RamboLance Build 92 Ford e350 7.3L ambulance build Wheeled Coach

User1

Whelen Module thingy

I apologize for not knowing the vernacular, is first ambulance. This is a low priority item, obviously, just couldn't help wondering what was in the hole in the dash.

I was also surprised to see that sole out-of-place connector- only one I've seen on the vehicle. Must be aftermarket. Didn't even bother with electrical tape wrap :(

Here are a few more pics.

whelen2.jpg

whelen1.jpg

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
I'm not an Ambulancier, but am an LEO- looks a lot like a (communications) radio slot. Look for a mic clip attached nearby. That would be among the thing's they'd have to pull before selling to the public. I also run a dash mounted radio scanner in my LE rig, that might be an appropriate replacement for that slot- when programmed you can hear LE traffic but not transmit. a CB, aircraft, or Hamm radio would also be a good replacement, or one of each. My short-bus build will have all of these when I'm done as I'm one of those crazy prepper types and communication and intelligence is high on my build priority.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I apologize for not knowing the vernacular, is first ambulance. This is a low priority item, obviously, just couldn't help wondering what was in the hole in the dash.

I was also surprised to see that sole out-of-place connector- only one I've seen on the vehicle. Must be aftermarket. Didn't even bother with electrical tape wrap :(

Here are a few more pics.

whelen2.jpg

whelen1.jpg

The top picture is where the Siren/PA Control Head was mounted. The amplifier is normally mounted in the rear in the electrical cabinet somewhere. It was probably a Whelen or Southern VP model similar to this newer version...

WHELEN295HFSA7LG.png

What's funny is, people/workers steal the Control Head out of surplus vehicles thinking they are going to be able to use it in their POV as a PA or something, but all they get is a box with several switches and maybe a microphone. The rear module is the actual siren and amplifier.

The second picture looks to be a flasher unit for the halogen emergency lights. I would not remove it or anything else electrical until you know exactly what you need and what you don't. Many of these systems are tied together and removing one part will disable it all, or cause limited function at the least.

Take lots of detailed pictures of everything, and when you think you have enough, take some more. Trust me, you won't regret it!!

Last edited:

User1

The top picture is where the Siren/PA Control Head was mounted. The amplifier is normally mounted in the rear in the electrical cabinet somewhere. It was probably a Whelen or Southern VP model similar to this newer version...

WHELEN295HFSA7LG.png

What's funny is, people/workers steal the Control Head out of surplus vehicles thinking they are going to be able to use it in their POV as a PA or something, but all they get is a box with several switches and maybe a microphone. The rear module is the actual siren and amplifier.

The second picture looks to be a flasher unit for the halogen emergency lights, or it may be a load manager. Either way, I would not remove it or anything else electrical until you know exactly what you need and what you don't. Many of these systems are tied together and removing one part will disable it all, or cause limited function at the least.

Take lots of detailed pictures of everything, and when you think you have enough, take some more. Trust me, you won't regret it!!

Thank you ! There is a cb radio clip mounted right there, so this explanation is very plausible. I figured it was just a keypad and the main guts were elsewhere, but they may be gone as this unit was stripped a bit. I don't need sirens, but the PA was always a fun option.

I do take many pictures any time I take things apart or my old brain won't remember where they go !

Thanks again !

patoz

Expedition Leader
No problem, I'm getting up there myself!

I find it very handy having 'stock' pictures of every portion of the vehicle readily available on my computer, for when I'm researching parts at 2 am, and I need to see how something is mounted, or how much space there is between a compartment and the wheel well, etc.

User1

Congrats on your new purchase! But sheesh all of those wires look very intimidating!

They can seem overwhelming, but they are laid-out very nicely and the board is well labeled. I don't cut/remove wires until I'm positive they are not needed or won't be reutilized for future features. Take your time, take notes, ask the forum, ask the manf for wiring diagrams and Google!

If I do want to remove a circuit, take pics, remove the fuse or relay and drive around, try lights, hvac, etc. to see if it is impacted or there is an interlock. I work on a few buses and they have safety interlocks for doors and wheelchair lifts and those get treated with kid gloves, else no-start. :(

The Muzic Mann

WOW! yours looks like it was originally identical to ours!
"Bueller" is a 1991 that hails from New York City, or so we were told.
How far have you gotten on the build??

Screenshot_2018-05-20-13-39-43.pngwheeled coach tag.pngScreenshot_2018-05-20-13-42-07.pngScreenshot_2018-05-20-13-39-39.pngclimate control.pngScreenshot_2018-05-20-13-40-07.png

patoz

Expedition Leader
All I can say is, Wheeled Coach must have gone to their current standard format ambulance module sometime in 1992, because they all have pretty much the same features from then on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles