Ram with canopy

60Dan

Explorer
Does anyone have any info on this truck?

Found this pic on Instagram (sorry can’t remember who posted it)

It was taken at Overland expo west this year. Looks like the AEV Ram with a custom canopy

Thanks

Attachments

• DB31C489-FAFA-4270-8813-433EF3CC2980.jpeg
    DB31C489-FAFA-4270-8813-433EF3CC2980.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 543

ttengineer

Adventurer
It looks like Patriot Campers PCOR tray bed and canopy. I believe their US distributor, Expedition Outfitters, will have them for sale here soon.
The only AEV thing on the truck that I see is the snorkel though. It has Method NV HD wheels too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
Looks cool, but I really can't see many US owners spending big $ on that thing. It seems like a very expensive styling statement more than anything else. The COG is raised up on a vehicle that is already sitting quite high. Not to mention you can probably get a lot more storage capacity out of a stock Ram 2500/3500 with a bed-drawer system. Or if you prefer a flatbed, there are plenty of domestic options available which will not cost as much.

IMHO, flatbed's only make sense if you're:
A) carrying a camper
or
B) using the truck for industrial or agricultural work.

The whole Aussie system of flatbed + aluminum canpoy is great in concept, but the $ required to buy and install those components makes it unrealistic for most.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I actually disagree.

I think it's a great multi use product. Now converting a pick-up to one is not exactly cost effective, but people could certainly purchase a chassis cab in what ever trim level they want then add the tray bed and canopy.

I really dig tray beds. They are extremely useful and versatile.

Oilbrnr

Thats a Barroud RTT up top. Had one on my LX450. Mixed emotions about it. Any RTT sucks when nature comes calling at 2am.

I tend to agree with Dalko on this one. Those tray ideas are interesting, and provide for good access to food prep, but other downsides IMHO. Cost being one of them. Exposure.

The new pop up AT Habitat (not the flip top) looks much more interesting to me. Not to mention it is made here in AZ.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Thats a Barroud RTT up top. Had one on my LX450. Mixed emotions about it. Any RTT sucks when nature comes calling at 2am.

I tend to agree with Dalko on this one. Those tray ideas are interesting, and provide for good access to food prep, but other downsides IMHO. Cost being one of them. Exposure.

The new pop up AT Habitat (not the flip top) looks much more interesting to me. Not to mention it is made here in AZ.

There are pros and cons to every setup. I've yet to see one that only has marks in the pros column.

With both the canopy and AT pop top I'd still want a rather larger awning, most likely a 270.

mizedog

Observer
All that's great. But, I can't get over that white, over-the-cab mounted rotational radar housing. Or, is that lydar? Raytheon? Take a look.

Ok, maybe it's just water storage; )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
I suppose in overseas markets where flatbed trays are sold by the OEM’s and chassis trucks are fairly common, that setup could make sense.

Here in North America, those canopies are rare and expensive. Flatbeds are common enough, though I don’t think the domestic ones would be compatible with an Aussie canopy. And most chassis trucks I’ve seen are DRW, catering to towing and industrial operators.

I get the cool factor, but from a logistical perspective, you’re raising the trucks COG and decreasing usable space compared to a regular bed with say a drawer system...I just don’t see a huge advantage, especially considering the cost entailed.

But if someone had nothing but time and lots of money to spend, it’d sure make for an interesting build thread.

E.J. Webb

It's a Patriot Camper UTE back, I talked with that guy at the EXPO and it's AWESOME. It's got a drop down kitchen and a side mount fridge. The canopy can be unbolted and you have a nice flat bed.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I suppose in overseas markets where flatbed trays are sold by the OEM’s and chassis trucks are fairly common, that setup could make sense.

Here in North America, those canopies are rare and expensive. Flatbeds are common enough, though I don’t think the domestic ones would be compatible with an Aussie canopy. And most chassis trucks I’ve seen are DRW, catering to towing and industrial operators.

I get the cool factor, but from a logistical perspective, you’re raising the trucks COG and decreasing usable space compared to a regular bed with say a drawer system...I just don’t see a huge advantage, especially considering the cost entailed.

But if someone had nothing but time and lots of money to spend, it’d sure make for an interesting build thread.

A 200ish pound canopy, with the majority of the weight in the bottom, is not going to effect, particularly a Cummins equipped ram, the COG or even the handling nearly as much as you think. You have to remember these trucks are designed to haul 3000+ lbs in the bed while towing 20k ... safely.

A little canopy like that will hardly, if even, be noticeable.

I'd actually bet you shed weight by dropping the pick-up bed and adding the tray.

Dalko43

Explorer
It’s not the canopy weight I’m referring to, it’s how high the overall flatbed platform looks. I’m sure that’s due in part to the lift and not solely the flatbed.

I’m not saying this Aussie canopy flatbed combo is utter crap. I know those setups have proven their worth in Australia and other areas. I’m just noting that you’re probably getting more space and equal access with a simple ARE cap and a drawer system, all at a lower price point too.

Oilbrnr

All that's great. But, I can't get over that white, over-the-cab mounted rotational radar housing. Or, is that lydar? Raytheon? Take a look.

Ok, maybe it's just water storage; )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

LOL! Forgot about that water tower out there at the Coconino County Fairgrounds. Haven't been there in many years, and many more beers! Pretty sure most of that facility was built by the CCC during FDR's New Deal. Seriously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior