Rambo - GMC Ambo Conversion (Roof Raise)

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Are you talking about the plastic fender part? Don't forget I saved you some... :)
I’ve not forgotten.

I was referring to the white plastic on the wall. The OEM stuff is cracked. I’ve got 3 sheets of white HDPE to repair it with. It’s normally used on the boards at hockey rinks. It shouldn’t crack... even if it gets cold... not that it happens here.

TheRealPapaK

Sorry for the lack of posts. I’ve been working midnights and just cutting, sanding, sanding, sanding. This is the first time I’ve stained butcher block. I heard of lots of people having blotchy results so I sanded 40, 100, 180, 240 and then I used Mineax prestain conditioner, Minwax oil based stain, and Minwax Helmsman satin finish one part oil based polyurethane. I just got the first coat of the polyurethane on and I’m really happy with it. I went a bit too dark on the cross grain which if I was using my head I could have compensated for but it’s not too bad.

2C7406F7-BF77-490E-B001-934F1538599E.jpeg

DD53CB01-B60A-4063-B699-6460D3491A4D.jpeg
9309DB3C-6F9A-4770-BCA3-80A8F4C252A7.jpeg
5031A8DF-DECF-411F-9167-1B2B2E8F0F29.jpeg
D1422C5C-BA13-4E26-B49C-06A23E724A76.jpeg

TheRealPapaK

Update: There were some pin hole bumps on the finish after the first coat. I took all the bumps down with 400 grit sand paper til it felt smooth by hand, wiped and applied a second coat. Coming back 8 hours later I still have a couple

The polyurethane feels a little thick and grabby. I put more on than I probably should so that the surface felt "wet out". I have Rambo cooled to about 10C for the first couple hours of curing and then I up the heat to 20 to give the poly urethane a chance to flow out. I haven't got any brush marks but I still have bumpy pin holes. This is probably from over brushing or too thick of a coat. Likely a combination of both.

If you use this finishing method, I would strongly encourage you to thin the first coat of the polyurethane(this will depend on the brand but the helmsman for sure) by 50%. I think the subsequent layers by 25%. You probably will have to do 4 or 5 coats if you thin it but they should dry faster too. I think this thinning step is especially important if you are in a warm environment. It's the holidays and the weekend and tomorrow is another stat so I can't get anything to thin the polyurethane. I think I will keep on with the thick for now. I have three good coats. I think I will sand and do one more in the morning (it is a high traffic area) and maybe on Tuesday I will get some mineral spirits and do a final thin coat after sanding. Alternatively, after 4 or 5 unthinned coats, I might wait 3 or 4 weeks and give it a sand up to 800 grit and a polish to take care of any last bumps.

Last edited:

TheRealPapaK

It’s been a while since I posted. Not much to report. Just lots of sanding and painting. The oiled cutting board blocks off the sink for when you want extra counter space. The tin tile backsplash came in a lot darker than I planned (it was supposed to be closer to copper) but I think it will still work. It’s just temporarily taped in place but I’ll have to cut around the window soon.

5315C5AC-8B7A-437A-94B9-7205B52635DC.jpeg

Abitibi

Explorer
Looks great and with the paneling it is really starting to look like a complete project!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

TheRealPapaK

Looks great and with the paneling it is really starting to look like a complete project!
Thanks David.
I remember 9 months ago when I was first looking at getting an ambo you cautioned me to keep it simple. I wish I listened ?. I think I'm more or less on track to have her ready to hit the road by end of March...I haven't figured out what year yet though.

Abitibi

Explorer
Hahaha, 2021 started pretty good, I can't see why it wouldn't be cruising the country by summer time! Similar goal for mine!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Deshet

Adventurer
Nice job on the roof raise. I want to raise mine 2'
Crazy how much you accomplished so quickly.
Do you happen to have YouTube videos on anything that go into more detail.

If I can do this it will become my mine will become my primary vehicle

Do you think the your passenger seat has enough space for a swivel?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200523_103845_resize_73.jpg
    20200523_103845_resize_73.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200523_103854_resize_34.jpg
    20200523_103854_resize_34.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

TheRealPapaK

Nice job on the roof raise. I want to raise mine 2'
Crazy how much you accomplished so quickly.
Do you happen to have YouTube videos on anything that go into more detail.

If I can do this it will become my mine will become my primary vehicle

Do you think the your passenger seat has enough space for a swivel?

Thanks
Unfortunately I don't have any videos. My wife was telling me I should film some stuff but I'm just not disciplined enough to always think of grabbing the camera etc. Although I really wish I did. Part of me is a little embarrassed if people see my ramrod ways lol.

2' is a lot but I think it's totally doable. Do you know what your wall structure looks like yet? It's kind of hard to see in the pictures but your roof looks square so It should be easier in someways than mine was.

With the OEM seats, there is not enough room for a swivel, however, I am adding a 3rd seat that will go between the main seats that will swivel and also be able to slide 40" into the cab. I originally wanted two swivel seats but I do already have a 60" dinette so I don't need that much seating. I wanted a third seat belt and at least oneseat you could use if you left the bed down on top of the dinette.

Deshet

Adventurer
The roof line is fairly square with rounded edges. I believe that all of mine have had square roofs. Did you make the u brackets that you used.

I have always be reluctant to tare into one but I have a 4x4 Ford F350 ambo that will be my first try. I wish I could find one like your in 4x4. I am a Ford guy but this japanese designed duramax in the GMs is hard to beat.

I am fairly sure that the box is aluminum with fiberglass in places.

To me the only downside to an ambulance is the box height. I don't understand how it doesn't become a problem for paramedics, I guess they just slide around.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online