Ram Tradesman w/power wagon option VS Gladiator rubicon/mojave

Chorky

Observer
Montana and those are the same as I can get the tradesman with pw option here. thanks. local dealer has a white, red and that green. I think the green you either like or don't and it is not my fav.
What part of Montana? I say go for the Gladiator - maybe wait until they offer the diesel option and see what other goodies they may change as well. I have all 3 of the sizes. I own a 97 7.3, a 06 TJ, and my government truck is a 17 2500. I will say, I can go most 'normal' places in the full size truck with ease, except turning around. There are some jeep trails I have to take the government rig on occasion. It does ok, except the stiffer suspension (for towing/payload) causes it to lift axles easy. But a couple things to consider. 1..do you really NEED that much capability towing/payload wise? If you do then by all means... But if you don't then your just struggling with a larger than necessary vehicle. The older I get, the more I use my Jeep, because of simplicity, and ease. Original life plans were to fully build the 7.3 for long range trips, including significant off road. But, the idea of having to haul that monster back on a shelf road if it slid off ever so slightly is bothersome anymore. Plus, its just more complicated. 2, simpler is just better - at least for myself the older I get. I realize also, that in all reality, for myself, I could easily accomplish almost everything I plan/need to do with a gladiator than with my big monstorous truck, well built as it is. Sure, the gladiator can't haul full sheets of plywood for building the cabin, but you can easily tow a trailer that can.... You wouldn't need to haul 15,000 pounds of wood at once necessarily. I have found myself driving my TJ WAY more often than the truck when exploring dirt roads - I personally am interested in the gladiator mostly because of a still small vehicle, but longer wheelbase than the TJ = better softer ride.

So I think, my .02 is to maybe really consider the HONEST realities of what you will actually do/need vs. what you 'think' you might want. Years ago when I built my truck, I was thinking what I 'might have wanted'. If I could have gone back, I would have done things way different. Now, not saying I dont like my truck, its classic, well built, awesome. But not at all necessary for my actual lifestyle. I think this is soemthing us in this 1st world make huge mistake on. So maybe consider for a moment...do you actually NEED that massive towing/payload capacity? I believe you mentioned in your first post you likely would not tow anything over 5,000 pounds anyway.... so, therefore, why the need for a big truck? Now on the other side of that coin, if you never ever plan to drive narrower roads, or just don't mind struggling more to turn around, then maybe a fullsize is the right way to go - no doubt they are more comfortable just due to the longer wheelbase.

jadmt

What part of Montana? I say go for the Gladiator - maybe wait until they offer the diesel option and see what other goodies they may change as well. I have all 3 of the sizes. I own a 97 7.3, a 06 TJ, and my government truck is a 17 2500. I will say, I can go most 'normal' places in the full size truck with ease, except turning around. There are some jeep trails I have to take the government rig on occasion. It does ok, except the stiffer suspension (for towing/payload) causes it to lift axles easy. But a couple things to consider. 1..do you really NEED that much capability towing/payload wise? If you do then by all means... But if you don't then your just struggling with a larger than necessary vehicle. The older I get, the more I use my Jeep, because of simplicity, and ease. Original life plans were to fully build the 7.3 for long range trips, including significant off road. But, the idea of having to haul that monster back on a shelf road if it slid off ever so slightly is bothersome anymore. Plus, its just more complicated. 2, simpler is just better - at least for myself the older I get. I realize also, that in all reality, for myself, I could easily accomplish almost everything I plan/need to do with a gladiator than with my big monstorous truck, well built as it is. Sure, the gladiator can't haul full sheets of plywood for building the cabin, but you can easily tow a trailer that can.... You wouldn't need to haul 15,000 pounds of wood at once necessarily. I have found myself driving my TJ WAY more often than the truck when exploring dirt roads - I personally am interested in the gladiator mostly because of a still small vehicle, but longer wheelbase than the TJ = better softer ride.

So I think, my .02 is to maybe really consider the HONEST realities of what you will actually do/need vs. what you 'think' you might want. Years ago when I built my truck, I was thinking what I 'might have wanted'. If I could have gone back, I would have done things way different. Now, not saying I dont like my truck, its classic, well built, awesome. But not at all necessary for my actual lifestyle. I think this is soemthing us in this 1st world make huge mistake on. So maybe consider for a moment...do you actually NEED that massive towing/payload capacity? I believe you mentioned in your first post you likely would not tow anything over 5,000 pounds anyway.... so, therefore, why the need for a big truck? Now on the other side of that coin, if you never ever plan to drive narrower roads, or just don't mind struggling more to turn around, then maybe a fullsize is the right way to go - no doubt they are more comfortable just due to the longer wheelbase.
I am in Missoula. it is a tough choice. I have wheeled pretty much everywhere and have done the Rubicon trail, dusy ershim most of the colorado trails, have gone to moab 2X maybe 3 times a year since 2012 and have done most of the trails there. Most of the stuff in Willies books as I was with him on some of the last 2 books so I certainly know the value of a smaller size rig for running trails. most of those trails a gladiator would be fine on especially if running 37's.

Chorky

Observer
I am in Missoula. it is a tough choice. I have wheeled pretty much everywhere and have done the Rubicon trail, dusy ershim most of the colorado trails, have gone to moab 2X maybe 3 times a year since 2012 and have done most of the trails there. Most of the stuff in Willies books as I was with him on some of the last 2 books so I certainly know the value of a smaller size rig for running trails. most of those trails a gladiator would be fine on especially if running 37's.
Likewise - just a tad north of you. Hmm...I think I know who you are ha. The cool thing is I think either way you can't really go wrong unless you ended up deciding you wanted to tow heavy, or continue with hard Jeep trails. But, I would think if you need 37's on a Gladiator to run most of the trails you enjoy, do you think it would be reasonable to do the same with a larger truck?? I'm sure it could if it were on 40's which is common nowadays.... Another thought I have for myself, that might mean something to you, or not...is the reality of changing a tire, or fixing a sliced tire on my truck (35's) as compared to my TJ (31's) can be a big deal - especially as one gets older or has bodily issues... I'm always trying to think of the long game, mostly due to financial reasons. But that might be a consideration as well. I can imagine the suck of changing a 40" tire on a Jeep trail... Done that plenty with uncle sam and over it. Either way - it is a hard choice, both options are pretty sweet.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Into Africa
by Sam Manicom
From $24.6
Cycling the Great Divide: From Canada to Mexico on North ...
by Michael McCoy, venture Cycling Association
From $9.99
Motorcycle Messengers 2: Tales from the Road by Writers w...
by Jeremy Kroeker, Ted Simon, Lois Pryce, Billy Ward,...
From $9.99

Oilbrnr

I have been reading on some sites and there are those that say that it is not as easy as just adding air bags to increase load capacity as the the 5 link rear is not strong enough to carry the heavy loads. the towing part is not an issue as I would never be even close to the tow rating. I wish it had a bit more payload tho as I would love to have a slide in pop up but even light ones when ready to go will max you out without even taking into account passengers, my wife and dog along with me would be around 400lbs. That was the one big advantage I was thinking the pw would have over the smaller jeep. The jeep will tow any trailer I would pull no problem.
You're listening to the wrong sites. It is the same 5 link rear, unless the panhard length is PW specific due to static ride height axle centering.

Get some airbags in Daystar cradles, or convince Don Thuren to spin us up some custom Four Wheel Camper rear PW heavy coils. All loaded up I'm right at 10k. As a side bonus, you can kinda use the bags to level in one direction when stopping for the night. 😁

Feb Beach Trip-68.jpegIMG_4407 (1).jpegIMG_4926.jpeg

Last edited:

billiebob

40 years ago we needed a 4 door pickup and bought an F250 Crewcab. If the Power Wagon had existed I'd have bought one. Today we have zero need for a backseat so the Rubicon is perfect. But with a family we would own a Power Wagon for sure.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I thought those pictures of the truck looked like Lithia Missoula. Those Ass Hats are the reason I traded my 2012 Power Wagon for a 2020 Raptor and not a 2020 Power Wagon. I hope you’re not stuck working with Tim!

That said, the Lithia Ram of Missoula Service Department was awesome to work with. I’d been in a Ram 2500 Hemi of some sort since 2004, and they were awesome. If a buy a Ram again in the future (from anywhere but Lithia Ram Missoula) I’d be more than happy to trust the service department again!

jadmt

I'm rooting for the gladiator!! Let's see it.
I thought that was going to be the one but after multiple back to back test drives the Gladiator felt too much like my JKUR recon and the Ram was so much different I figured I would try it for a while. I am sure at some point I will wonder what I have done lol.

jadmt

I thought those pictures of the truck looked like Lithia Missoula. Those Ass Hats are the reason I traded my 2012 Power Wagon for a 2020 Raptor and not a 2020 Power Wagon. I hope you’re not stuck working with Tim!

That said, the Lithia Ram of Missoula Service Department was awesome to work with. I’d been in a Ram 2500 Hemi of some sort since 2004, and they were awesome. If a buy a Ram again in the future (from anywhere but Lithia Ram Missoula) I’d be more than happy to trust the service department again!
Not sure who Tim is? Fortunately I live next door to the GM and he is a great guy and I have bought two new vehicles there in the last couple of years and always get treated well.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Explorerinil

Observer
I thought that was going to be the one but after multiple back to back test drives the Gladiator felt too much like my JKUR recon and the Ram was so much different I figured I would try it for a while. I am sure at some point I will wonder what I have done lol.
You will be happy, the power wagon is a very fun to drive nimble truck. After 10k I’m still 100% satisfied with mine. So far I’ve had on recall (bed step), no problems and did one oil change.

Chorky

Observer
They're both great options, I dont think either one would be a 'bad' choice! how did the ride between the two differ if you don't mind sharing - never been in a JKU.