RamCruiser...the build

tacomabill

Hey LandCruiser, when you mention air exchange heater do you mean one that vents externally like Propex? Which heater do you have in mind?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Hey LandCruiser, when you mention air exchange heater do you mean one that vents externally like Propex? Which heater do you have in mind?

Yes Propex HS2000 propane is at the top of my list having heard positive reviews. My experience is with diesel-fired like Webasto and they seem to be a little more finicky with soot and altitude.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
i read your tag the same way
regarding the tundra, payload is 1620lbs, my current configuration with expedition one bumpers with twin winches frt and rear and the wedge camper top is 1000lbs, add fridge and two peeps and your close to max GVWR.. now considering alternatives like returning to stock bumpers and front winch then selling the bumpers and wedge and going with your similar setup.
the power wagon is a great alternative but i want to keep the tundra
this can drive one mad ? ?

Thankfully we have vehicle choices to fit most needs. I love the Toyota products and own several others but the PW was a better fit going in. Hoping the future is as bright. Let us be happy it's not a Gladiator Rubicon good for only 1200lb of payload.ekk!

Do you have a write up on your rear winch?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Before you go calling out Dodge you should do more research. The thread you posted is not the same body style or year, sorry.

Phil,

As I said, I would sincerely be happy to be wrong. I wanted to buy a Dodge Power Wagon in the past for a BigFoot camper but it seems like the payload was under 2000 if I remember correctly. The thread I posted explains why the Power Wagon as a lower payload - it has to do with the factory suspension changes. I believe it applies to every year body style/year, but again I may be wrong.

You got me interested about this and I found this 2006 one on Ebay - even with a manual transmission!:

Here is the VIN number: 3D7KS28DX6G121053

Can you share the Vin Decoder URL where you got the payload from? I tried a couple ones online but they appear to just give out generic information about the 2500, not specific to the Power Wagon (even with the VIN).

Thank you

ps. Another option is to look at the door jamb sticker I believe.

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Phil,

As I said, I would sincerely be happy to be wrong. I wanted to buy a Dodge Power Wagon in the past for a BigFoot camper but it seems like the payload was under 2000 if I remember correctly. The thread I posted explains why the Power Wagon as a lower payload - it has to do with the factory suspension changes. I believe it applies to every year body style/year, but again I may be wrong.

You got me interested about this and I found this 2006 one on Ebay - even with a manual transmission!:

Here is the VIN number: 3D7KS28DX6G121053

Can you share the Vin Decoder URL where you got the payload from?

Thank you

ps. Another option is to look at the door jamb sticker I believe.

I'm 100% comfortable with Dodges published spec for my VIN.

Nice find for sure on 2006

FWIW the specs are not the same as my year

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Thankfully we have vehicle choices to fit most needs. I love the Toyota products and own several others but the PW was a better fit going in. Hoping the future is as bright. Let us be happy it's not a Gladiator Rubicon good for only 1200lb of payload.ekk!
Do you have a write up on your rear winch?
no writeup, but i can grab pictures for you. When i purchased my expedition one rear bumper with swing outs i asked if they had any mount for a rear winch, they said they had a design but it wasn't on their website So i bought their cradle and it was a close enough fit i welded up old holes and redrilled. The bigger issue is making sure your winch line clears the fairlead slot on the bumper. I ended up flipping the warn VR winch for clearance. It still runs correctly but the winch line is now on top as it spools. In an open / exposed scenario this is a big no-no but being behind the bumper i see no issue. Two other items, the exp one bumper is rated for a 10k winch and i stuffed a 12k inplace and you might not have room for the spare..oh and it all weighs a tidy 300lbs! More against the GVWR.. your head must be hurting with all this GVW crap ?
pete

yfarm

Observer
I thought the Power Wagon came with 4.56 gears as part of the package. The decoder shows it as available but looks like this one has 3:73, am I correct?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
First on the list is steps to get in & out.
Design criteria -
• Wife approved
• Solid feel
• High clearance
• Lightweight
• Off roading in mind

Because of the smaller door opening with the Fleet model step placement is very important for a guy 6'+. Add in the same needs for the 5'7" wife this was not going to happen on the first try. In the end getting in & out is now easy for both.

Full disclosure - I also purchased a couple over the counter steps that didnt make the cut :oops:

Im embarrassed on the time I spent to complete but Im super happy with the end product.

Uses factory trailer hitch receiver.
The bottom tread is 6 x 18
The top tread is 4.5 x 18
The lower step will kick away if contacted going forward
Lower step removes in seconds
Bumper hits way before the step will see contact

If it gets damaged good chance I should not of been there in the first place.

Next up - WIth less than 1" of clearance can I get the camper to hit the roof of the PW?

IMG_7572.JPGIMG_7573.JPGIMG_7574.JPGIMG_7575.JPGIMG_7576.JPGIMG-1924.jpg

driller

old soul wanderer
So, does this rig feel that much bigger than a land cruiser and do you feel it will limit where you will be able to go? Considering the same type of change myself.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
So, does this rig feel that much bigger than a land cruiser and do you feel it will limit where you will be able to go? Considering the same type of change myself.

Size wise think 200 series although a PW its only a couple of inches wider than a flared 80. I notice the longer wheelbase and HUGE rear dif (Getting smaller every trip) the most. My build choices are based on maximizing off road ability while keeping it wife approved. Its never doing the Rubicon but it has strong capabilities only limited by clearance. With a coiled front end and swaybar disconnects the flex is impressive keeping it well planted. The interesting part is MS LCP wheels it with confidence and like it off road much more than the 80 but what does she really know. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles