Rancho or KYB for GMT800

Storz

Explorer
About to pull the trigger on some new shocks for the Escalade, I am converting it to a passive system and getting rid of the autoride. Budget is tight so Bilsteins are out of the equation unfortunately. I have mostly narrowed my search down to either the Rancho RS5000 or KYB Gas-A-Just shocks. Anyone have experience with either of these? Any others in the $50 per shock price range I should look at? The truck is bone stock.

Thanks!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have read great reviews for the Monroe shocks and are well within that range, they also build the shocks for Old Man Emu so they have to be doing something right, I plan to swap in some Monroes later this spring on the Yukon.

Storz

Explorer
I have read great reviews for the Monroe shocks and are well within that range, they also build the shocks for Old Man Emu so they have to be doing something right, I plan to swap in some Monroes later this spring on the Yukon.

Do you know which model of Monroe?

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I see you are from MI, another rust belt state. I tried Ranchos on my rig here in MD and they only lasted about 2 years. One of them flat out rusted solid and another was simply shot, the rebound action was like a snail.

Storz

Explorer
I see you are from MI, another rust belt state. I tried Ranchos on my rig here in MD and they only lasted about 2 years. One of them flat out rusted solid and another was simply shot, the rebound action was like a snail.

Good info, thanks.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
You get cool stickers with the Ranchos.

Doesn't Monroe own Rancho? I'd be a little surprised if they weren't basically the same.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You get cool stickers with the Ranchos.

Doesn't Monroe own Rancho? I'd be a little surprised if they weren't basically the same.

Tenneco owns both companies, but I believe they do not share the same engineering and manufacturing, Monroe seems to be made in the US while Rancho is made in Mexico if memory serves. I could be mistaken though, been years since I even considered buying a Rancho shock but do recall them being stamped with "made in Mexico".

DGarman

What could go wrong?
I worked for Rancho Suspension in Long Beach CA from 1990-96. Tenneco bought Rancho in 1990, and began the development work to produce Rancho shocks at Monroe, another Tenneco company. Rancho’s were originally made by Maremont (Gabriel), and the two shock companies had completely different valving styles. It took a few years before the shift to Monroe production was complete.

The Ranchos built by Monroe had some internal parts that were stronger and more durable than similar parts used in Monroe shocks. These better parts may have found their way into Monroe shocks also.

Prior to and during my time at Rancho, all of the shocks (both Maremont and Monroe) were manufactured in the USA.

On another note, Rancho shocks are valved specifically for each vehicle. “Shopping by length” can produce some bad results!

In answer to the original question….. I’ve used Rancho shocks for decades now, mostly the RS5000s, and I’ve found them to be a great shock for $50. Of course, I may be biased! They don’t last forever, I typically replace them every 3 to 5 years or so. I would never even consider a KYB shock for a truck, but that may be mostly because of my dislike for them going back to the ‘70s!

ChevyPit

Observer
I'm from Guatemala. I've been running on Monroe shocks for the last 10 years, in different models (Magnum, Sensatrac-Spectrum, Reflex). Why? Because down here we get them for a really good price ($40-50, installed), compare to Ranchos ($120). We don't get Blistein (just flying the down, which makes them really expensive).
I only have Chevrolet trucks and SUVS, so my opinion: on my work trucks I use Sensatrac or Magnum (really hard shocks), and on the SUVs I try to use Reflex (more soft ride), or Sensatrac. You get a good price-benefit deal with them, they may not be the best there is, but they have worked good for me.

86cj

Explorer
I run KYB Gas-A-Just if I can't get Bilstein.

I ran 5000's back in the day they seemed OK, but I was very young too. I ran 9000's because I wanted the adjustability on my GMT 800, they rusted and quit adjusting very soon, stupid me tried another set and they rusted and quit working in two years and very low miles.

Opinion? terrible waste of money, almost any shock is better. I had great luck with KYB's on my sports cars...I do love my Bilstien's on my GMT 800

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
Monroes seem to work for me on Chevies

I'm from Guatemala. I've been running on Monroe shocks for the last 10 years, in different models (Magnum, Sensatrac-Spectrum, Reflex). Why? Because down here we get them for a really good price ($40-50, installed), compare to Ranchos ($120). We don't get Blistein (just flying the down, which makes them really expensive).
I only have Chevrolet trucks and SUVS, so my opinion: on my work trucks I use Sensatrac or Magnum (really hard shocks), and on the SUVs I try to use Reflex (more soft ride), or Sensatrac. You get a good price-benefit deal with them, they may not be the best there is, but they have worked good for me.
Pretty much the same for me, here in Texas. I have used Monroe Gas Magnums on my Chevy pickups since about 1990; on my '86 S-10 (they were good 'til its' demise in 2004 -about 14 years-), and on my '69 and '75 C-10s (on front, with Monroe Load Adjust Shock Absorbers on rear: coil-overs to boost load and towing capabilities). Since I replaced my "T-Boned" S-10 in 2004 with an '04 2500 HD Silverado, I copied the Gas Magnums front and rear. However, after a lot of heavy hauling over bad roads with the 2500 HD, I decided to put Monroe Sensatracs on front (for a softer initial "hit"), and put another set of Monroe Load Adjust coil-overs on back, in 2007. After that, I quit racing, and am now retired, so I expect these shocks to last my lifetime! As for Rancho, I've always added their steering stabilizer shocks to all of my trucks. I bought another truck, a '98 GMC 1500 used, from a friend in 2007...it has Ranchos in all five positions, and they're still good-to-go (only 15k miles on them). I guess I can strongly recommend them for trucks. I've also used KYBs on my Chevelle racecar front end, and HHR Panel rear, to good effect. I also used Bilsteins on some of my European cars (in the late 60s-70s), but had problems with them (they broke off my mounts on a '73 Volvo 142). So I probably will say Monroe or Rancho are best.

rayra

Expedition Leader
ran some 5000s on my C-10 along with Rancho's suspension upgrade kit and it all worked great for many years here in SoCal. Springs are still on the truck and working great, 18yrs+, maybe 200k mi on them, amusingly. 99% highway. I've had that pickup for 30yrs now.

eta finally beat one to death on some desert washboard, back in '09

truck%20shock%20fell%20off%20090901%202_zps8lwbqqcg.jpg

Just has some Monroe Gasmatics on it now. They work well enough for my slow speed puttering around in the desert.

eta I have the same old skool bias against KYB, saw a few friends and acquaintances with busted mountings in the 80s. Don't know if it was their KYB shocks or the off-road driving they thought they could do with them mounted.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles