Ram Tradesman w/power wagon option VS Gladiator rubicon/mojave

jadmt

Throw some 35’s, rock sliders and a delthoff trans skid and call it a day. That’s what I did to mine, leaving it simple and it works great. With this combo it’s very capable, and still street friendly with a spare in the factory spot. I sold my factory tires for 500 with 4K on them.
The tranny pan definitely needs a skid i couldn’t believe it when i was crawling around underneath and found an unprotected piece of plastic...looks like delthoff is backed up on orders. I am surprised there are not more outfits making sliders it seems like white knuckle and maple are about it.

billiebob

My wife suffers from motion sickness. Being “cramped” in a midsize was not helping, which is one of the reasons I got rid of the Tacoma. Even for myself, full-size is a great long-haul machine. After a full day of driving, I’m still fairly fresh. Much more so than in a midsize. Plus the “best of both worlds” that a truck like PW is.....You made the right choice.
Have you used a ground strap. My daughter suffered from motion sickness til a doctor told us it was caused by a static electricity build up. Add a ground strap and problem solved.

1950s technology.

s-l300.jpg

Chorky

Observer
The tranny pan definitely needs a skid i couldn’t believe it when i was crawling around underneath and found an unprotected piece of plastic...looks like delthoff is backed up on orders. I am surprised there are not more outfits making sliders it seems like white knuckle and maple are about it.
One of our crews were working out near Lochsa very easily put a stop through one of those plastic trans pans just a few weeks ago.... Bad news. fortunately they were on a road accessible by a tow truck.. I would make that your number one!

Recommended books for Overlanding

Don't Go There. It's Not Safe. You'll Die.: And other mor...
by Jared McCaffree, Jessica Mans, Kobus Mans
From $19.99
Motorcycle Messengers: Tales from the Road by Writers who...
by Lois Pryce, Mark Richardson, Carla King, Sam Manic...
From $9.99
Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why
by Laurence Gonzales
From $9.99

jadmt

One of our crews were working out near Lochsa very easily put a stop through one of those plastic trans pans just a few weeks ago.... Bad news. fortunately they were on a road accessible by a tow truck.. I would make that your number one!
yes unfortunately the only one I have found is the Dethloff and it backordered. it has to be the stupidest design flaw since...well since ever..I about ******** myself when I crawled under and saw that big piece of plastic just exposed like it is.

Explorerinil

Observer
yes unfortunately the only one I have found is the Dethloff and it backordered. it has to be the stupidest design flaw since...well since ever..I about ******** myself when I crawled under and saw that big piece of plastic just exposed like it is.
I wouldn’t call it a design flaw, I’m sure 90% of power wagon owners never have an issue, look under a tremor and you’ll see a design flaw with the oil filter, pan area that’s horribly exposed.

delthoff will get that skid out to you quick, when I ordered mine it was on back order also.

jadmt

I wouldn’t call it a design flaw, I’m sure 90% of power wagon owners never have an issue, look under a tremor and you’ll see a design flaw with the oil filter, pan area that’s horribly exposed.

delthoff will get that skid out to you quick, when I ordered mine it was on back order also.
No way should a tranny pan be plastic no matter what any other vehicle has. Kind of saying it is ok to have an exposed this or that because some one else has more exposed this or that. Delthoff told me today he is looking at 5 weeks out, kind of cool he responded on a Saturday.

Chorky

Observer
No way should a tranny pan be plastic no matter what any other vehicle has. Kind of saying it is ok to have an exposed this or that because some one else has more exposed this or that. Delthoff told me today he is looking at 5 weeks out, kind of cool he responded on a Saturday.
I suppose one could find it, not acceptable, but not surprising on a low grade 1500 series.... but not a PW....

Did you get the factory winch? we need more pictures here...

Oilbrnr

Meh, I don't know about the real need of that skid. In the past 3 years I've been all over AZ, UT, CA and I do some pretty hairy ********, not a scratch. (Radius arms, another story...)

I thought about that skid, but I'm already at 9.5k, not sure I'm ready to hang that much more tinsel to the tree.

Be more worried about smacking that rear AAM pumpkin. It will make contact frequently! 😁 Semi-kidding.

And FWIW, coming out of the Swell in June, I was due for a new set of tires. My buddy (he also has a '09 PW with FWC, as well as an 80 series) and I concluded that the juice just ain't worth the squeeze for 35 to 37's in our situation. The low part on a PW is the radius arms (and pumpkin), and they hit the most coming off shelves or large rocks. Another inch of rubber isn't going to make much diff. Spare, rotating mass, diminished performance both go and stop, re-gear to do right. 5-6k all in. (well not including where the spare goes)

Money better spent with Don T for suspension pieces.

Last edited:

jadmt

I suppose one could find it, not acceptable, but not surprising on a low grade 1500 series.... but not a PW....

yes they come with Warn zeon 12000S. Nice winch for sure and heck of a beefy mounting system.
5E9035C0-EB33-4403-9345-7110DA602989.jpeg

Explorerinil

Observer

All power wagons come with a winch, it’s not optional but standard equipment.

jadmt

Meh, I don't know about the real need of that skid. In the past 3 years I've been all over AZ, UT, CA and I do some pretty hairy ****, not a scratch. (Radius arms, another story...)

I thought about that skid, but I'm already at 9.5k, not sure I'm ready to hang that much more tinsel to the tree.

Be more worried about smacking that rear AAM pumpkin. It will make contact frequently! 😁 Semi-kidding.

And FWIW, coming out of the Swell in June, I was due for a new set of tires. My buddy (he also has a '09 PW with FWC, as well as an 80 series) and I concluded that the juice just ain't worth the squeeze for 35 to 37's in our situation. The low part on a PW is the radius arms (and pumpkin), and they hit the most coming off shelves or large rocks. Another inch of rubber isn't going to make much diff. Spare, rotating mass, diminished performance both go and stop, re-gear to do right. 5-6k all in. (well not including where the spare goes)

Money better spent with Don T for suspension pieces.
the 2018 on down PW don't have plastic tranny pans. it is a product of the 8speed. there is absolutely nothing protecting it and is wide open real estate under there with not only the plastic tranny but the shift actuator hanging down low as well.
15B0348E-034F-4E99-A283-2946F2C3B9B2.jpegFF968FA2-38CE-40A1-AF2D-73882389EBDE.jpeg

Last edited:

Recommended books for Overlanding

Cycling the Great Divide: From Canada to Mexico on North ...
by Michael McCoy, venture Cycling Association
From $9.99
Motorcycle Messengers 2: Tales from the Road by Writers w...
by Jeremy Kroeker, Ted Simon, Lois Pryce, Billy Ward,...
From $9.99

jadmt

Still waiting on the Dethloff skid. Was supposed to be here already but according to Dethloff the fires in that area delayed things. He said it would ship this week so hopefully it will. Scored a deal on some AEV Salta wheels for $150 a pop with free shipping. Funny thing is my jeeping buddy liked mine so much after driving it he sold his 2020 Duramax outright and bought a loaded Power wagon himself. He also jumped on the Salta wheel deal and he ordered a Decked system for it already. I am at 1500 miles and so far am pretty impressed with the mpg. I was expecting much worse.
96F1CE35-D976-4DED-B807-A13E04975AF1_1_201_a.jpeg7CFEB113-905B-4250-A542-ED3B32B9FEE9_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited: