlyle

Explorer
DSC01418.jpg

On the way back from our last vacation with a roof full of rot and pieces trying to fall off. It's not duct tape, but Gorilla tape that I like a lot more for this type of application. BTW, it's still in place since September... I hope my new camper shows up soon.

BiG BoB

Adventurer
Had an airline on a booster/auxilary to an RC rig blow (1000+ PSI and lotsa CFM)

On investigation some helpful person had repaired a hole in the airline with duct tape, and then put zip ties around it to help hold the pressure.

I've got a 79 series troop carrier outside in the carpark with duct tape over all the holes in the chassis to prevent nuclear material getting in (so that hopefully I can get the vehicle clean enough to leave here some day) :D

had a (then new) 04 model hilux 3L TD that got a split in the flexible joint to the lid of the aircleaner enclosure - I was working in bull dust and wrapped the joiner in duct tape to stop the motor getting dusted - It's still there today!

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz