Ram Tradesman w/power wagon option VS Gladiator rubicon/mojave

jadmt

They're both great options, I dont think either one would be a 'bad' choice! how did the ride between the two differ if you don't mind sharing - never been in a JKU.
This will sound crazy because i loved my recon. The Gladiator felt hallow and tinny sounding inside and my test drive loop consisted of a set of rail road tracks and a short section of rough dirt road as well as two lane that you can hit about 70mph on. The galdiator felt light and nimble but was not near as composed on the rougher section which I was use to as that is how my wrangler feels, it did want to kind of wander it its lane a bit so required constant input. The Gladiator I was driving had the headliner option which I do as well and it still sounded hallow inside and there was a fair amount of wind noise coming from the passenger side (I have test driven several gladiators and they have all had this) loud enough that while not terrible enough that the radio would need to fairly high or if visiting with a passenger you would need to speak up and pay attention. I took the initial test drives solo ie nobody in the vehicles with me. the Rams where absolutely quiet with zero wind noise and never wandered at all. They were silky smooth hitting the tracks and the rough section of dirt. They were whisper quiet inside at least at the speeds I got up to.

I went home to think about it and wait for my wife to get off work so she could ride in them as at this point I was still undecided. The Gladiator was priced right between the two rams and I still was not sure which I was going with as I have had 4 wranglers including 3 rubicons and love jeeps. When my wife got home we did the same loop with my wife as a passenger and she immediately said you need to get the nicer of the two rams. The PW has different seats then the Tradesman with pw option and happy wife happy life...as the story goes. So all that to say the Rams (both were identical as far as ride) are just much more composed and quieter and have an intoxicating sound when pushing on the accelerator compared to the Gladiator..

phsycle

Adventurer
My wife suffers from motion sickness. Being “cramped” in a midsize was not helping, which is one of the reasons I got rid of the Tacoma. Even for myself, full-size is a great long-haul machine. After a full day of driving, I’m still fairly fresh. Much more so than in a midsize. Plus the “best of both worlds” that a truck like PW is.....You made the right choice.

GB_Willys_2014

Congratulations on the purchase.

I have been following this thread with interest. Compared to the Gladiator's price, the Power Wagon, basic spec, is the value choice.

FWIW, another vote for the sticker delete.

Pnwfullsize

This will sound crazy because i loved my recon. The Gladiator felt hallow and tinny sounding inside and my test drive loop consisted of a set of rail road tracks and a short section of rough dirt road as well as two lane that you can hit about 70mph on. The galdiator felt light and nimble but was not near as composed on the rougher section which I was use to as that is how my wrangler feels, it did want to kind of wander it its lane a bit so required constant input. The Gladiator I was driving had the headliner option which I do as well and it still sounded hallow inside and there was a fair amount of wind noise coming from the passenger side (I have test driven several gladiators and they have all had this) loud enough that while not terrible enough that the radio would need to fairly high or if visiting with a passenger you would need to speak up and pay attention. I took the initial test drives solo ie nobody in the vehicles with me. the Rams where absolutely quiet with zero wind noise and never wandered at all. They were silky smooth hitting the tracks and the rough section of dirt. They were whisper quiet inside at least at the speeds I got up to.

I went home to think about it and wait for my wife to get off work so she could ride in them as at this point I was still undecided. The Gladiator was priced right between the two rams and I still was not sure which I was going with as I have had 4 wranglers including 3 rubicons and love jeeps. When my wife got home we did the same loop with my wife as a passenger and she immediately said you need to get the nicer of the two rams. The PW has different seats then the Tradesman with pw option and happy wife happy life...as the story goes. So all that to say the Rams (both were identical as far as ride) are just much more composed and quieter and have an intoxicating sound when pushing on the accelerator compared to the Gladiator..
Oh yeah i forgot the tradesman seats are pretty basic. I love my power wagon seats.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Dreaming of Jupiter
by Ted Simon
From $15.43
Cycling the Great Divide: From Canada to Mexico on North ...
by Michael McCoy, venture Cycling Association
From $9.99

Oilbrnr

You'll be so much happier with that up-level from Tradesman and the 8.4. Trust me!

Silver is a good second option to white. 😁

You should be happy. There hasn't been a place yet that I've wanted/needed to go to yet here in the Southwest (AZ,MX,CA,UT) that the PW has not gone. Little dicey on the beach, but do-able even with a FWC.

jadmt

You'll be so much happier with that up-level from Tradesman and the 8.4. Trust me!

Silver is a good second option to white. 😁

You should be happy. There hasn't been a place yet that I've wanted/needed to go to yet here in the Southwest (AZ,MX,CA,UT) that the PW has not gone. Little dicey on the beach, but do-able even with a FWC.
White definitely would be my first choice. most all my vehicles have been white and it just works for me. I can live with silver, altho I am not nuts about the big decal on the box. I actually clay barred it this morning and put a coat of wax on it and man does it sparkle. I already like that 8.4 lots of neat info.

Chorky

Observer

Nice. Well I can't say I'm surprised the PW rides better and is quieter... Jeep's aren't really known to be quiet. Also considering you've had so many, not entirely a bad idea to switch it up for a bit. Did you part with your JKU for the truck? I am a bit surprised the gladiator didn't feel as secure on the rougher road...but maybe just due to the lighter weight and narrower track width? I have often thought about my gov truck (ram 2500) and how nice it has been considering beating the crap out of it all the time and it has not once yet failed and off road significantly more than most. 70K miles and 3 years old. I have a feeling the gladiator might not be as willing to take a constant beating.

What are your long term plans for the PW??

jadmt

Nice. Well I can't say I'm surprised the PW rides better and is quieter... Jeep's aren't really known to be quiet. Also considering you've had so many, not entirely a bad idea to switch it up for a bit. Did you part with your JKU for the truck? I am a bit surprised the gladiator didn't feel as secure on the rougher road...but maybe just due to the lighter weight and narrower track width? I have often thought about my gov truck (ram 2500) and how nice it has been considering beating the crap out of it all the time and it has not once yet failed and off road significantly more than most. 70K miles and 3 years old. I have a feeling the gladiator might not be as willing to take a constant beating.

What are your long term plans for the PW??
I sold my recon to a gent who flew in from out of state and drove it home. No doubt I am going to miss it, but yes kind of fun to switch it up once in a while. I went whole hog into the offroading with the jeeps ie moab 2X a year, rubicon, dusy ershim, Colorado 3X's I have no illusions that the PW will do half of what I did in the jeeps but I also know there are a lot of mellow trails in Moab that would be fun and more of an overland type rig. I would have no problem doing the san juan area of colorado in it. They have pretty crappy payload so I will be looking for a really light weight slide in pop up. I did see a video of a guy in a PW going down nose dive which is insane so I know they can do some pretty cool stuff but width and length are definitely a challenge when doing a lot of stuff as I do not want to pin stripe it yet LOL> I am also limited to lifting it or even running 37's as my wife is short and no way will I subject her to that :)

Explorerinil

Observer
I sold my recon to a gent who flew in from out of state and drove it home. No doubt I am going to miss it, but yes kind of fun to switch it up once in a while. I went whole hog into the offroading with the jeeps ie moab 2X a year, rubicon, dusy ershim, Colorado 3X's I have no illusions that the PW will do half of what I did in the jeeps but I also know there are a lot of mellow trails in Moab that would be fun and more of an overland type rig. I would have no problem doing the san juan area of colorado in it. They have pretty crappy payload so I will be looking for a really light weight slide in pop up. I did see a video of a guy in a PW going down nose dive which is insane so I know they can do some pretty cool stuff but width and length are definitely a challenge when doing a lot of stuff as I do not want to pin stripe it yet LOL> I am also limited to lifting it or even running 37's as my wife is short and no way will I subject her to that :)
Throw some 35’s, rock sliders and a delthoff trans skid and call it a day. That’s what I did to mine, leaving it simple and it works great. With this combo it’s very capable, and still street friendly with a spare in the factory spot. I sold my factory tires for 500 with 4K on them.